Old November 16th 17, 06:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Croydon

On 2017-11-16, David Cantrell wrote:
On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 03:45:02PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:

Croydon is an abject dump, which is surprising given how many well-off
commuters live there.

Hi! Well-off commuter resident of Croydon here!

The only reason I ever have for going in to central Croydon is to drink
at the Dog n Bull occasionally. There is literally nothing else there of
any interest to me whatsoever. I have local greengrocers and butchers,
and everything else is either delivered from the interwebs or not
available in Croydon town centre anyway.

well I havent been down the market for a few years as I havent lived
in Croydon since 1971, but we used to have poetry readings at the Dog & Bull
in the mid 60's, and Croydon was pretty awful then

--
Martin
Old November 18th 17, 09:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 17:17:08 +0000
(Mark Bestley) wrote:
wrote:

On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 10:11:35 -0800 (PST)
wrote:
I recently went into the Elephant & Castle shopping centre for
probably the= first time in about ten years, looking for a cash
machine when on my way t= o a screening at the Cinema Museum. I used
to use it quite often in the '6= 0s and early '70s, when it wasn't
bad. The top floor only ever had a handf=

The 60s and 70s was before the demographics changed significantly and the
area went downhill faster than a rolling cheese contest.

ul of shops occupied, and this floor was closed and converted into
somethin= g else, offices I think, not many years after it was built.
The remaining = two floors are horrible now.

Agreed, its an utter dump not helped by the run down market surrounding
it on 2 sides.

Whicg 2 sides its onme street and full of crap greengrocers

Eh? Its not a street, its offset from a now pedestrianised area with a sub
level that has the market in which goes around the side of the centre. Which
century did you last visit it? I was there 3 weeks ago as I work 10 mins walk
away.

https://goo.gl/maps/XLBxanNwggD2

And that road is now gone:

https://goo.gl/maps/nv6ztZFTid82

Sorry I got the wrong thread and yes the elephant & castle has nor been
been good for many years

--
Mark

Old November 21st 17, 04:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 01:34:30PM +0000, Basil Jet wrote:
On 2017\11\16 13:32, David Cantrell wrote:
On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 10:33:56AM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
Realistically who completes a full supermarket shop in a town centre
these days? An out of town supermarket and a Sainsburys Local (there
is already one near the station) will do better I reckon.

I expect that most people in London do. And that includes Croydon.

I'll shop anywhere I can park free. Which rules out town centres.

********. You can park for free at all four of my local supermarkets,
two of which are in the town centre.

Erudite is when you make a classical allusion to a
feather. Kinky is when you use the whole chicken.
Old November 21st 17, 04:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2017-11-16 13:39:38 +0000, David Cantrell said:
On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 03:45:02PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
Croydon is an abject dump, which is surprising given how many well-off
commuters live there.

Hi! Well-off commuter resident of Croydon here!
The only reason I ever have for going in to central Croydon is to drink
at the Dog n Bull occasionally. There is literally nothing else there of
any interest to me whatsoever. I have local greengrocers and butchers,
and everything else is either delivered from the interwebs or not
available in Croydon town centre anyway.

Cheers, this is largely how I suspected things to be. FWIW, some of
the housing areas of Croydon are very nice (and pricey)

Well, it turns out I lied to you!

Someone phoned me yesterday and asked if I wanted to come and play board
games at a new "board games cafe" on Croydon High Street. So I did. I
now have two reasons to go into central Croydon.

FWIW it's called Ludoquist, and has a decent choice of beer, good cheap
pizzas, and of course lots of board games, both modern and traditional.

--
David Cantrell | Minister for Arbitrary Justice
Old November 21st 17, 04:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 06:02:09PM +0000, Arthur Figgis wrote:

Try St George's Walk for a post-Soviet style experience.

According to someone in the planning dept it's only still there because
no-one wants to be responsible for the asbestos when they demolish it.
I did point out that if you try hard enough both concrete and asbestos
can be made to accidentally go on fire, but that the fumes would be ...
well, I'd prefer to be downwind of Chernobyl when it was on fire.

--
David Cantrell | Official London Perl Mongers Bad Influence

If you have received this email in error, please add some nutmeg
and egg whites, whisk, and place in a warm oven for 40 minutes.
Old November 21st 17, 06:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2017-11-16 13:39:38 +0000, David Cantrell said:
[...]

funded by kickstarter

tim

Old November 23rd 17, 12:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

FWIW it's called Ludoquist, and has a decent choice of beer, good cheap
pizzas, and of course lots of board games, both modern and traditional.

I work part time just around the corner at the David Lean Cinema in the Croydon Clocktower, and catch my bus home from the stop just before the flyover, where the Davis Theatre used to be, so I walk past the place. Never seen anything like it before. It doesn't appeal to me, but it's an interesting idea.