Old August 3rd 17, 07:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New York Times on Crossrail

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 20:27:13 on
Wed, 2 Aug 2017, Recliner remarked:

1. SPILL to Bedford. Already electrified, but only designed for 100mph
trains. There was a project to upgrade it for more, faster trains, but I
don't know if that project will continue. If it doesn't, IEPs will have
good acceleration, but lower top speeds than the old diesels.

But IEPs aren't expected on that line.

Aren't they...

No, all the ones on order are spoken for by VTEC and GWR.

Not true: do your research.

2. Bedford to Kettering. Newly electrified,

Is it, already?

Not completed, but intended to be.

We are talking about NR and Grayling here. The only thing you can
reasonably expect is that whatever they claim today may change tomorrow.

suitable for 125 mph electric
or diesel trains. IEPs will outperform the existing diesels.

3. Kettering to Leicester and on to Derby, Nottingham and Sheffield.
Electrification work started,

Just a few bridge works.

but work will be suspended indefinitely. Bi-mode IEPs will be able to
run, but performance will be worse than current diesel trains,
specially the Meridians.

So keep the Meridians.

Yes, but not the HSTs.

There's only one tph (to Nottingham) operated by HSTs, and now
electrification has been cancelled they'll have to find something else
to replace the HST. But I doubt it'll be IEPs.

Doubt it all you likeā€¦

Old August 3rd 17, 07:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2017\08\03 07:49, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 20:26:51 on
Wed, 2 Aug 2017, Recliner remarked:

I take it you don't read any railway magazines?

I don't read magazines yet to be printed. MML electrification was only
cancelled ten days ago.

RAIL dated yesterday (Wednesday) has the story on its front cover.
Old August 3rd 17, 08:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:
On 2017\08\03 07:49, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 20:26:51 on
Wed, 2 Aug 2017, Recliner remarked:

I take it you don't read any railway magazines?

I don't read magazines yet to be printed. MML electrification was only
cancelled ten days ago.

RAIL dated yesterday (Wednesday) has the story on its front cover.

Indeed so, and subscribers received their copies earlier in the week, as
per usual. Even before that, there had been strong speculation that
something like this would happen.

Old August 3rd 17, 08:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 02 Aug 2017 16:36:09 -0500
wrote:
In article ,
d () wrote:

On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 13:41:37 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:52:28 on Wed, 2 Aug
2017,
d remarked:

if you extended Thameslink that far north.

How far further north do you think Leicester is than Peterborough?

IMO the Thameslink equivalent on the ELL is the Great Northern into
Moorgate and that only goes as far north as Stevenage. All the
peterborough trains AFAIK
are fast trains that stop at very few stations.

I know you think it's above you to actually check before committing hands to
keyboard but I think you'll find that Thameslink services to Peterborough
start next year. Google "Thameslink Timetable 2018".

I was talking about the current services.

It will be a half-hourly service to Horsham calling at all stations between
Peterborough and Hatfield plus Potters Bar and Finsbury Park as far as the
GN section is concerned. This is as the present hourly slow GN trains from
King's Cross to Peterborough. They also replace present hourly semi-fast
trains off-peak though some extra peak trains to King's Cross will remain.
The latter will be the main use for residual class 365 units.

As someone who uses the Moorgate line at least once a week at the moment and
witnesses the fiction the timetable has become, it'll be interesting to see
how they manage to keep even more trains to better punctuality than is being
managed at the moment.

As an aside, how do trains on the ECML get south of the river, where's the link
to the current thameslink route?

--
Spud

Old August 3rd 17, 10:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 08:36:44 on Thu, 3 Aug
2017, d remarked:

As an aside, how do trains on the ECML get south of the river, where's the link
to the current thameslink route?

Slaps forehead

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/trai...08/03/advanced

Old August 3rd 17, 10:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 3 Aug 2017 11:38:16 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 08:36:44 on Thu, 3 Aug
2017, d remarked:

As an aside, how do trains on the ECML get south of the river, where's the

link
to the current thameslink route?

Slaps forehead

Obviously you're familiar with "copenhagen junction" and "belle isle". I've
never heard of them and have no idea where they are.

--
Spud

Old August 3rd 17, 11:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

In message , at 08:36:44 on Thu, 3 Aug
2017, d remarked:

As an aside, how do trains on the ECML get south of the river, where's the link
to the current thameslink route?

Slaps forehead

Indeed!

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/trai...08/03/advanced

I notice it's shown as a 365, but presumably it's more likely to be a
class 700 in reality?
Old August 3rd 17, 11:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

In message , at 08:36:44 on Thu, 3 Aug
2017, d remarked:

As an aside, how do trains on the ECML get south of the river, where's the

link
to the current thameslink route?

Slaps forehead

Indeed!

Indeed what? Is knowing the precise junction layouts of the various lines
a prerequsite of being able to discuss this?

--
Spud

Old August 3rd 17, 11:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 03 Aug 2017 11:59:22 +0100
Recliner wrote:
On Thu, 3 Aug 2017 10:56:30 +0000 (UTC), d wrote:

On Thu, 3 Aug 2017 11:38:16 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 08:36:44 on Thu, 3 Aug
2017,
d remarked:

As an aside, how do trains on the ECML get south of the river, where's the
link
to the current thameslink route?

Slaps forehead

Obviously you're familiar with "copenhagen junction" and "belle isle". I've
never heard of them and have no idea where they are.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...57685025875056

That looks like it was a fun day out. Did the graffiti vandals do requests?

--
Spud