Old June 28th 04, 08:49 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Default Oyster card slot numbers

x-post added

Chris wrote:
What does it mean when it says slot 1 expires soon (or something like that)
on the tube ticket gates?

What are the slot numbers?

Ask uk.transport.london, but basically the Oyster card has three (?)
"slots", each of which can hold a ticket or credit of some kind.

So for example, I have a monthly Travelcard on my Oyster - that will
take up one slot.

I also have some Pre-pay balance on it, for when I go out of zone and it
will automatically take off the money for the extension - that will take
up another slot.

My Travelcard runs out in a couple of days, so if I renew it now, that
will take up the third slot.

For your purposes, it doesn't really matter which slot is which, just
that your Travelcard is going to expire.

In fact, I think the gates I have seen say "Tkt 1 soon expires" or
something, but I guess it's the same thing.

Am sure I will be corrected if any of the above is ********. :-)

dave

Old June 29th 04, 01:20 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Oyster cards have:

3 Ticket slots (TKT)
3 Pre-pay slots (PPY)

What Dave says is almost correct except pre-pay has its own slots.

Steve

"Dave Newt" firebird.remove.net.this.remove.me.20.den@spamgou rmet.com
wrote in message t.net...
x-post added

Old June 29th 04, 06:22 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Dave Newt" firebird.remove.net.this.remove.me.20.den@spamgou rmet.com
wrote in message t.net...
x-post added

Chris wrote:
What does it mean when it says slot 1 expires soon (or something like

that)
on the tube ticket gates?

What are the slot numbers?

Ask uk.transport.london, but basically the Oyster card has three (?)
"slots", each of which can hold a ticket or credit of some kind.

[Snip blah]

Yesterday at Victoria underground station I heard an announcement reminding
"customers" with Oyster cards to always touch their card to the pad on their
way out of a station. What does that mean? Does it mean that if the gates
are open (e.g. when there's nobody around to staff them) then prepay
passengers can get away with a free ride?
--
ZK - juggling my eyeballs from one eye-socket to the other

Old June 29th 04, 06:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Zobo Kolonie" typed

Yesterday at Victoria underground station I heard an announcement reminding
"customers" with Oyster cards to always touch their card to the pad on their
way out of a station. What does that mean? Does it mean that if the gates
are open (e.g. when there's nobody around to staff them) then prepay
passengers can get away with a free ride?

They could, if the gates were open when they entered the Tube and when
they left it. Otherwise, they get an 'unresolved journey' which can be
charged at rather more than the fare for the journey taken.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old June 29th 04, 06:53 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Zobo Kolonie" wrote:

Yesterday at Victoria underground station I heard an announcement reminding
"customers" with Oyster cards to always touch their card to the pad on their
way out of a station. What does that mean? Does it mean that if the gates
are open (e.g. when there's nobody around to staff them) then prepay
passengers can get away with a free ride?

If the gates are open both ends and you don't get checked by a gripper
you might get away with it.

Of course, going in without touching in risks meeting closed gates at
the end of your journey, leading to you paying a higher fare than you
ought to...

--
James Farrar |
London, SE13 |

Old June 29th 04, 07:57 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Of course, going in without touching in risks meeting closed gates at
the end of your journey, leading to you paying a higher fare than you
ought to...

Of course when you know that your destination has open gates (ticket office
closed, going to olympia (are heathrow gates ever shut) you can risk it.
I've never had my ticket checked at any point on a tube journey, except the
gates.
--
Everything above is the personal opinion of the author, and nothing to do
with where he works and all that lovely disclaimery stuff.