London Transport (uk.transport.london) Discussion of all forms of transport in London.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #71   Report Post  
Old June 12th 18, 10:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,809
Default Plan to pedestrianise London's Oxford Street scrapped

wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 09:03:52 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 15:43:28 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
You just think everyone is wrong.

No, just you. Let me translate the remark you were replying to: most of the
population is smarter than you.

Is that your opinion before or after you've pickled yourself. Its quite
obvious from your past posts that you're a boozing old soak so its fair to
say that anything you say should be taken with an entire cellar of salt.

Go slurp some booze, maybe you'll have
something more worthwhile to say.

I'd have to be seriously drunk to spout the waffle you do, supposedly while
sober.

I suspect you're drunk most of the time.


You certainly behave as if you are. I'm usually cold stone sober when I
post.



As usual with you, plenty of invective, but zero useful information.


Not denying it then?


You'll be able to tell if I'm drunk if I agree with you.


  #72   Report Post  
Old June 12th 18, 10:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,809
Default Plan to pedestrianise London's Oxford Street scrapped

wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 09:03:53 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
There's no such organisation as UK Plc either. Its a figure of speech you
cretin.


If only you weren't so ignorant, you'd know that the correct name is much
shorter than your invented name.


And your name isn't invented? Your mother christened you Recliner did she?

Why would people bother researching things for an imbecile incapable of
understanding anything?

Good point, I guess thats why no one is backing up your position.


Except that everyone else has. You're the ignorant dope.


No, they've been putting up fatuous reasons why it can't happen - tho all
different.


You really need a spell checker: it's spelled 'factual'.

I'm still waiting for someone to post something that validates their arguments
against manston - you lot make the assertions so back them up.


The fact that no airlines want it. Even the airport didn't.

As others have correctly pointed out, its local catchment area is small,
and it's much too far from the main markets, and too close to other busy
airports. It's never even made the short lists of the various commissions
over the decades on expanding airport capacity.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-37552369

Anyway, who does someone who's terrified of flying, and would be too scared
to use whatever new runway is built (or the existing ones), have opinions
on this matter? You know nothing about the airline industry, have never
flown long-haul, never used a hub airport, so even by your exalted
standards, this is a topic on which you're profoundly ignorant.


  #73   Report Post  
Old June 12th 18, 12:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Sep 2017
Posts: 329
Default Plan to pedestrianise London's Oxford Street scrapped

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 09:54:29 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
I'm still waiting for someone to post something that validates their

arguments
against manston - you lot make the assertions so back them up.


The fact that no airlines want it. Even the airport didn't.


The airport didn't because the current owners could get more money by turning
it into housing. The local council tried to save it but had no luck. The
airlines don't want it because there's no infrastructure or transport links
to speak of there.

As others have correctly pointed out, its local catchment area is small,


WHy does the local catchment area matter? You think Heathrow is bothered how
many people from Hounslow fly from it?

and it's much too far from the main markets, and too close to other busy
airports. It's never even made the short lists of the various commissions
over the decades on expanding airport capacity.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-37552369


Not financially viable? Compared to a 14 billion quid load to Heathrow?

Anyway, who does someone who's terrified of flying, and would be too scared


People who are terrified don't fly. You're mistaking being terrified with
finding it a miserable unpleasent experience. But then what would someone
who flies ****ed in 1st class know what its like to slum it in economy for
8 hours anyway.

to use whatever new runway is built (or the existing ones), have opinions
on this matter? You know nothing about the airline industry, have never
flown long-haul, never used a hub airport, so even by your exalted


Haven't I? Guess I must've imagined visited the USA a number of times.

standards, this is a topic on which you're profoundly ignorant.


You're so full of **** you probaly need to keep some toilet duck handy just
in case.

  #74   Report Post  
Old June 12th 18, 01:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,275
Default Plan to pedestrianise London's Oxford Street scrapped

In message
-sept
ember.org, at 08:32:34 on Tue, 12 Jun 2018, Recliner
remarked:

Although I quite liked being "stranded" in Seattle for a day after my
meeting ended - I could play tourist. Not every businessman would think
the same.

True


Luckily I was in a hotel in Downtown, so a trip on the monorail to the
Space Needle was a no-brainer.

Another trip I did was more difficult because I had half a day spare in
a hotel in the suburbs near the Microsoft office[1] with nothing obvious
to do.

[1] I see job descriptions from time to time which say "Must be familiar
with Microsoft Office" - that's OK I've been there three times now.


Presumably you visited Microsoft's Office and Home of the Future
exhibitions?


I don't remember an Office of the Future, but definitely saw the Home of
the Future on a later trip.

It would be interesting to compare their predictions of the
time to the reality of today.


One which did come true was the shifting (aka ripping) of music off DVDs
and onto a home server, which was a bit controversial legally at the
time in Europe (although long permitted in USA).

And did you get taken to the Microsoft Store?


