London Banter

-   -   Bus driver complaint and OYBike (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2116-bus-driver-complaint-oybike.html)

Annabel Smyth October 11th 04 08:29 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

Nick Cooper wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 10 Oct 2004:

Yeah, well having seen speeding cyclists jumping reds at crossings and
coming within a hair's bredth of sending OAPs flying, I'll reserve
judgement on that one.

Not even OAPs - I was very nearly sent flying by one the other day, and
I am merely middle aged. All the same, I don't want to be knocked down,
thank you.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Tony Raven October 11th 04 10:12 AM

Annabel Smyth wrote:

Not even OAPs - I was very nearly sent flying by one the other day, and
I am merely middle aged. All the same, I don't want to be knocked down,
thank you.

Methinks you do exaggerate a tad. The number of pedestrians killed by
cylists in the carriageway is 0.1% of the number killed by motor
vehicles. The number of pedestrians seriously injured by cyclists in
the carriageway is 0.2% of those seriously injured by motor vehicles. I
don't condone dangerous cycling but you need to get the sources of
danger in perspective.

Tony

Annabel Smyth October 11th 04 10:44 AM

Tony Raven wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 11 Oct 2004:

Annabel Smyth wrote:
Not even OAPs - I was very nearly sent flying by one the other day,
and
I am merely middle aged. All the same, I don't want to be knocked down,
thank you.

Methinks you do exaggerate a tad.

No. I *am* middle-aged, and I *was* very nearly sent flying by a
cyclist jumping a red light on Brixton Road. And it was within the last
two months, so very recently.

The number of pedestrians killed by cylists in the carriageway is 0.1%
of the number killed by motor vehicles.

Do feel free to point out where I said anything about being killed? I
said "knocked down" - even were one not to be injured, I would really
rather not be knocked down, whether by a cyclist, pedestrian or even a
passing lamp-post!

Paul Rudin October 11th 04 11:07 AM

Annabel Smyth wrote:
Not even OAPs - I was very nearly sent flying by one the other day,
and
I am merely middle aged. All the same, I don't want to be knocked down,
thank you.

Methinks you do exaggerate a tad.

No. I *am* middle-aged, and I *was* very nearly sent flying ...

I suppose the argument turns on the "nearly" - one person's "nearly"
is another's "missed by miles"...

Just zis Guy, you know? October 11th 04 12:16 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 18:43:20 GMT,
(Nick Cooper) wrote:

You can complain to uk.tosspot, who will greet you as a long-lost
brother. They think the fact that "yoofs" on bikes commit offences
justifies

I don't recall putting the sort of cyclist I was complaining about
into any particular age bracket. In fact, my own observations tell me
that the most "serious"-looking of cyclists are - if anything - worse.

Ah, so you are making a non age-specific invalid generalisation
instead of the usual age-specific one. That changes everything,
obviously...

whatever behaviour they see fit to inflict on those unlucky
enough to have to share the road with them, and the disparity in
danger posed by cyclists and motorists is of no relevance.

I could ask you to elaborate on the huge supposition you seem to have
made here, but you've already dug yourself into too deep a hole as it
is.

What supposition? Look back at the history of cross-posted threads
between urc and uk.tosspot.

Alternatively you could consider to what extent the relative
seriousness of your pet hate

Please justify use of phrase "pet hate".

Please jsutify the use of illegal cyclist behaviour to excuse illegal
and potentially lethal bus driver behaviour.

and the homicidal bus driver might be informed by the fact the fact
that the bus driver is trained to a higher standard than most road
users, is entrusted with the safety of multiple occupants of his
vehicle, is driving a large and heavy vehicle and is notionally a
professional driver paid to drive. His company has a duty of care to
those with whom their drivers share the roads.

So that excuses crap cyclists, does it?

So you feel it's perfectly acceptable to use the behaviour of crap
cyclists to excuse that of crap drivers, but not vice-versa?
Fascinating.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Spicknspan October 11th 04 12:49 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
Spicknspan wrote:

A few months ago I saw what this can lead to. A lycra clad cyclist went
flying around the roundabout at Trafalgar Square at a good 30mph, and

turned
down Whitehall going straight through the red light, and straight into a
woman crossing the road.

It doesn't excuse bad behaviour like that but its interesting you have
to delve back several months to come up with an example,

I'd have to delve back even further for an example of a car accident I've
seen, although I'm sure many have happened since.

which, knowing
the complex junction to turn into Whitehall from Trafalgar Sq is rather
improbable.

Maybe improbable, but true.

I am sure the London cycling contingent can give you daily
examples of cyclists becoming the victims of bad driving and pedestrians
stepping out without looking.

FWIW 30mph seems to be the norm for all traffic round other parts of
Trafalgar square when it gets the opportunity.

Does that include going through red lights without even a pretence of
braking?

