Old July 1st 04, 03:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Curious extra station stops on Southern's Watford-Brighton service

As I understand it, Southern's Watford - Brighton services (via
Olympia and Clapham Junction) usual calling pattern southbound is

Harrow & Wealdstone, Wembley Central (sometimes), Olympia, Clapham
Junction, East Croydon, Gatwick Airport, Three Bridges, Haywards Heath
and Brighton

Idly browsing today, however, I found that the 1727 ex Watford - and
apparently *only* this service, all day! - additionally calls at
Streatham Common and Selhurst. Not at any of the other suburban
stations en route from Clapham Junction to East Croydon, mind - just
those two. Just that service.

Why could this be?

--
Larry Lard
Replies to group please.

Old July 1st 04, 05:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"LarryLard" wrote in message
om...
As I understand it, Southern's Watford - Brighton services (via
Olympia and Clapham Junction) usual calling pattern southbound is

Harrow & Wealdstone, Wembley Central (sometimes), Olympia, Clapham
Junction, East Croydon, Gatwick Airport, Three Bridges, Haywards Heath
and Brighton

Add West Brompton and all stations from Haywards Heath to Brighton to that
list.

Idly browsing today, however, I found that the 1727 ex Watford - and
apparently *only* this service, all day! - additionally calls at
Streatham Common and Selhurst. Not at any of the other suburban
stations en route from Clapham Junction to East Croydon, mind - just
those two. Just that service.

Why could this be?

Perhaps there is a demand for stops there from the passengers leaving work
en route, or leaving Olympia and Earls Court.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
75th Anniversary 2004, see http://www.omnibussoc.org/75th.htm

Old July 3rd 04, 10:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Peter Lawrence" wrote in message ...
On 1 Jul 2004 08:21:02 -0700, (LarryLard) wrote:

As I understand it, Southern's Watford - Brighton services (via
Olympia and Clapham Junction) usual calling pattern southbound is

Harrow & Wealdstone, Wembley Central (sometimes), Olympia, Clapham
Junction, East Croydon, Gatwick Airport, Three Bridges, Haywards Heath
and Brighton

Idly browsing today, however, I found that the 1727 ex Watford - and
apparently *only* this service, all day! - additionally calls at
Streatham Common and Selhurst. Not at any of the other suburban
stations en route from Clapham Junction to East Croydon, mind - just
those two. Just that service.

Why could this be?

Guess. Selhurst could be for crew change. Dunno about Streatham
Common, which is set down only.

Selhurt is to do with the Down Oxted train. The Streatham Common stop
is because it eases the pressure from the 18:00 Victoria to Epsom
Downs via Norbury at Clapham Junction. The 18:00 is well known for its
overcrowding and as such this provides a useful alternative at Clapham
for people to transfer onto. Another reason for Streatham Common is
that it can be used to change for Tulse Hill and also for Norbury and
Thornton Heath (ex London Bridge services) in times of service
disruption. The Selhurst stop has been on there for years but
Streatham Common only started last May.