Yes, and got staff discount. But maybe everyone gets that?
--
Roland Perry
  #75   Report Post  
Old June 12th 18, 04:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,809
Default Plan to pedestrianise London's Oxford Street scrapped

Roland Perry wrote:
In message
-sept
ember.org, at 08:32:34 on Tue, 12 Jun 2018, Recliner
remarked:

Although I quite liked being "stranded" in Seattle for a day after my
meeting ended - I could play tourist. Not every businessman would think
the same.

True

Luckily I was in a hotel in Downtown, so a trip on the monorail to the
Space Needle was a no-brainer.

Another trip I did was more difficult because I had half a day spare in
a hotel in the suburbs near the Microsoft office[1] with nothing obvious
to do.

[1] I see job descriptions from time to time which say "Must be familiar
with Microsoft Office" - that's OK I've been there three times now.


Presumably you visited Microsoft's Office and Home of the Future
exhibitions?


I don't remember an Office of the Future, but definitely saw the Home of
the Future on a later trip.

It would be interesting to compare their predictions of the
time to the reality of today.


One which did come true was the shifting (aka ripping) of music off DVDs
and onto a home server, which was a bit controversial legally at the
time in Europe (although long permitted in USA).

And did you get taken to the Microsoft Store?


Yes, and got staff discount. But maybe everyone gets that?


I thought you had to be accompanied by a Microsoft employee.



  #76   Report Post  
Old June 12th 18, 04:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,809
Default Plan to pedestrianise London's Oxford Street scrapped

wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 09:54:29 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
I'm still waiting for someone to post something that validates their

arguments
against manston - you lot make the assertions so back them up.


The fact that no airlines want it. Even the airport didn't.


The airport didn't because the current owners could get more money by turning
it into housing. The local council tried to save it but had no luck. The
airlines don't want it because there's no infrastructure or transport links
to speak of there.

As others have correctly pointed out, its local catchment area is small,


WHy does the local catchment area matter? You think Heathrow is bothered how
many people from Hounslow fly from it?


So how would people from, say, Oxford or Northampton, have got to Manston?


and it's much too far from the main markets, and too close to other busy
airports. It's never even made the short lists of the various commissions
over the decades on expanding airport capacity.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-37552369


Not financially viable? Compared to a 14 billion quid load to Heathrow?


HAL will be funding the airport expansion itself, with funds raised based
on the increased business that the new runway will bring in. Nobody was
prepared to advance money for Manston expansion, as it was so obviously not
viable.


Anyway, who does someone who's terrified of flying, and would be too scared


People who are terrified don't fly. You're mistaking being terrified with
finding it a miserable unpleasent experience. But then what would someone
who flies ****ed in 1st class know what its like to slum it in economy for
8 hours anyway.

to use whatever new runway is built (or the existing ones), have opinions
on this matter? You know nothing about the airline industry, have never
flown long-haul, never used a hub airport, so even by your exalted


Haven't I? Guess I must've imagined visited the USA a number of times.


Actually, my first dozen or so trips to the US were in cattle class.
Luckily, my career took off, so I longer needed to mix with the
loud-mouthed ignorant plebs like you in the back. My next 50 or so trips to
North America were in business (or occasionally first) class. So will all
future trips.



  #77   Report Post  
Old June 12th 18, 04:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,275
Default Plan to pedestrianise London's Oxford Street scrapped

In message
-sept
ember.org, at 15:03:59 on Tue, 12 Jun 2018, Recliner
remarked:

And did you get taken to the Microsoft Store?


Yes, and got staff discount. But maybe everyone gets that?


I thought you had to be accompanied by a Microsoft employee.


I was, because that's who I was visiting, so they showed me around.
--
Roland Perry
  #78   Report Post  
Old June 12th 18, 04:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Sep 2017
Posts: 329
Default Plan to pedestrianise London's Oxford Street scrapped

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 15:03:59 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 09:54:29 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
I'm still waiting for someone to post something that validates their
arguments
against manston - you lot make the assertions so back them up.

The fact that no airlines want it. Even the airport didn't.


The airport didn't because the current owners could get more money by turning
it into housing. The local council tried to save it but had no luck. The
airlines don't want it because there's no infrastructure or transport links
to speak of there.

As others have correctly pointed out, its local catchment area is small,


WHy does the local catchment area matter? You think Heathrow is bothered how
many people from Hounslow fly from it?


So how would people from, say, Oxford or Northampton, have got to Manston?


The same way they currently get to Gatwick. Road or train via London (if a
station was built there).

and it's much too far from the main markets, and too close to other busy
airports. It's never even made the short lists of the various commissions
over the decades on expanding airport capacity.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-37552369


Not financially viable? Compared to a 14 billion quid load to Heathrow?


HAL will be funding the airport expansion itself, with funds raised based
on the increased business that the new runway will bring in. Nobody was


We'll see. I won't hold my breath.

prepared to advance money for Manston expansion, as it was so obviously not
viable.


