Old September 25th 19, 09:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Heathrow CC

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 17:44:02 on Wed, 25 Sep
2019, tim... remarked:

I used to work near heathrow and the number of people travelling
there by private car was a small percentage of the total.

Total public transport (by passengers) has crept up to 40% over the
last decade (from 35%). Then there's the staff.

I suspect that a far larger percentage of staff travel by PT, as
being dropped off by a relative every day isn't exactly practical,
and paying 20 quid a day to park is going to take a big chunk out of
someone's NMW salary (obviously not so for flight crew)

You know that's what the staff car park costs?

no

I just assumed that it wasn't going to be free, like it isn't at most
hospitals

Don't assume.

Also the antisocial hours involved for many don't chime well with PT

there's' 24 hour PT available to LHR

Very patchy. Someone I know had to get the first bus of the day to check
in from a perimeter hotel to the central terminals. How would the check
in staff get there.

There are some 24-hour buses to Heathrow, such as the 140.

Old September 26th 19, 07:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 20:04:05 on Wed, 25 Sep
2019, Recliner remarked:
[...]

Sure, but can all the staff cram onto that one route?

Old September 26th 19, 09:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

I wonder if there are staff buses that operate overnight?

Old September 26th 19, 01:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26/09/2019 09:39, Recliner wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 20:04:05 on Wed, 25 Sep
2019, Recliner remarked:

There are some 24-hour buses to Heathrow, such as the 140.

Sure, but can all the staff cram onto that one route?

I wonder if there are staff buses that operate overnight?

And do either go where the staff actually live..?

When I was a bus driver in the Birmingham area in the late 90's/early
00's, we had a few staff buses which picked up drivers on the
stupid-o'clock starts, but they only went a limited distance from the
garage (5 miles or so I think) and I lived 7 miles away. So it was drive
or not work. The company had the attitude that it was your
responsibility to get to work and if you couldn't for whatever reason,
tough, find another job...

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old September 26th 19, 01:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 20:04:05 on Wed, 25 Sep
2019, Recliner remarked:

There are some 24-hour buses to Heathrow, such as the 140.

Sure, but can all the staff cram onto that one route?

I wonder if there are staff buses that operate overnight?

And do either go where the staff actually live..?

When I was a bus driver in the Birmingham area in the late 90's/early
00's, we had a few staff buses which picked up drivers on the
stupid-o'clock starts, but they only went a limited distance from the
garage (5 miles or so I think) and I lived 7 miles away. So it was drive
or not work. The company had the attitude that it was your
responsibility to get to work and if you couldn't for whatever reason,
tough, find another job...

I can't comment on Heathrow's staff buses, but lost of workers seem to
be able to come on duty in the early hours of the morning. Whether
they use staff buses, staff car parks (with buses to the terminal) or
24-hour buses I can't say.

But this forum provides some information:

"There are 3 staff car parks for Terminal 5, they are N1, N2 and N5
all next to each other on the Northern Perimeter Road adjacent to T5
Business parking. Employers such as British Airways and BAA pay for
the parking for their employees, other employers make the employees
pay for the parking themselves."

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1843761
Old September 26th 19, 01:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 25 Sep 2019 16:37:36 GMT, Marland
wrote:

Recliner wrote:

What may be an issue is where running the engines
sit in the pre-flight checklists but an electric tug with a big enough
battery could power some of the aircraft systems whilst it is being
towed (there are certainly ground based APUs for those aircraft without
one). Ok - I accept that charging such things may be a problem.

The tugs would need the power of a railway locomotive. Remind me, how many
battery powered locos are in service?

Well you haven’t specified a size so we could start with the ones
traditionally used for engineering on the London Underground , don’t know
the exact number but it used to be around 29.

Something that size will be impractical for the task mentioned but smaller
examples tend to be used out of sight in numerous mines though as the UK
has relatively few such operations left most are used abroad such as those
exported by the Clayton Equipment company who have also converted diesel
locos to battery
for the Underground , they don’t horrendously large

http://www.tribe-engineering.co.uk/p...40-locomotive/

Newcastle Metro also operate a couple of battery locos which like the
London ones they can run off the normal power supply if it is available.

Glasgow subway operate a couple of battery locos for engineering work as
well.

An A380 tug would probably need as much tractive effort as a large
railway loco.
Old September 26th 19, 02:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

[...]

there are 5 night routes that run from the Northern Perimeter Road (which
IME is where all the hotels are) to the central Terminals and one to T5

I agree that T4 is isolated from the night network (unless a new one has
appeared since my map was "printed"