Tony

David Martin October 11th 04 01:42 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On 11/10/04 1:49 pm, in article ,
"Spicknspan" wrote:

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
Spicknspan wrote:

A few months ago I saw what this can lead to. A lycra clad cyclist went
flying around the roundabout at Trafalgar Square at a good 30mph, and

turned
down Whitehall going straight through the red light, and straight into a
woman crossing the road.

It doesn't excuse bad behaviour like that but its interesting you have
to delve back several months to come up with an example,
which, knowing
the complex junction to turn into Whitehall from Trafalgar Sq is rather
improbable.

Maybe improbable, but true.

30mph? Really?
How did you measure it? Or is it a 'my goodness they were going quickly,
must have been at least pluck figure out of air 30mph'

It would be nigh on impossible except on a completely clear road, and I
doubt the road there ever gets that clear.

...d

Annabel Smyth October 11th 04 02:29 PM

Paul Rudin wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 11 Oct 2004:

I suppose the argument turns on the "nearly" - one person's "nearly"
is another's "missed by miles"...

I dare say - when you step into the road and have to leap back on to the
pavement to avoid being run down, you consider it "nearly". At least, I
do..... Had I been another inch further into the road, we would have
collided.

Mind you, come to think of it, I'm so fat the cyclist would probably
have come off worst.

Jon Senior October 11th 04 02:59 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

In article ,
says...
I dare say - when you step into the road and have to leap back on to the
pavement to avoid being run down, you consider it "nearly". At least, I
do..... Had I been another inch further into the road, we would have
collided.

I've been surprisingly good at avoiding collisions when pedestrians
randomly wander into the road without looking. It's possible that the
moron in question wouldn't actually have hit you (Although if he was
cycling through a red his skills are somewhat irrelevant).

Mind you, come to think of it, I'm so fat the cyclist would probably
have come off worst.

Despite my earlier claim I have however hit a pedestrian once while
cycling. Neither of us sustained serious injuries (Although I did have a
stiff arm for a few days) and he was very quick to apologise (His
fault!).

I think you'd actually have to be pretty unlucky to be seriously hurt by
a cyclist. Being in some way attached to the bike means that they tend
to come off worst!

Jon

Tony Raven October 11th 04 05:57 PM

David Martin wrote:

30mph? Really?
How did you measure it? Or is it a 'my goodness they were going quickly,
must have been at least pluck figure out of air 30mph'

It would be nigh on impossible except on a completely clear road, and I
doubt the road there ever gets that clear.

Come to think of it, it wasn't the Tour of Britain final stage they were
thinking of was it? Hordes of lycra clad cyclists averaging 30mph going
through that junction 40 times in 100 mins whether the lights were red
or green. OTOH it was an officially sanctioned closed road race and I
don't remember the peleton hitting anyone.

Tony

Tony Raven October 11th 04 06:03 PM

Annabel Smyth wrote:

I dare say - when you step into the road and have to leap back on to the
pavement to avoid being run down, you consider it "nearly". At least, I
do..... Had I been another inch further into the road, we would have
collided.

Did you look before you stepped into the road or did you make the common
pedestrian mistake of believing because you cannot hear a motor there is
no traffic. Would you have stepped out in the same way if a car had
been approaching at the same speed?

Tony

[Not Responding] October 11th 04 08:12 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 21:12:49 +0100, "Frank X"
wrote:

"David Martin" wrote in message
.. .
On 11/10/04 12:12 am, in article , "Nick
Cooper" wrote:

Indeed. Whinging cyclists should be aware that not all of their
bretheren are white-clad angels-on-wheels.

They are no more my brethren than they are yours. In the same way that
uk.r.c regard most bus drivers as good, well trained and competent
professionals who it is a pleasure to share the road with.

????
Where do you live?

When I'm cycling I'd rather be sharing the road with bus drivers than
car drivers. They've had more training and have more incentive to
follow the rules and try not to kill anyone.

Richard J. October 11th 04 08:33 PM

Tony Raven wrote:
Annabel Smyth wrote:

I dare say - when you step into the road and have to leap back on
to the pavement to avoid being run down, you consider it "nearly".
At least, I do..... Had I been another inch further into the road,
we would have collided.

Did you look before you stepped into the road or did you make the
common pedestrian mistake of believing because you cannot hear a
motor there is no traffic.

Why are you so reluctant to acknowledge the cause of this dangerous
incident? The cyclist (or POB if you prefer) rode through a red light.
Are you trying to condone that?

--
Richard J.

Tony Raven October 11th 04 10:54 PM

Richard J. wrote:

Why are you so reluctant to acknowledge the cause of this dangerous
incident? The cyclist (or POB if you prefer) rode through a red light.
Are you trying to condone that?

If you bothered to read my other posts in this thread you would already
know that I do not condone red light jumping by cyclists (or
motorcyclists, motorists, taxis or buses for that matter)

Tony

David Martin October 12th 04 07:46 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

Cooper" wrote:

Indeed. Whinging cyclists should be aware that not all of their
bretheren are white-clad angels-on-wheels.

