Old June 3rd 04, 12:43 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Default Political Parties 10 June

"David Boothroyd" wrote in message

to lower the cost of Londoners Poll Tax ( don't give me that
pedantry **** again)

Is it pedantry to point out that the Poll Tax was abolished in 1993, or
is it accuracy?

pedantTechnically neither, given that 'poll tax' was only ever an
unofficial term of reference./pedant

BTN

Old June 3rd 04, 02:11 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

In article ,
"Seanie O'Kilfoyle" wrote:
"David Boothroyd" wrote in message
In article ,
"Yanart Amin Ari" wrote:

It wouldn't be the first time a parliament had voted itself out
of existence remember 1640summat ?

You obviously don't remember anything about it because no Parliament
voted itself out of existence in the 1640s.

You really ARE a PEDANT aint you Betty

"Pedant" is an insult directed at the accurate from the inaccurate.

I'm sure you *Know* which parliament I mean, if you can't be arsed to swot
up on the date why should I ?

There was no such Parliament. The Short Parliament was dissolved by
Charles I in 1640. The Long Parliament immediately passed a Bill to
make it impossible for the King to dissolve it unless it consented.
In 1648/9 the House of Commons abolished one branch of Parliament by
chopping its head off, and the other by a vote, but itself continued
until Oliver Cromwell dissolved it. Cromwell's experimental
Parliaments were dissolved shortly after they were called. After the
restoration the remains of the Long Parliament were resummoned as the
only legitimate Parliament, and then consented to their dissolution -
but this was followed by an immediate election.

So which was this Parliament which voted itself out of existence?

--
http://www.election.demon.co.uk
"Most of us Lib Dems stopped years ago being 'nice'" - David Larkman
Old June 3rd 04, 03:43 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Yanart Amin Ari" wrote:

[...]

You're the smart arse, you tell us ...

Old June 3rd 04, 03:45 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Ben Nunn" wrote in message

"David Boothroyd" wrote in message

to lower the cost of Londoners Poll Tax ( don't give me that
pedantry **** again)

Is it pedantry to point out that the Poll Tax was abolished in 1993, or
is it accuracy?

pedantTechnically neither, given that 'poll tax' was only ever an
unofficial term of reference./pedant

BTN

Haha !

There *IS* Justice in the world

Ben, you have beaten down a pedant with sheer pedantry

I doff my cap to you Sir !

Mwahahahahahar

Like yer shtyle !

PS, Now then Bettie, NER NER NEE NER NER !

Old June 3rd 04, 04:14 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

In article ,
"Seanie O'Kilfoyle" wrote:
"Ben Nunn" wrote in message
"David Boothroyd" wrote in message

to lower the cost of Londoners Poll Tax ( don't give me that
pedantry **** again)

Is it pedantry to point out that the Poll Tax was abolished in 1993, or
is it accuracy?

pedantTechnically neither, given that 'poll tax' was only ever an
unofficial term of reference./pedant

Haha !

It was however given official sanction when the Department of the
Environment sent a leaflet to every household entitled "The Community
Charge (the so-called 'Poll Tax')". A Poll Tax is a tax levied at the
same rate on every individual and the Community Charge essentially
fits within that definition. It was therefore a Poll Tax.

Old June 3rd 04, 04:15 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Seanie O'Kilfoyle" wrote:
I'm sure you *Know* which parliament I mean, if you can't be arsed
to swot up on the date why should I ?

There was no such Parliament. The Short Parliament was dissolved by
Charles I in 1640. The Long Parliament immediately passed a Bill to
make it impossible for the King to dissolve it unless it consented.
In 1648/9 the House of Commons abolished one branch of Parliament by
chopping its head off, and the other by a vote, but itself continued
until Oliver Cromwell dissolved it. Cromwell's experimental
Parliaments were dissolved shortly after they were called. After the
restoration the remains of the Long Parliament were resummoned as the
only legitimate Parliament, and then consented to their dissolution -
but this was followed by an immediate election.

So which was this Parliament which voted itself out of existence?

You're the smart arse, you tell us ...

OK, I'll tell you: you got it wrong.

Old June 3rd 04, 04:20 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"David Boothroyd" wrote in message news:david-
In article ,
"Seanie O'Kilfoyle" wrote:
"Ben Nunn" wrote in message
"David Boothroyd" wrote in message
to lower the cost of Londoners Poll Tax ( don't give me that
pedantry **** again)
Is it pedantry to point out that the Poll Tax was abolished in 1993,

or
is it accuracy?
pedantTechnically neither, given that 'poll tax' was only ever an
unofficial term of reference./pedant

Haha !

It was however given official sanction when the Department of the
Environment sent a leaflet to every household entitled "The Community
Charge (the so-called 'Poll Tax')". A Poll Tax is a tax levied at the
same rate on every individual and the Community Charge essentially
fits within that definition.
It was therefore a Poll Tax.

that seems to me to be a parrotdox.

Old June 3rd 04, 05:22 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Seanie O'Kilfoyle" wrote:
[...]

Oooooooohhhhh

NOT so smart then are we Bettie ?

Mwahahahahahar

Old June 3rd 04, 05:23 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"tosspot" wrote in message
"David Boothroyd" wrote in message

In article ,
"Seanie O'Kilfoyle" wrote:
"Ben Nunn" wrote in message
"David Boothroyd" wrote in message
to lower the cost of Londoners Poll Tax ( don't give me that
pedantry **** again)
Is it pedantry to point out that the Poll Tax was abolished in

1993,
or
is it accuracy?
pedantTechnically neither, given that 'poll tax' was only ever an
unofficial term of reference./pedant
Haha !

It was however given official sanction when the Department of the
Environment sent a leaflet to every household entitled "The Community
Charge (the so-called 'Poll Tax')". A Poll Tax is a tax levied at the
same rate on every individual and the Community Charge essentially
fits within that definition.
It was therefore a Poll Tax.

that seems to me to be a parrotdox.

If we were to take 1000 zlotys from each Polish wannabe migrant who posts to
u.l.l THAT would be a Pole Tax

Old June 3rd 04, 05:24 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Seanie O'Kilfoyle" wrote:
"Ben Nunn" wrote in message
"David Boothroyd" wrote in message

to lower the cost of Londoners Poll Tax ( don't give me that
pedantry **** again)

Is it pedantry to point out that the Poll Tax was abolished in 1993,

or
is it accuracy?

pedantTechnically neither, given that 'poll tax' was only ever an
unofficial term of reference./pedant

Haha !

It was however given official sanction when the Department of the
Environment sent a leaflet to every household entitled "The Community
Charge (the so-called 'Poll Tax')". A Poll Tax is a tax levied at the
same rate on every individual and the Community Charge essentially
fits within that definition. It was therefore a Poll Tax.

Well, you seem to have sold that particular idea to yourself quite nicely
Bettie

Trouble is, I don't think anyone else will buy it

Is Ealing Broadway-Ealing Common running on 10 June? Nigel Pendse London Transport 6 June 11th 06 07:50 PM
"Pay next day" for congestion charge from June TravelBot London Transport News 0 March 12th 06 07:44 PM
Disruption on Bakerloo Line last night 7 June 2005 Christian Hansen London Transport 2 June 9th 05 03:59 PM
Old cars or bikes wtd for Primrose Hill Summer Festival, Saturday 25th June 2005 [email protected] London Transport 1 April 26th 05 02:53 PM
June Underground News - the owl on the back cover John Rowland London Transport 1 May 29th 04 08:52 AM