Manston is not currently viable whereas heathrow is. Its always easier to make
a business case to expand something that already works than something that
doesn't and needs investment to work. The government however should take a long
term view beyond simple profit and loss. If the country really needs another
runway near london then Manston would fit the job if the govn really gave a
toss about urban air and noise pollution. If its actually more about profit
for Heathrows owners then obviously it stands no chance.

Haven't I? Guess I must've imagined visited the USA a number of times.


Actually, my first dozen or so trips to the US were in cattle class.
Luckily, my career took off, so I longer needed to mix with the
loud-mouthed ignorant plebs like you in the back. My next 50 or so trips to
North America were in business (or occasionally first) class. So will all
future trips.


I endure flying because the holiday at the other end is worth it. No way would
I fly 50 times to the US simply for work business class or not. They could
shove the job. Still, there's always some mug who'll do it because he thinks
it gives him status, just like the guys who think being tethered to their
business phone is an "I've made it" status symbol rather that an indication
that they're nothing but obedient cattle at their bosses beck and call.

  #79   Report Post  
Old June 12th 18, 04:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,809
Default Plan to pedestrianise London's Oxford Street scrapped

Roland Perry wrote:
In message
-sept
ember.org, at 15:03:59 on Tue, 12 Jun 2018, Recliner
remarked:

And did you get taken to the Microsoft Store?

Yes, and got staff discount. But maybe everyone gets that?


I thought you had to be accompanied by a Microsoft employee.


I was, because that's who I was visiting, so they showed me around.


Yes, I think that's part of the standard offer to Redmond visitors. They
were quite surprised when I politely declined, on each of the occasions I
was invited to visit the Store.

Like you, when I had spare time on one visit, I rode the monorail to the
Space Needle, but was disappointed by how dated it seemed. On the other
hand, the Underground Seattle tour, highly recommended to me by a MSFT
super techie, was excellent. He had a large collection of little cubes on
his shelf, each representing a patent he'd been awarded. He had dozens of
them.
  #80   Report Post  
Old June 12th 18, 04:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,809
Default Plan to pedestrianise London's Oxford Street scrapped

wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 15:03:59 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 09:54:29 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
I'm still waiting for someone to post something that validates their
arguments
against manston - you lot make the assertions so back them up.

The fact that no airlines want it. Even the airport didn't.

The airport didn't because the current owners could get more money by turning
it into housing. The local council tried to save it but had no luck. The
airlines don't want it because there's no infrastructure or transport links
to speak of there.

As others have correctly pointed out, its local catchment area is small,

WHy does the local catchment area matter? You think Heathrow is bothered how
many people from Hounslow fly from it?


So how would people from, say, Oxford or Northampton, have got to Manston?


The same way they currently get to Gatwick. Road or train via London (if a
station was built there).


Gatwick is already too far for such people, and it has excellent motorway
and rail links.


and it's much too far from the main markets, and too close to other busy
airports. It's never even made the short lists of the various commissions
over the decades on expanding airport capacity.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-37552369

Not financially viable? Compared to a 14 billion quid load to Heathrow?


HAL will be funding the airport expansion itself, with funds raised based
on the increased business that the new runway will bring in. Nobody was


We'll see. I won't hold my breath.

prepared to advance money for Manston expansion, as it was so obviously not
viable.


Manston is not currently viable whereas heathrow is. Its always easier to make
a business case to expand something that already works than something that
doesn't and needs investment to work. The government however should take a long
term view beyond simple profit and loss. If the country really needs another
runway near london then Manston would fit the job if the govn really gave a
toss about urban air and noise pollution. If its actually more about profit
for Heathrows owners then obviously it stands no chance.

Haven't I? Guess I must've imagined visited the USA a number of times.


Actually, my first dozen or so trips to the US were in cattle class.
Luckily, my career took off, so I longer needed to mix with the
loud-mouthed ignorant plebs like you in the back. My next 50 or so trips to
North America were in business (or occasionally first) class. So will all
future trips.


I endure flying because the holiday at the other end is worth it. No way would
I fly 50 times to the US simply for work business class or not. They could
shove the job.


Obviously you wouldn't, as you're afraid of flying. I enjoy it.




Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No Crossrail stations to be scrapped in cost-cutting 1506[_2_] London Transport 1 September 28th 10 11:01 PM
LEZ phase 3 for vans and minibuses scrapped - Boris has no balls Mizter T London Transport 7 February 4th 09 08:07 PM
Western Extension Scrapped Tom Barry London Transport 18 November 29th 08 06:52 PM
Boundary zone n fares scrapped? Colin Rosenstiel London Transport 9 January 6th 07 05:04 PM
Massive Oxford Street Traffic Jam Saturday 28 Feb ? Jonathan London Transport 1 February 29th 04 04:26 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 London Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about London Transport"

 

Copyright © 2017