Old December 26th 06, 03:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Off Topic - Parking Wardens

On Friday evening, 22 December, I was driving my Sainsbury's van along
Westbourne Terrace, London W2.
At the junction of Westbourne Terrace and Craven Road, a black cab jumped
the lights that had changed to red. It collided with a car that then knocked
over one of the traffic lights, severely injuring a passing pedestrian.
As a first aider, I parked my van (on a double yellow line) in Craven Road,
and went to assist.
The poor unfortunate pedestrian literally had her head split open.
Fortunately, a passing doctor on his way to St Mary's Hospital was able to
deal with things better than me.
Although St Mary's Hospital is a mere two minutes away, I was informed that
the HEMS helicopter had been requested.

Whilst all of this was going on, there was a fair amount of congestion.
Traffic was moving, albeit very slowly.
On returning to my van, I was greeted with the sight of a parking warden
issuing me with a ticket. When I explained to the warden the reason for may
being parked where I was, I was informed that I could appeal against the
ticket.

It beggars belief to see the kind of morons that are employed on behalf of
the City of Westminster to 'harass' motorists.
Obviously, all that matters to the wardens is to issue as many tickets as
possible in order to achieve their commission.

I appreciate that parking wardens do not have the easiest or most popular
job in the world, but surely a degree of common sense is one of the
requisites for the job?

Any comments?

Paul

Old December 26th 06, 03:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul" wrote in message
[...]

How was the warden supposed to know that you parked up to
help at the incident, and not simply a van that was already
parked before it happened?

tim

Old December 26th 06, 03:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul" typed

Any comments?

Appeal.

You local rag would *love* to run a 'Parking Warden hits Good Samaritan'
headline on its slowest news week of the year...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old December 26th 06, 03:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

It is a good point that you have raised. However, it does appear that
delivery vehicles are deliberately 'targeted' as (in my case) the company,
rather than the driver pays the fine.

Paul

Old December 26th 06, 04:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , moggychops@tiscali
co.uk (Paul) wrote:

[Accident details snipped]

Whilst all of this was going on, there was a fair amount of
congestion. Traffic was moving, albeit very slowly.
On returning to my van, I was greeted with the sight of a parking
warden issuing me with a ticket. When I explained to the warden the
reason for may being parked where I was, I was informed that I could
appeal against the ticket.

It beggars belief to see the kind of morons that are employed on
behalf of the City of Westminster to 'harass' motorists.
Obviously, all that matters to the wardens is to issue as many
tickets as possible in order to achieve their commission.

I appreciate that parking wardens do not have the easiest or most
popular job in the world, but surely a degree of common sense is one
of the requisites for the job?

Any comments?

You misunderstand how parking enforcement works nowadays. The parking
attendant (not a warden) is there simply to issue tickets. He or she is
only concerned with whether a parking infringement has occurred, not with
the reasons.

The council appeals system is there to deal with reasons why the
infringement was reasonable. Contact the council and explain the
circumstances. I can't imagine that they won't then cancel the ticket. If
they don't, appeal to the independent parking adjudication service.

--
Colin Rosenstiel.

Old December 26th 06, 05:17 PM
Junior Member

Location: Kent & Hounslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
It is a good point that you have raised. However, it does appear that
delivery vehicles are deliberately 'targeted' as (in my case) the company,
rather than the driver pays the fine.

Paul
Plus of course, the warden more than likely doesn't care if you successfully appeal against the ticket - they've already got their commission for issuing it (or am I just too cynical?)

__________________
Anyone can brighten up a room - some do it by entering, others by leaving.
Old December 26th 06, 06:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote:

You misunderstand how parking enforcement works nowadays. The parking
attendant (not a warden) is there simply to issue tickets. He or she is
only concerned with whether a parking infringement has occurred, not with
the reasons.

The council appeals system is there to deal with reasons why the
infringement was reasonable. Contact the council and explain the
circumstances. I can't imagine that they won't then cancel the ticket. If
they don't, appeal to the independent parking adjudication service.

In other words, someone (the attendant/their employer/the local authority,
or a combination of), makes a lot of money from issuing tickets without any
regard for what one might term 'common sense'.

To deal with the vast number of tickets which are consequently disputed, an
elaborate multi-stage appeals process is then put in place. Funded by the
taxpayer, no doubt.

Chris

Old December 26th 06, 07:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I was informed that I could appeal against the
ticket.

snipped

Seems the only words they know, as demonstrated here

Old December 26th 06, 10:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"AndreaC" wrote in message

Paul Wrote:
It is a good point that you have raised. However, it does appear that
delivery vehicles are deliberately 'targeted' as (in my case) the
company,
rather than the driver pays the fine.

Paul

Plus of course, the warden more than likely doesn't care if you
successfully appeal against the ticket - they've already got their
commission for issuing it (or am I just too cynical?)

They don't get comission (but they might have targets)

tim

Old December 26th 06, 11:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , chris117@btinternet
com (Chris Read) wrote:

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote:

[...]

No. You stop contrary to parking regulations, you get a ticket. If you
had a lawful excuse that didn't become apparent in time, the ticket is
cancelled. Seems fair enough to me.

--
Colin Rosenstiel.

off topic Chris London Transport 0 January 25th 06 07:24 PM
Off Topic Money exchange G.Mizer London Transport 14 April 29th 05 10:17 PM
Off topic - Toyota Prius in London Agustin London Transport 23 August 28th 04 01:40 PM
Slightly off-topic question Annabel Smyth London Transport 4 July 12th 04 03:06 PM
OFF TOPIC - Looking for Christopher Nicholas Joules1111 London Transport 0 October 4th 03 11:39 PM