Old October 22nd 19, 06:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default C5 Fare Dodgers - question

On 22/10/2019 17:08, Recliner wrote:

Presumably they'll have moved on from HDDs to solid state storage by now?
They're only storing relatively low res compressed JPEGs, so the files will
be small.

I doubt it, they were still installing them when I left in 2015. They
were still running Office 2003 on the network as well, they never were
at the forefront of Information Technology..! They didn't fully get rid
of VHS tapes until around the time I left.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old October 22nd 19, 09:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:08:54 on Tue, 22 Oct
2019, Recliner remarked:

[CCTV]

Presumably they'll have moved on from HDDs to solid state storage by now?
They're only storing relatively low res compressed JPEGs, so the files will
be small.

My dashcam stores ridiculously uncompressed video.

250MB every 5 minutes.

Downloaded TV shows are typically 200MB for their 42 minutes.

Which is trivial. My A7Riii‡ camera's RAW images are 41.3 MB, and it can
shoot 10Â*of those per second (ie, more than 200MB in 0.5 sec). The memory
card in the first slot holds 5840 images, and potentially the same again in
the second slot.

Those low res bus camera compressed JPEGs are probably well under 0.5MB
each. If it stores one image per sec from, say, eight cameras, that's maybe
200MB/min at most, probably much less.

‡ Here's some pics I took last week in Ely with that camera:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157711379885958

Old October 23rd 19, 07:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 21:21:38 -0000 (UTC)
Billy No Mates Always On His Own Billy No Mates Always On His Own.usenet@gmail.
com wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:08:54 on Tue, 22 Oct
2019, Billy No Mates Always On His Own Billy No Mates Always On His Own.usen

remarked:

[CCTV]

Presumably they'll have moved on from HDDs to solid state storage by now?
They're only storing relatively low res compressed JPEGs, so the files will
be small.

My dashcam stores ridiculously uncompressed video.

250MB every 5 minutes.

Downloaded TV shows are typically 200MB for their 42 minutes.

Which is trivial. My A7Riii‡ camera's RAW images are 41.3 MB, and it can
shoot 10Â*of those per second (ie, more than 200MB in 0.5 sec). The memory
card in the first slot holds 5840 images, and potentially the same again in
the second slot.

Those low res bus camera compressed JPEGs are probably well under 0.5MB
each. If it stores one image per sec from, say, eight cameras, that's maybe
200MB/min at most, probably much less.

‡ Here's some pics I took last week in Ely with that camera:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/Billy No Mates Always On His Own/albums/7215771
1379885958

I wonder if dashcams storing low/uncompressed video is so it can accurately
capture very fast movement - eg just before an accident - which most video
compression systems are not particularly good at.

Old October 23rd 19, 04:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 21:21:38 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:08:54 on Tue, 22 Oct
2019, Recliner remarked:

[CCTV]

Presumably they'll have moved on from HDDs to solid state storage by now?
They're only storing relatively low res compressed JPEGs, so the files will
be small.

My dashcam stores ridiculously uncompressed video.

250MB every 5 minutes.

Downloaded TV shows are typically 200MB for their 42 minutes.

Which is trivial. My A7Riii‡ camera's RAW images are 41.3 MB, and it can
shoot 10*of those per second (ie, more than 200MB in 0.5 sec). The memory
card in the first slot holds 5840 images, and potentially the same again in
the second slot.

Those low res bus camera compressed JPEGs are probably well under 0.5MB
each. If it stores one image per sec from, say, eight cameras, that's maybe
200MB/min at most, probably much less.

‡ Here's some pics I took last week in Ely with that camera:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157711379885958

Excellent pictures from a remarkable building - thanks. But just
three mere glimpses of the very photogenic organ. Pity! I have
played several cathedral organs, but not this one.

Guy Gorton

Old October 24th 19, 06:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 20:37:27 on Wed, 23 Oct
2019, Recliner remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 19:05:11 on Wed, 23 Oct
2019, remarked:
On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 09:34:49 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 07:41:34 on Wed, 23 Oct
2019,
remarked:

I wonder if dashcams storing low/uncompressed video is so it can
accurately
capture very fast movement - eg just before an accident - which most video
compression systems are not particularly good at.

I think it's because they don't want to have the silicon|dollars|power
budget of compressing the video. They externalise it to users having to
buy stupidly big SD cards.

My previous dashcam gobbled through 1.2GB for each ten minute file.

There must be more to it than that. Even cheap smartphones can do realtime
video compression.

They produce files in MP4 format, but not very much compressed. My phone
produces typically 150MB per minute (1920 x 1080 pixels).

So, Full HD video.

Like my dashcam (I presume the camera is essentially the same as that in
a phone).

The hardware is probably commodity by now.

My whole dashcam only cost about £30.

That doesn't leave much budget for the lens.

The lens is quite large (1.5cm), and wide angle (170 degrees). And yes,
it's probably one of the more expensive components.

But I run my dashcam at the lower setting of 720p, so that the SD card
fills up slower, which results in video a bit like this *after* it's
been cropped and re-compressed by video editing software to 30MB/min
@720p, and reprocessed by YouTube to 144-720p depending on the view you
select.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4aHaSyBHvE

(Rail-related content)
Old October 24th 19, 07:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Nice view of the sky, you need to pan the camera down a bit to see more
of the road.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

fare dodgers Paul Corfield London Transport 48 February 21st 07 09:16 PM
fare dodgers Edward Cowling London UK London Transport 9 February 11th 07 11:53 AM
fare dodgers Michael Hoffman London Transport 0 February 10th 07 01:08 PM
fare dodgers Dave A London Transport 0 February 10th 07 12:45 PM
fare dodgers stevo London Transport 0 February 10th 07 12:10 PM