Old April 19th 04, 06:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tube Map + Property Values

Here's something I think would be interesting...

I'd like to see a tube map cut into zones representing the property values
of the area around the tube station. I don't know London that well, but I
know places like Amersham and Cockfosters are pretty wealthy areas, in
addition to the obvious central section. I've heard areas around Limehouse
and Westferry are rather poor and depressed areas, for example.

Could anyone whip up something like this? It would really help someone like
me, who loves the tube and wants to explore London using it, but doesn't
want to get off at a shady place and get mugged.

Jonathan Osborne

Old April 19th 04, 07:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Jonathan Osborne
writes
Here's something I think would be interesting...

I'd like to see a tube map cut into zones representing the property values
of the area around the tube station. I don't know London that well, but I
know places like Amersham and Cockfosters are pretty wealthy areas, in
addition to the obvious central section. I've heard areas around Limehouse
and Westferry are rather poor and depressed areas, for example.

Could anyone whip up something like this? It would really help someone like
me, who loves the tube and wants to explore London using it, but doesn't
want to get off at a shady place and get mugged.

I've never seen such a map and can't imagine how you'd compile one
easily. Perhaps the best guide is "Where to Live in London", a book
published by the London Evening Standard which take a remarkably
comprehensive and objective view on what areas are like throughout the
Capital.

One final word of caution. Don't assume that using someone else's
(subjective) opinion will somehow protect you from being mugged.
Although some places are certainly much more unpleasant than others,
It's quite possible to walk around Hackney or Bethnal Green and *not* be
mugged, just like it's possible to *be* mugged in Kensington or Bromley.
(I'm regularly asked about this sort of thing by clients and although I
fully understand the thinking behind the question, if you stop and think
about it for a moment, any answer is effectively worthless because going
out anywhere at any time is some sort of "risk".)

If you love the Tube and presumably London, go out and enjoy it. If
you're especially bothered take a friend and/or confine yourself to
daylight hours. But above all, as you said yourself: enjoy it!
--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for
Old April 19th 04, 07:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 at 13:40:57, Jonathan Osborne
wrote:

Here's something I think would be interesting...

I'd like to see a tube map cut into zones representing the property values
of the area around the tube station. I don't know London that well, but I
know places like Amersham and Cockfosters are pretty wealthy areas, in
addition to the obvious central section. I've heard areas around Limehouse
and Westferry are rather poor and depressed areas, for example.

Westferry's far from poor, at least, what I've seen of it!

Could anyone whip up something like this? It would really help someone like
me, who loves the tube and wants to explore London using it, but doesn't
want to get off at a shady place and get mugged.

You're basically likely to get mugged if you wander around looking lost,
or use your mobile phone in an obvious place. If you walk around
looking as though you know where you're going, you are far less likely
to be marked out as vulnerable.
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 8 March 2004
Old April 19th 04, 08:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Annabel Smyth" wrote in message

You're basically likely to get mugged if you wander around looking lost,
or use your mobile phone in an obvious place.

Flashing a rolex, whilst getting out of a taxi, fumbling with a full wallet
of twenties also helps!

If you walk around
looking as though you know where you're going, you are far less likely
to be marked out as vulnerable.

Streetwise, in other words. All those children wrapped up in cotton wool
these days will have some hard lessons to learn later in life.

Old April 19th 04, 09:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jonathan Osborne wrote:
Here's something I think would be interesting...

I'd like to see a tube map cut into zones representing the property
values of the area around the tube station. I don't know London
that well, but I know places like Amersham and Cockfosters are
pretty wealthy areas, in addition to the obvious central section.
I've heard areas around Limehouse and Westferry are rather poor and
depressed areas, for example.

Could anyone whip up something like this? It would really help
someone like me, who loves the tube and wants to explore London
using it, but doesn't want to get off at a shady place and get
mugged.

You should not assume that being in an affluent area means you are safe
from mugging. Quite the reverse in some areas in fact, because the
muggers know that people in "wealthy" areas are more likely to be
carrying desirable objects like a laptop or an iPod or the latest mobile
phone.

And if you think Limehouse or Westferry are poor and depressed, you
ought to take a journey on the DLR sometime soon.
--
Richard J.

Old April 19th 04, 10:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jonathan Osborne" wrote in message

It would really help someone like
me, who loves the tube and wants
to explore London using it, but doesn't
want to get off at a shady place and get mugged.

Speaking as a 6 foot white man in his late 30s who typically carries a
plastic bag..

The dangerous parts of London are quiet and suffer from poor transport
links. The immediate vicinites of tube stations do not qualify. The only
real exception to this is Brixton, which I have always found to have a
mildly menacing atmosphere, but so long as you leave the station and walk
briskly like you know where you are going, and do not allow yourself to be
seen using a map either on the train after Stockwell or after leaving the
train, you will be fine there in daytime or even up to about midnight.

Don't walk into any council housing estates at any time of day or night.
Don't walk canal towpaths alone in any neighbourhood, no matter how affluent
it might seem. Don't explore the abandoned railways in the Surrey Quays area
alone. I've heard the Finsbury Park - Highgate abandoned railway is also a
muggers paradise. NEVER walk down Cold Blow Lane without at the very least a
nuclear deterrent.

Don't wear a suit.

Certain stations at the southern end of the Northern Line have next train
indicators in the ticket hall. This is because passengers were being mugged
on the platforms, so prefer to wait in the ticket hall until the train is
due. This is probably only a problem late at night.

Having said that, the one time I was nearly mugged in London was on a
platform at Clapham Junction not long after the evening rush hour... but I
was wearing a suit.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old April 19th 04, 11:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , John Rowland
writes
Don't walk into any council housing estates at any time of day or night.

I often do that.

Don't walk canal towpaths alone in any neighbourhood, no matter how affluent
it might seem.

And that.

Don't explore the abandoned railways in the Surrey Quays area
alone.

I've not done that but have always meant to.

I've heard the Finsbury Park - Highgate abandoned railway is also a
muggers paradise.

Ditto this.

Don't wear a suit.

I'm usually wearing a smart blazer, collar and tie.

Mind you, I suppose having 30 - 40 people following attentively behind
me helps....... :-)

Old April 20th 04, 04:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
Jonathan Osborne wrote:
[...]

Well, if I spoke wrong, I apologize. What I want is just a map for the sake
of having a map -- nevermind the phantom muggings!

My friend just got back from three months' study in London and he said the
Limehouse looked shady. Mind you, he lived in Knightsbridge the entire
time, so it could be a question of relativity.

I suppose I could just use a website that lists homes and flats for sale,
and go by the prices. Maybe I'll do this one of these days when I'm bored.

Jonathan Osborne

Old April 20th 04, 07:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 23:17:17 +0100 John Rowland
said...

Don't walk into any council housing estates at any time of day or night.

So what are people who live on those estates supposed to do to?

--
Phil Richards
London, N4
Old April 20th 04, 08:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Phil Richards" wrote in message
T...
On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 23:17:17 +0100 John Rowland
said...

Don't walk into any council housing estates at any time of day or night.

So what are people who live on those estates supposed to do to?

Get mugged!

I wasn't suggesting that instant death would follow if he set foot in a
housing estate, just that he can drastically limit his probability of being
a victim if he uses a little sense before deciding where to walk.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped