Old April 26th 04, 09:22 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Default Station names

"Annabel Smyth" wrote in message
Tom Anderson wrote:

what about Seven Sisters? i know that's a road,
a roundabout and a station, but where does the
name come from (the Pleiades, i guess, but how?).

No, I think it was after a line of seven trees (The Seven
Sisters) that once upon a time lined the street.

And an image of 7 trees makes up the motif on the Victoria Line platforms.

I think there was a pub called the Seven Sisters there as well.

Er... where's the roundabout at Seven Sisters?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old April 26th 04, 09:30 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:

what about Seven Sisters? i know that's a road,
a roundabout and a station, but where does the
name come from (the Pleiades, i guess, but how?).

No, I think it was after a line of seven trees (The Seven
Sisters) that once upon a time lined the street.

And an image of 7 trees makes up the motif on the Victoria Line platforms.

Though the balloons on the tiles at Finsbury Park are the wrong
Finsbury, aren't they? (So the tiles are not infallible...)

I think there was a pub called the Seven Sisters there as well.

Talking of junctions, the Nag's Head (which was an O'Neil's for the past
few years) has now closed completely and is just a tat shop now.

Er... where's the roundabout at Seven Sisters?

I haven't bloody got it!

:-)
Old April 26th 04, 10:24 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote the following in:

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Brimstone wrote:

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
On 25 Apr 2004, Robin May wrote:

"Brian Watson" wrote the
following in:

I believe the north London station has already (on at least
one sign) been renamed Golda's Green by the skilful
application of a bit of spray paint?

Hackney Wick has been renamed "Hackneys Wicked". No
apostrophe in "Hackneys" though. Honestly, what do they teach
kids these days.

how do you know it's not an archaically-formed plural noun
phrase? there may be Hackneys wicked, Hackneys good and
Hackneys indifferent, but they're all Hackneys of one sort or
another.

Isn't this sub-thread becoming rather hackneyed?

oh, that's poor - you're really starting to get on my wick now.

I would have thought you'd have a wicked sense of humour.

--
message by Robin May, enforcer of sod's law.
"Dust Hill guy likes the Gordon clock"

"You MUST NOT drive dangerously" - the Highway Code
Spelling lesson: then and than are different words.
Old April 26th 04, 10:39 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Dave Newt" firebird.remove.net.this.remove.me.20.den@spamgou rmet.com
wrote in message t.net...

Seanie O'Kilfoyle wrote:

"Dave Newt" firebird.remove.net.this.remove.me.20.den@spamgou rmet.com
wrote in message

t.net...

Been a while since I went to Southall. I can tell the difference; I had
just forgotten.

(Of course, Panjabi script is not officially recognised even in

Pakistan.)

Spoken very Pashtunately

Gesundheit.

Hesus !

Old April 26th 04, 10:56 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

In message , John Rowland
writes
"Ian Jelf" wrote in message

Except that for once there *might* be a grain of
truth in the Infanta story.....

We were told last year at a local history lecture in
Southwark that the land south from the Thames
to well beyond and including the present day
the E&C *was* given to Catherine of Aragon
when she first came to England (landing near
the site of the present day "Globe", incidentally.

So, although it's *probably* an urban myth,
there is a slim chance, after debunking it all
these years, that it might have been true all along.

Slim indeed. Aragon and Castille are separate places.

0121-355 2849lthough she was a Princess of both.

Please not, I'm *not* trying to set up the "Infanta de Castille" story
as fact, merely pointing out that it's not *quite* as preposterous as
used to be said (not least by me!).
--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for

Old April 27th 04, 04:59 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Robin May wrote:
[...]

Maybe, but there's no need to have a downer on him.

Old April 27th 04, 10:43 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Seeing you're all going on ad nauseum about station names, how about
my local one, Canning Town?

Would be interested in knowing its origin. I've heard everything, from
the fact it comes from the name of former statesman Sir George Canning
(who was also Prime Minister for a few months... had a fascinating
life!) (but what's his link to the area then?)
http://www.brainyencyclopedia.com/en...e_canning.html
for his bio....

Then there are some who say it comes from the canning factories that
popped up there in the early 19th century.

Then others say it was named after John Charles Canning (Lord
Canning), who was a governor of India in the early 19th century.
Old April 27th 04, 11:15 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:

what about Seven Sisters? i know that's a road,
a roundabout and a station, but where does the
name come from (the Pleiades, i guess, but how?).

No, I think it was after a line of seven trees (The Seven
Sisters) that once upon a time lined the street.

Er... where's the roundabout at Seven Sisters?

Oops. Obviously, when i said 'roundabout', i meant 'junction'.

Sorry, not been up there in rather a while.

tom

--
the themes of time-travel, dreams, madness, and destiny are inextricably confused

Old April 27th 04, 11:49 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, John Rowland wrote:

Er... where's the roundabout at Seven Sisters?

Oops. Obviously, when i said 'roundabout', i meant 'junction'.

Is that junction called Seven Sisters? I've always known it as Wards'
Corner.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old April 27th 04, 12:46 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message

How many London placenames (and, moreover, station names) are based on
trees? Seven Sisters, Sevenoaks, Royal Oak, Burnt Oak, Poplar ...

I thought Poplar was called Poplar 'cos lots of people like it.

You're thinking of nearby Popliar

Izerntit