Old September 28th 19, 02:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Heathrow CC

In message , at 14:47:20 on Sat, 28 Sep
2019, Recliner remarked:

I live north of the river, and my rail journeys to and from Heathrow
are always on the Piccadilly line. The Picc serves far more stations in
London than Crossrail will.

It's a rather tedious way to get to and from work at Heathrow, if you
live north of Kings Cross.

Is there a better way using PT? Obviously, people who don't live near a
Piccadilly line station might change to the line at, say, Finsbury Park.

As the Irishman asked for directions famously said "I wouldn't start
from there".

Old September 28th 19, 07:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 28 Sep 2019 14:04:23 +0100
Recliner wrote:
On Sat, 28 Sep 2019 11:54:25 +0000 (UTC), wrote:
https://www.123rf.com/photo_11341508...-05-2018-the-p
us
hback-of-the-ellinair-airbus-a320-200-aircraft-in-the-borisp.html

https://youtu.be/7ifDnXNNeLM

Not even bothering to look - I was in a plane that did it there so go do one.

Probably a very long time ago.

2006 or 2007, can't quite remember. Back when the airport was literally 1
terminal building, a hanger and an apron. Its apparently much bigger now.

Old September 28th 19, 07:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 28 Sep 2019 13:53:20 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:35:48 on
Sat, 28 Sep 2019, Recliner remarked:

Well, whatever as they say. I would certainly prefer to use Gatwick than
Heathrow any day.

Bit of a PITA to get to unless you live near the airport

Or the M25. The eastern section of which I find much more reliable than
the western.

or the brighton main line.

Which serves Central London with its connections and even direct trains
from counties norf of the river, that latter something which Heathrow
lacks (until Crossrail serves parts of Essex).

That's ignoring the Tube, of course.

Yes, I forgot the inhabitants of Cockfosters, and their fortitude in
getting a tube to Heathrow.

LU have recently converted some corner seats on the 73 stock to being a bit of
fabric over the top of concrete. They must have installed some new underseat
equipment because I can't think of any other good reason to do it.

Old October 2nd 19, 09:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 15:18:00 on Thu, 26 Sep
2019, tim... remarked:
Sep 2019, MissRiaElaine remarked:
There are some 24-hour buses to Heathrow, such as the 140.

Sure, but can all the staff cram onto that one route?

I wonder if there are staff buses that operate overnight?

And do either go where the staff actually live..?

When I was a bus driver in the Birmingham area in the late 90's/early
00's, we had a few staff buses which picked up drivers on the stupid-
o'clock starts, but they only went a limited distance from the garage
(5 miles or so I think) and I lived 7 miles away. So it was drive or
not work. The company had the attitude that it was your
responsibility to get to work and if you couldn't for whatever
reason, tough, find another job...

It's a bit more difficult to have that attitude at a place like
Heathrow. I think their solution is to provide ample staff car
parking, it's not as if they don't have the room.

but they do have a mandate to lessen car arrivals at the airport

I doubt that staff travel is exempted from that requirement

Which is precisely why Heathrow Connect exists[1]. It's not a back-door
into Heathrow for skinflint passengers, it's for staff.

Nonsense

it's for people who live on the line [1] to have a service direct to LHR
without having to go to Paddington and back

Staff or customers (or just people changing transport mode)

tim

[1] or even live on a line where a change to underground at Ealing makes
sense

Old October 2nd 19, 09:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Trolleybus" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Sep 2019 15:38:05 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

[...]

Staff are also latgely the reason that bus travel is free in and
around Heathrow

didn't they introduce free transport in the LHR area to save on having to
run land side transfer buses

tim

Old October 2nd 19, 09:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 14:51:23 on Thu, 26 Sep 2019,
tim... remarked:

Someone I know had to get the first bus of the day to check in from a
perimeter hotel to the central terminals. How would the check in staff
get there.

there are 5 night routes that run from the Northern Perimeter Road (which
IME is where all the hotels are) to the central Terminals and one to T5

The [hotels along] northern perimeter road are not a point source,

but it was the example given, to which I was replying

nor are they mopped up by every bus. It's very patchy.

If someone is choosing to stay at an LHR hotel but needs to leave before the
hotel hopper starts at 4am, they really ought to select their hotel
carefully if they are looking to travel to the terminal by bus

tim

Old October 2nd 19, 09:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

I can't remember, but you may well be right. Overall, it's probably a
cheaper, simpler solution.

Old October 2nd 19, 09:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 14:47:20 on Sat, 28 Sep 2019,
Recliner remarked:

I live north of the river, and my rail journeys to and from Heathrow
are always on the Piccadilly line. The Picc serves far more stations in
London than Crossrail will.

It's a rather tedious way to get to and from work at Heathrow, if you
live north of Kings Cross.

Is there a better way using PT? Obviously, people who don't live near a
Piccadilly line station might change to the line at, say, Finsbury Park.

As the Irishman asked for directions famously said "I wouldn't start from
there".

so if you have a long term job at LHR moving house seems the most
appropriate solution

tim