Old June 18th 04, 06:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Vic line cars

Last Sunday I noticed two carriages that were remarkably different from the
rest, and had not seen before, even though I use the line daily. They were
different in that they had spcae for baggage by the double doors, much like
the Jubilee, but with angled resting places - which were a bit too high for
me. I don't recall the car numbers, but they were at the end of the
northbound train.

Anyone else seen these before?

Old June 18th 04, 08:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

woutster wrote:

Last Sunday I noticed two carriages that were remarkably different from the
rest, and had not seen before, even though I use the line daily. They were
different in that they had spcae for baggage by the double doors, much like
the Jubilee, but with angled resting places - which were a bit too high for
me. I don't recall the car numbers, but they were at the end of the
northbound train.

Anyone else seen these before?

Yeah - I see them once every few months or so.

I think they've been discussed here before...
Old June 18th 04, 09:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Newt" firebird.remove.net.this.remove.me.20.den@spamgou rmet.com
wrote in message
t.net
woutster wrote:

Last Sunday I noticed two carriages that were remarkably different
from the rest, and had not seen before, even though I use the line
daily. They were different in that they had spcae for baggage by the
double doors, much like the Jubilee, but with angled resting places
- which were a bit too high for me. I don't recall the car numbers,
but they were at the end of the northbound train.

Anyone else seen these before?

Yeah - I see them once every few months or so.

I think they've been discussed here before...

Are they 1972 cars moved to supplement the 1967 stock?

Old June 19th 04, 07:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Nigel Pendse" wrote in
:

"Dave Newt"

firebird.remove.net.this.remove.me.20.den@spamgou rmet.com
wrote in message
t.net
woutster wrote:

Last Sunday I noticed two carriages that were remarkably different
from the rest, and had not seen before, even though I use the line
daily. They were different in that they had spcae for baggage by the
double doors, much like the Jubilee, but with angled resting places
- which were a bit too high for me. I don't recall the car numbers,
but they were at the end of the northbound train.

Anyone else seen these before?

Yeah - I see them once every few months or so.

I think they've been discussed here before...

Are they 1972 cars moved to supplement the 1967 stock?

found it http://makeashorterlink.com/?U23A32A98
also discussed in 1999
Old June 21st 04, 11:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 19:23:12 +0100, woutster
wrote:

Last Sunday I noticed two carriages that were remarkably different from the
rest, and had not seen before, even though I use the line daily. They were
different in that they had spcae for baggage by the double doors, much like
the Jubilee, but with angled resting places - which were a bit too high for
me. I don't recall the car numbers, but they were at the end of the
northbound train.

These are spotted on the Victoria line from time to time (I've seen
them 3 or 4 times in 5 years), and some short discussion always ensues
here.

Try looking back in Google Groups.

Cheers,

Jason.

Old June 21st 04, 11:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Nigel Pendse" wrote in message
. ..
Are they 1972 cars moved to supplement the 1967 stock?

Partly, yes. The unit concerned is 3086-4086-4186-3186, which was part of
the last train to be refurbished (along with 3016 unit). It was
experimentally fitted with the altered seating-layout, and also you might
notice that the inner ends of the cars are painted grey as an experiment
into hiding the dirt that builds up in these areas. 3016 also has this
feature.

Coincidentally, cars 3086 and 4086 are converted 1972MkI cars, however this
happened way back in the 1980s, and has no connection whatsoever to do with
internal differences.

HTH.

Old June 22nd 04, 08:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"David Splett" wrote in message ...
"Nigel Pendse" wrote in message
. ..
Are they 1972 cars moved to supplement the 1967 stock?

Partly, yes. The unit concerned is 3086-4086-4186-3186, which was part of
the last train to be refurbished (along with 3016 unit). It was
experimentally fitted with the altered seating-layout, and also you might

The "altered seating layout" being one that reduces the number of seats and
makes even more people suffer by standing in the rush hour. Wonderful.
Of course if you ask why they say that longitudinal seating provides for more
standing room though I've yet to see people standing 2 abreast in a tube train
down the isles which is what this would suggest since even with transverse
seating people stood happily in the aisles anyway.

B2003