Old September 26th 17, 01:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Uber shut down in London

"Arthur Figgis" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 25/09/2017 10:47, Recliner wrote:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tfl-inspectors-gave-uber-green-light-10-times-flbp7tqxs?shareToken=f14d27cfb9669def03c9774bbe7ba 501

Uber has hired Thomas de la Mare, QC, to lead its appeal.

But was he hired using the cab-rank rule?

is there any other way

Old September 26th 17, 09:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Saturday, 23 September 2017 12:27:43 UTC+1, DRH wrote:
On Friday, 22 September 2017 11:18:38 UTC+1, Recliner wrote:
TfL has concluded the ride-hailing app firm was not fit and proper to hold
a private hire operator licence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41358640

I wonder if the recent announcement of the impending retirement of the TFL Commissioner for Surface Transport and the withdrawal of Uber's licence are in some way connected.

DRH

There is no such job at TfL. The Commissioner is Mike Brown. If you referring to Leon Daniels then he is the Managing Director of Surface Transport. I keep seeing references to alleged "connections" between events or between Leon and certain companies which are borderline smears. As I have said elsewhere if people think Leon is crooked and have evidence thereof then go to the Police with said evidence. Otherwise people should really not make such "suggestions", or in the case of some people on social media, libellous slurs. It doesn't take the debate anywhere to be chucking muck around.

There is an excellent article about Uber on the London Reconnections blog which sets out where Uber have come from, issues they've had in the States and here and why those issues have TfL (and the Mayor) pause for thought. People seem not to realise that Uber were given 4 months to put things right or to at least present a plan that would get them into compliance. These issues are not new and I suspect, given Uber's culture and "way of doing things", that it thought TfL were bluffing and even if they weren't they could ignore what was going on and "hang the Mayor" in the court of social media opinion. Well they were wrong weren't they. This isn't the US, TfL aren't some tin pot council or State department and the Mayor isn't someone who can be ignored. Obviously we will see what happens with the court appeal case and what evidence TfL present but Uber remain in business until the legal process concludes which could be months away.

Personally they can close down tomorrow for all I care. Taking tens of thousands of cars off the streets would do wonders for congestion.

--
Paul C
via Google
Old September 27th 17, 07:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Apologies for getting the job title wrong.

But no apologies for posing a question as to whether two events, one controversial, are in some way connected. That is fair comment.

And no need for the lecture on social media, chucking muck around etc.

But I would agree the London Reconnections piece is good.

DRH

Old September 27th 17, 07:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
14:41:13 on Tue, 26 Sep 2017, Paul Corfield
remarked:
Personally they can close down tomorrow for all I care. Taking tens
of thousands of cars off the streets would do wonders for congestion.

One of the accusations against Uber in the past (it's not emerged this
time though) is the way the drivers herd around venues, illegally
double-parking etc in order to form a "faux rank" so they can respond to
orders quickly.

Even without the competition aspect, black cabs say it makes it much
less safe for them to drop off fares at such venues.

There's "2 minutes only" parking alongside St Pancras station, and it's
commonly filled with unused hire-cars, which I presume include a fair
number of Ubers.

Old September 27th 17, 07:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2017-09-27 07:23:32 +0000, Roland Perry said:

Even without the competition aspect, black cabs say it makes it much
less safe for them to drop off fares at such venues.

Bear with me while I'm in hysterics. Black cabs have never cared about
whether their stopping place was safe or sensible. The disruption they
cause to the bus network by stopping in stupid places is huge.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old September 27th 17, 08:40 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Thank you for that post.

Regarding your last paragraph, I have to reiterate a point I've
made many times before. The huge increase in traffic congestion
in London has been caused primarily by TfL and anti-motor car
local authorities deliberately making our roads unfit for purpose.

Yesterday I strolled around the City and then from Aldgate to
Whitechapel. I was once again disgusted by the way the road
system had been damaged. I counted the private hire cars in
various long queues of vehicles. There were very few and those
few certainly were not the cause of the congestion and resulting
air pollution.

If Uber go out of business, their drivers will not abandon their
careers. They will drive for another minicab firm and their cars
will still be on the roads.
Old September 27th 17, 08:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 08:31:44 on Wed, 27
Sep 2017, Neil Williams remarked:
Even without the competition aspect, black cabs say it makes it much
less safe for them to drop off fares at such venues.

Bear with me while I'm in hysterics. Black cabs have never cared about
whether their stopping place was safe or sensible. The disruption they
cause to the bus network by stopping in stupid places is huge.

They are doing that because they want the *passenger* to have a safe
trip from the cab to the kerb. Something that triple-parking outside a
rank of Ubers can't provide.
Old September 27th 17, 09:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:40:25 on Wed, 27
Sep 2017, Robin9 remarked:

If Uber go out of business, their drivers will not abandon their
careers. They will drive for another minicab firm and their cars
will still be on the roads.

There's 40,000 of them with the contrary painted on the shrouds they are
waving.
Old September 27th 17, 05:20 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

I haven't seen that, but even if it's true, so what? It has been
pretty well established and accepted that most Uber drivers
also work with local minicab firms. (This is why Uber can provide
a car so quickly in the suburbs)

The question is not what propaganda Uber drivers are currently
disseminating but what will be in their interests if TfL win in court.
Old September 27th 17, 06:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 18:20:11 on Wed, 27
Sep 2017, Robin9 remarked:

I haven't seen that,

[sadly snipped information]

but even if it's true, so what? It has been pretty well established and
accepted that most Uber drivers also work with local minicab firms.
(This is why Uber can provide a car so quickly in the suburbs)

The Uber model allows a degree of flexible working which is hard to
replicate with conventional minicab firms.

One quote in the press: "[my dad] has diabetes so it's important he can
work when he wants so he can attend his medical appointments. Sometimes
he will work 20 hours a day and earn around £300 and on others he will
only make £8 a day."

Thanks, but no thanks, to being one of his passengers in hour 19. £15/hr
is verging on modern slavery, but the well-heeled punters lap it up.