Old January 17th 11, 07:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default DLR Extension To Stratford International

Does anyone know when this is scheduled to open?

The Tfl website says "early 2011" which could mean anything between
now and Easter. I thought it was originally meant to open last year,
so presumably there are some delaying factors. If so, what is causing
the delays?

Old January 17th 11, 08:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jan 17, 8:46*am, Paul wrote:
Does anyone know when this is scheduled to open?

The Tfl website says "early 2011" which could mean anything between
now and Easter. *I thought it was originally meant to open last year,
so presumably there are some delaying factors. *If so, what is causing
the delays?

Beginning of the April was the last date I heard.
Old January 17th 11, 09:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 01:33:42 -0800 (PST)
Garius wrote:
On Jan 17, 8:46=A0am, Paul wrote:
Does anyone know when this is scheduled to open?

The Tfl website says "early 2011" which could mean anything between
now and Easter. =A0I thought it was originally meant to open last year,
so presumably there are some delaying factors. =A0If so, what is causing
the delays?

Beginning of the April was the last date I heard.

I'm still wondering how the DLR running this service is an advantage over
the old NLL service. Seems to me all its done is spent a huge amount of money
and given people a long walk if they wish to continue beyond stratford on
the NLL. Its not as if getting to Stratford from the east part of the DLR was
hard before.

B2003

Old January 17th 11, 10:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
Paul writes

Does anyone know when this is scheduled to open?

The Tfl website says "early 2011" which could mean anything between
now and Easter.

February, according to the TfL Rail and Underground Report of last
November:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...-MD-Report.pdf

--
Paul Terry
Old January 17th 11, 10:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Terry" wrote in message

In message
,
Paul writes

Does anyone know when this is scheduled to open?

The Tfl website says "early 2011" which could mean anything between
now and Easter.

February, according to the TfL Rail and Underground Report of last
November:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...-MD-Report.pdf

Specifically, 24 Feb apparently:
http://www.travelmole.com/stories/1145678.php

Old January 17th 11, 10:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Garius wrote:
On Jan 17, 8:46=A0am, Paul wrote:
Does anyone know when this is scheduled to open?

The Tfl website says "early 2011" which could mean anything between
now and Easter. =A0I thought it was originally meant to open last
year, so presumably there are some delaying factors. =A0If so, what
is causing the delays?

Beginning of the April was the last date I heard.

I'm still wondering how the DLR running this service is an advantage
over the old NLL service. Seems to me all its done is spent a huge
amount of money and given people a long walk if they wish to continue
beyond stratford on the NLL. Its not as if getting to Stratford from
the east part of the DLR was hard before.

- Much more frequent services (rather than only every 30 minutes at
best)
- Several additional stops, so more people will be within easy walking
distance of a stop
- A more flexible network, with two branches both south and north of
Canning Town
- A direct link to Stratford International

Old January 17th 11, 01:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 11:46:59 -0000
"Recliner" wrote:
- Much more frequent services (rather than only every 30 minutes at

The jubilee line already does that anyway from Canning Town. When you add
that to the NLL services there was already a more than adequate service on
that route.

- Several additional stops, so more people will be within easy walking

Thats what buses are for and the distances are pretty small anyway.

- A more flexible network, with two branches both south and north of
Canning Town

Also a more complex network.

- A direct link to Stratford International

Which is used by precisely nobody.

B2003

Old January 17th 11, 01:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote:
- Much more frequent services (rather than only every 30 minutes at

The jubilee line already does that anyway from Canning Town. When you
add that to the NLL services there was already a more than adequate
service on that route.

As you well know, the purpose was to grow a network, not just provide an
increased frequency between Canning Town and Stratford stations.

- Several additional stops, so more people will be within easy
walking

Thats what buses are for and the distances are pretty small anyway.

Perhaps your nearest Tube station should shut for the same reason? It
would certainly stop you complaining so much about the Tube.

- A more flexible network, with two branches both south and north of
Canning Town

Also a more complex network.

You're obviously in an even worse temper than usual today. Perhaps you'd
prefer that they'd just shut down the line instead of improving it?
Compare it to the huge rise in ridership of the Croydon trams, compared
to the infrequent services they replaced (eg, to Wimbledon), which was a
similar sort of project.

- A direct link to Stratford International

Which is used by precisely nobody.

And you'd obviously prefer that it stayed that way.

Old January 17th 11, 02:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 14:35:43 -0000
"Recliner" wrote:
The jubilee line already does that anyway from Canning Town. When you
add that to the NLL services there was already a more than adequate
service on that route.

As you well know, the purpose was to grow a network, not just provide an
increased frequency between Canning Town and Stratford stations.

I think many would agree that the DLR network is quite big enough already.
No matter how many upgrades they do to it , at its heart its still a
glorified tram and is no substitute for a proper train line.

Thats what buses are for and the distances are pretty small anyway.

Perhaps your nearest Tube station should shut for the same reason? It
would certainly stop you complaining so much about the Tube.

My nearest tube station is over half a mile from my house. I don't complain.
I have the option of getting a bus if I want but I'm quite capable of managing
such a short walk.

Also a more complex network.

You're obviously in an even worse temper than usual today. Perhaps you'd
prefer that they'd just shut down the line instead of improving it?

Since I don't live there or travel there I don't realluy care one way or
the other. But if they were going to spend money I'd have though upgrading
the NLL over there would have been a more sensible and cheaper way to go.
Instead of spending god knows how many hundreds of millions rebuilding the
stations and relaying the track just so they can run smaller trains.

Compare it to the huge rise in ridership of the Croydon trams, compared
to the infrequent services they replaced (eg, to Wimbledon), which was a
similar sort of project.

Well I think you hit the nail on the head - infrequent. And they did change
the route too.

Which is used by precisely nobody.

And you'd obviously prefer that it stayed that way.

Couldn't care less. But its been a ghost station since it was built and
I'd lay money on it going back to being one after the olympics too.

B2003

Old January 17th 11, 06:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote:
The jubilee line already does that anyway from Canning Town. When
you add that to the NLL services there was already a more than
adequate service on that route.

As you well know, the purpose was to grow a network, not just
provide an increased frequency between Canning Town and Stratford
stations.

I think many would agree that the DLR network is quite big enough
already.
No matter how many upgrades they do to it , at its heart its still a
glorified tram and is no substitute for a proper train line.

Why so? The DLR trains are undoubtedly superior to the 313s in every
respect, and apart from not being airconditioned, I prefer them to 378s
(ie, more comfortable, more seats, much better views). The performance
is at least as good, and the capacity of a 3-carriage DLR is more than a
4-car 378, and much more than a 313. And that's before you get to the
ability to go round sharp bends and cope with severe gradients. They
also offer stepless access to the trains, rare on 'proper train lines'.