Old June 4th 04, 06:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Ban Hot food on the tube (was Strike Action)

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 18:28:30 +0100, Cheeky wrote:

They have litter bins in Israel and (AFAIAA) they have developed a
relatively bomb-proof one.....

The big railway seems to have taken to using clear plastic bin bags
hanging from a loop, which may not exactly be bomb-proof but will
avoid any additional shrapnel, and hopefully any device would be
visible.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To e-mail use neil at the above domain

Old June 4th 04, 07:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
JB JB is offline

Can't bins be made bomb proof? I thought that Westminster went through

all
this and in the end put them back.

Obviously I meant Westminster Council. As I walk down the Strand there seem
to be bins about evey 10 yards (and very clean streets)

Old June 5th 04, 01:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Andrew P Smith" wrote in message
In article , JB
writes

Yeah but I've seen small children on the tube with snot oozing out all

over
with him wiping it on the seat. Tell you what lets ban small children?

(It
would also cut down on overcrowding!)

Excellent idea......

Can't bins be made bomb proof? I thought that Westminster went through

all
this and in the end put them back. I certainly don't blame people for

not
taking their rubbish home with them.

Blast resistant bins are available, but they will only resist a set
pressure level.

Of course you could chain all those surplus to requirement small children to
the blast proof bins to absorb any overpressure...:-)
--
Cheers, Steve.

Old June 6th 04, 12:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Steve Dulieu" wrote the following
in:

"Andrew P Smith" wrote in message

Blast resistant bins are available, but they will only resist a
set pressure level.

Of course you could chain all those surplus to requirement small
children to the blast proof bins to absorb any overpressure...:-)

Nah, that'd be far too messy.

--
message by Robin May. Inimitable, but would you want to anyway?
"GIVE IN! IT'S TIME TO GO!" - The NHS offers a high standard of care.

Kitten in Big Brother: rebel without a cause (or brain).
Spelling lesson: then and than are different words.
Old June 6th 04, 10:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin Mayes" wrote:
"Cheeky" wrote:
These appeared for a while on the streets in
Manchester as well - unfortunately Network
Rail/FNW have not cottoned on to this at the
stations :-(

Perhaps you should give the Transport Security
Agency the benefit of your wisdom, rather than
blame the Train Operating Companies / Network
Rail / London Underground.

Who are the Transport Security Agency? Do you
mean the US Transportation Security Administration
www.tsa.gov? If so, I think their interest in
litter bins (or indeed trash cans) on the
Underground would be limited.

Matt Ashby
Old June 6th 04, 12:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london
JB JB is offline

"Matt Ashby" wrote in message
om...
"Robin Mayes" wrote:
"Cheeky" wrote:
These appeared for a while on the streets in
Manchester as well - unfortunately Network
Rail/FNW have not cottoned on to this at the
stations :-(

Perhaps you should give the Transport Security
Agency the benefit of your wisdom, rather than
blame the Train Operating Companies / Network
Rail / London Underground.

Who are the Transport Security Agency? Do you
mean the US Transportation Security Administration
www.tsa.gov? If so, I think their interest in
litter bins (or indeed trash cans) on the
Underground would be limited.

Matt Ashby

Funnily enough I reckon the US TSA needs as much help as possible with
security. When I was in New York every station had litter bins/black
rubbish sacks all of which seemed a natural target for bombers.

Worse still was Wall Street where the copious number of police officers were
using gas lighting to see the crowds with!

Old June 6th 04, 03:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 09:30:55 +0100, "Robin Mayes"
wrote:

"Cheeky" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 18:14:45 GMT, (Neil
Williams) wrote:

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 18:28:30 +0100, Cheeky wrote:

They have litter bins in Israel and (AFAIAA) they have developed a
relatively bomb-proof one.....

The big railway seems to have taken to using clear plastic bin bags
hanging from a loop, which may not exactly be bomb-proof but will
avoid any additional shrapnel, and hopefully any device would be
visible.

Neil

These appeared for a while on the streets in Manchester as well -
unfortunately Network Rail/FNW have not cottoned on to this at the
stations :-(

Perhaps you should give the Transport Security Agency the benefit of your
wisdom, rather than blame the Train Operating Companies / Network Rail /
London Underground.

OK Mr Smarty Pants - perhaps you'd like to explain why it's possible
on some mainline stations but not others? Who *should* I complain
about other than the companies who actually run these stations -
Network Rail and First North Western?

WTH is the Transport Security Agency, anyway?
--

Please reply to the group