Old March 12th 18, 10:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Early DLR aerial shot

wrote:
On Sat, 10 Mar 2018 16:54:52 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
I came across this historic image on Twitter, showing the just-built DLR
viaduct crossing the derelict docks at Canary Wharf, before the skyscrapers
were parachuted in. The absense of trains suggests that the pic was taken
in 1986 or 87.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DX35RTNXUAYGYKe?format=jpg&name=large

Was that a power station on the left towards the top or an incinerator?

I think it was Brunswick Wharf Power Station, which was demolished soon
after this picture was taken.

https://isleofdogslife.wordpress.com/2015/11/19/the-rise-and-fall-of-the-brunswick-power-station-at-blackwall/

Now, of course, the left of those three docks contains the future Crossrail
station, the centre has the Jubilee station and the third one still is
still full of water.

The rate at which they're being filled in the Docklands name will soon become
a misnomer.

The Royals still look like docks, but they're being developed, too.

Old March 12th 18, 10:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 10:11:35 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
Was that a power station on the left towards the top or an incinerator?

I think it was Brunswick Wharf Power Station, which was demolished soon
after this picture was taken.

Only around for 35 years. Seems like rather a waste of an expensive asset to
me given it could have been converted to run on anything and was right next to
the river for deliveries. But then we are rather short sighted in this country.

Old March 13th 18, 12:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sunday, 11 March 2018 10:41:37 UTC, Recliner wrote:
Paul Corfield wrote:
On Saturday, 10 March 2018 16:54:53 UTC, Recliner wrote:
I came across this historic image on Twitter, showing the just-built DLR
viaduct crossing the derelict docks at Canary Wharf, before the skyscrapers
were parachuted in. The absense of trains suggests that the pic was taken
in 1986 or 87.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DX35RTNXUAYGYKe?format=jpg&name=large

Now, of course, the left of those three docks contains the future Crossrail
station, the centre has the Jubilee station and the third one still is
still full of water.

The undeveloped Greenwich Peninsula is also interesting.

I don't have an aerial shot like that but I have a few photos of the Isle
of Dogs in similar state when I had a walk round it in the 1980s. The DLR
had progressed a bit when I took my shots as test trains were running. I
have yet to scan the photos but they will end up on Flickr at some point.

Old March 14th 18, 12:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Fairly typical life for a power station; Blyth, Bankside and Didcot ‘A’ lasted a fairy similar time for example. A much longer life, with sometimes several re-equipping during that life, such as at Lots Road, seems to have been quite rare, at least in more recent times.

Battersea was interesting. Planned in the ‘20s and the first half constructed in the ‘30s, then work held up by the war. ‘B’ side completed in 1953 I think. In 1964 there was a fire which put BBC2 off the air on its opening night, and the set which caught fire was never returned to service. The station closed sometime in the ‘80s, so while the station had a long history it only had all six sets operational for some 11 years.

Old March 14th 18, 02:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 10 Mar 2018 16:54:52 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

Great pic.

You can see my house from there... Well, you can't as it hadn't been
built yet!

--

Steve F.
London Docklands, E16, UK
Old March 15th 18, 10:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 11 Mar 2018, John Williamson wrote
(in article ):

On 11/03/2018 10:41, Recliner wrote:

In the digital era, it's era it's so much cheaper and easier to snap away
with abandon, that I hope many more of this sort of 'before' shot will be
taken and survive. At least they don't deteriorate with age; indeed, if RAW
files are kept, they might even improve with age.

Yes, when I was using 2 1/4" square slide film,it used to cost almost a
pound every time I clicked the shutter whether the shot worked or not.
Prints cost a fortune....

2 1/4sq - maybe better known to younger brethren as 6x6 - was a luxury to me,
and I suspect most other photographers of my generation, reserved for very
special occasions.

Default was 35mm colour (Ektachrome, then Fuji) or B&W and roll film for B&W
(Ilford for preference).

Later years saw the growth of the 645 format (6cm x 4.5cm) which gives 16
shots on a roll of 120 film – popularised by the wonderful Bronica ETRS
range.

But with the growth of digital – and no longer having free and easy access
to my own darkroom – I abandoned film when someone helped themselves to my
Bronica kit.
Ken

Old March 17th 18, 10:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Saturday, 10 March 2018 16:54:53 UTC, Recliner wrote:
I came across this historic image on Twitter, showing the just-built DLR
viaduct crossing the derelict docks at Canary Wharf, before the skyscrapers
were parachuted in. The absense of trains suggests that the pic was taken
in 1986 or 87.

Fascinating pictures. I don't think DLR construction is complete in this photo. Although the viaduct is in place, none of the DLR stations have been built yet. You should be able to see West India Quay, (the original) Canary Wharf (demolished and replaced without ever opening), Herons Quay and South Quay.
Interesting to see that the original docklands development buildings didn't last - The (under construction) building at the west end of Canary Wharf and the purple low rise buildings on Herons Quays are already demolished - being replaced with skyscrapers as I type.

Soho restaurant (long shot!) redcat London Transport 13 January 16th 11 04:08 PM
Woolwich DLR and early re-opening of Tower Gateway Bearded[_2_] London Transport 12 February 20th 09 05:19 PM
Drayton Park sighting (long shot!) [email protected] London Transport 1 April 20th 06 11:13 AM
Aerial John London Transport 11 February 10th 04 05:28 PM
CTRL Section 2 aerial photos John Rowland London Transport 1 November 16th 03 10:36 AM