Old May 15th 04, 11:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Those "Pre Pay users" Oyster validators

On Thu, 13 May 2004 at 14:24:36, Dominic wrote:

Many posts in this group mention that actually, ALL Oyster users have
validate their cards to avoid an unresolved journey. My question is,
why did LU/Transys print those misleading Pre Pay users only notices?

I don't think that's altogether true, though. As a Travelcard holder, I
don't have to swipe in and out on the DLR, and I can't between Streatham
and Blackfriars, as there's nowhere to do so - but my ticket is
perfectly valid, nevertheless. I wouldn't swipe in at Kenny O, simply
because I don't think I'd need to... after all, I don't at Bank, if I'm
changing from the DLR there, as sometimes happens, and no problem the
other end.
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 9 May 2004
Old May 15th 04, 06:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Annabel Smyth wrote:
On Thu, 13 May 2004 at 14:24:36, Dominic wrote:

Many posts in this group mention that actually, ALL Oyster users have
validate their cards to avoid an unresolved journey. My question is,
why did LU/Transys print those misleading Pre Pay users only notices?

I don't think that's altogether true, though. As a Travelcard holder, I
don't have to swipe in and out on the DLR, and I can't between Streatham
and Blackfriars, as there's nowhere to do so - but my ticket is
perfectly valid, nevertheless. I wouldn't swipe in at Kenny O, simply
because I don't think I'd need to... after all, I don't at Bank, if I'm
changing from the DLR there, as sometimes happens, and no problem the
other end.

So you're saying that you don't touch the validators when you enter a
DLR station, and you don't touch them when you exit a DLR station?

Brad
Old May 16th 04, 01:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 15 May 2004 at 18:37:43, TheOneKEA wrote:

So you're saying that you don't touch the validators when you enter a
DLR station, and you don't touch them when you exit a DLR station?

Correct. If you read the Oyster blurb, you will see that there is no
requirement to do so.
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 9 May 2004
Old June 8th 04, 08:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

TheOneKEA wrote in message ...

So you're saying that you don't touch the validators when you enter a
DLR station, and you don't touch them when you exit a DLR station?

Sounds like she's saying that you don't (or shouldn't) need to
swipe the card on the validator when you are
a) interchanging between operators/lines at an interchange station
and
b) when you have a travelcard, as opposed to prepay.

With prepay, there is the possibility of having an unclosed
or ambiguous journey. This isn't usually the case with
travelcards.

However, it also appears that you *do* sometimes have to
validate the card, even with travelcards. I don't know why,
and I don't know where I first heard it.

Richard [in PO7]
Old June 9th 04, 01:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Annabel Smyth typed

I've recently changed my Oyster to contain a bus pass and some pre-pay,
and I have a horrible feeling that half the time it is taking off the
pre-pay, not using the pass (I haven't tried it on the tube yet). I
don't know how one can stop it doing that.....

Ask a nice ticket office chap(pess) at a Tube station for a printout of
your Oyster usage. If your expediture disagrees with your entitlement,
phone the Oyster Helpline.

FWIW I have a Bus Pass with added PrePay for my Tube use. I've never had
money deducted for bus use.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old May 15th 04, 06:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

(I apologize in advance if this is duplicated; my mail tool crashed
unexpectedly when I sent the message).

Annabel Smyth wrote:
On Thu, 13 May 2004 at 14:24:36, Dominic wrote:

Many posts in this group mention that actually, ALL Oyster users have
validate their cards to avoid an unresolved journey. My question is,
why did LU/Transys print those misleading Pre Pay users only notices?

I don't think that's altogether true, though. As a Travelcard holder, I
don't have to swipe in and out on the DLR, and I can't between Streatham
and Blackfriars, as there's nowhere to do so - but my ticket is
perfectly valid, nevertheless. I wouldn't swipe in at Kenny O, simply
because I don't think I'd need to... after all, I don't at Bank, if I'm
changing from the DLR there, as sometimes happens, and no problem the
other end.

So you don't touch a validator when you enter or exit a DLR station,
even if you previously went through a gateline?

Brad