Old April 13th 04, 07:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Disabled 'to sue for Tube access'

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 at 08:30:36, The Only Living Boy in New Cross
wrote:

What I find more annoying is the fact that the lifts on the JLE, which
was specifically designed with accessibility in mind, are constantly
out of order...

And when they are in order, they ponk of pee....
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 8 March 2004

Old April 13th 04, 10:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Or better still, choose any Tube line and have a rant at young mothers and
fathers with baby buggies.

I'm sure everyone would be most happy to allow such contraptions onto
the tube in rush hour if a triple fare is charged for each one to
compensate for the three adult standing places it takes up.
Old April 13th 04, 11:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 15:58:31 -0700, James wrote:

Or better still, choose any Tube line and have a rant at young mothers and
fathers with baby buggies.

I'm sure everyone would be most happy to allow such contraptions onto
the tube in rush hour if a triple fare is charged for each one to
compensate for the three adult standing places it takes up.

And prams are banned on Tubes in rush hour?
Old April 14th 04, 08:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Andrew P Smith" wrote in message

I agree with what you are saying but it would mean
clever engineering and the train stopping in exactly
the right place every time for the gap fillers to work properly.

Unless the gap fillers were fitted to the train, not the platform.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old April 14th 04, 12:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:

What I find more annoying is the fact that the lifts on the JLE,
which was specifically designed with accessibility in mind, are
constantly out of order...

And when they are in order, they ponk of pee....

Not in my experience. I've used quite a few while travelling with my
folded bike and they generally seem fairly nice and clean. Even the
ones in West Ham are nice, and if the people of West Ham can keep the
lifts clean surely anywhere else can!

On the subjects of the JLE lifts, does anyone else find the man who
does the announcments on all of them funny sounding? The way he says
"PLEASE DO NOT OBSTRUCT THE DOORS! STAND CLEAR OF THE DOORS PLEASE." is
really very odd.

--
message by Robin May, enforcer of sod's law.
"Dust Hill guy likes the Gordon clock"

"You MUST NOT drive dangerously" - the Highway Code
Spelling lesson: then and than are different words.
Old April 14th 04, 06:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 at 12:39:58, Robin May
wrote:

Annabel Smyth wrote the following in:

And when they are in order, they ponk of pee....

Not in my experience. I've used quite a few while travelling with my
folded bike and they generally seem fairly nice and clean. Even the
ones in West Ham are nice, and if the people of West Ham can keep the
lifts clean surely anywhere else can!

Canning Town can't, if the expressions on the faces of the three young
people who used the lift yesterday were anything to go by!

On the subjects of the JLE lifts, does anyone else find the man who
does the announcments on all of them funny sounding? The way he says
"PLEASE DO NOT OBSTRUCT THE DOORS! STAND CLEAR OF THE DOORS PLEASE." is
really very odd.

Haven't been on a JLE lift yet, only DLR ones - which did ponk of pee!
Old April 15th 04, 08:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

From: "Brimstone"
Date: 09/04/2004 09:18 GMT Standard Time

The primary concern with allowing wheelchairs onto the Underground,
specifically the tube lines, is getting them out in the event of an
emergency. The interconnecting doors between cars aren't wide
enough nor is the door in the front of the train allowing
emergency access to the track permitting emergency evacuation
along the track to the next station.

Therefore it is surely the trains that are unsafe and not
wheelchair users? Back in the 1980s London Transport published a
pathetic leaflet about disabled access and concerning wheelchair
users and the underground it as good as said "Bugger off, you're a
fire hazard. Why not take a taxi instead". It seems the same
cavalier attitude is still abroad today, even though the world has
moved on and disability awareness has increased (in most places).

The underground people seem to have stuck their head in the sand
and hoped disability access problems would go away. They won't, and
they're just about to get it in the neck for their longstanding
negligence - which serves them right.

Complete rubbish. If a wheelchair user needs to access any level other
than ground level, a lift is required. In the event of fire, the lifts
are not available, and people have to use the stairs. In those
circumstances, wheelchair users have to be carried to ground level. The
same applies to tube trains.
--
Richard J.