They are no more my brethren than they are yours. In the same way that
uk.r.c regard most bus drivers as good, well trained and competent
professionals who it is a pleasure to share the road with.

????
Where do you live?

Dundee. It's the one in fifty who are complete ******* who tend to impinge
more on your memory.

The bus drivers around here are, in the vast majority of cases, very good
and pleasant to share the road with. There are always some exceptions.

...d

Dave Larrington October 12th 04 09:21 AM

David Martin wrote:

Dundee. It's the one in fifty who are complete ******* who tend to
impinge more on your memory.

The bus drivers around here are, in the vast majority of cases, very
good and pleasant to share the road with. There are always some
exceptions.

Around here - London Town Devine - approximately 50% of them appear to be
terminal menks. Most notably he

where they seem to regard the observance of red lights and box junctions as
optional. Moreover, Uncle Ken and his Kohorts have now introduced
Bendy-Buses on two routes which occupy some, or more, of my commute. They
have big signs on the back saying "this vehicle is 18m long", a fact of
which many of the drivers appear to be ignorant. Gagh!

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Annabel Smyth October 12th 04 10:11 AM

David Martin wrote to uk.transport.london on Tue, 12 Oct 2004:

The bus drivers around here are, in the vast majority of cases, very good
and pleasant to share the road with. There are always some exceptions.

From a pedestrian's point of view, even in London it is those bus
drivers who see you running for the bus and deliberately pull away or
slam the door in your face who are remembered; the many more who wait
for you - and I saw one extremely nice driver wait for a young woman who
had to run for quite a distance two days ago - are soon forgotten.

Annabel Smyth October 12th 04 10:14 AM

Annabel Smyth wrote:
I dare say - when you step into the road and have to leap back on to
the
pavement to avoid being run down, you consider it "nearly". At least, I
do..... Had I been another inch further into the road, we would have
collided.

Did you look before you stepped into the road or did you make the
common pedestrian mistake of believing because you cannot hear a
motor there is no traffic. Would you have stepped out in the same way
if a car had been approaching at the same speed?

Normally, when a pelican crossing is on a pedestrian cycle, the traffic
stops to allow pedestrians to cross the road. The cars had stopped, the
"little green man" was green, and the audible indicator was beeping.
Cyclist came up inside a bus, where he couldn't be seen, and zoomed
straight past, utterly ignoring the three facts mentioned above.

Alan Braggins October 12th 04 11:49 AM

Cooper" wrote:

Indeed. Whinging cyclists should be aware that not all of their
bretheren are white-clad angels-on-wheels.

They are no more my brethren than they are yours. In the same way that
uk.r.c regard most bus drivers as good, well trained and competent
professionals who it is a pleasure to share the road with.

????
Where do you live?

Dundee. It's the one in fifty who are complete ******* who tend to impinge
more on your memory.

The bus drivers around here are, in the vast majority of cases, very good
and pleasant to share the road with. There are always some exceptions.

There's more to being a competent professional bus driver than being a
pleasure to share the road with. Making some attempt to stick to the route
on the timetable, for example. Maybe they do that more often in Dundee than
Cambridge, see cam.transport passim.

Jon Senior October 12th 04 12:11 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

In article ,
says...
Normally, when a pelican crossing is on a pedestrian cycle, the traffic
stops to allow pedestrians to cross the road.

The above statement comes across as a little naive to me. Certainly the
crossing outside my flat often bears witness to drivers approaching with
wheels locked because they didn't notice in time, or simply driving
straight through on red.

The cars had stopped, the
"little green man" was green, and the audible indicator was beeping.
Cyclist came up inside a bus, where he couldn't be seen, and zoomed
straight past, utterly ignoring the three facts mentioned above.

As someone once pointed out. Every other driver could be a red light
jumper and you'd never know because it only takes one car to block them.
The same is not true of cyclists so you tend to see the real proportion
of people who believe that the law doesn't apply to them.

Jon

Annabel Smyth October 12th 04 01:23 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

Jon Senior wrote to uk.transport.london on Tue, 12 Oct 2004:

In article ,
says...
Normally, when a pelican crossing is on a pedestrian cycle, the traffic
stops to allow pedestrians to cross the road.

The above statement comes across as a little naive to me. Certainly the
crossing outside my flat often bears witness to drivers approaching with
wheels locked because they didn't notice in time, or simply driving
straight through on red.

The one outside my flat, too - but not the one just opposite Brixton
Tube station, where this incident happened, where, if anything, it is
the other way about (i.e. the pedestrians cross all the time and woe
betide the hapless traffic!).

Tony Raven October 12th 04 04:36 PM

Annabel Smyth wrote:

Normally, when a pelican crossing is on a pedestrian cycle, the traffic
stops to allow pedestrians to cross the road. The cars had stopped, the
"little green man" was green, and the audible indicator was beeping.
Cyclist came up inside a bus, where he couldn't be seen, and zoomed
straight past, utterly ignoring the three facts mentioned above.

In that case you not only met a cyclist who's actions I don't condone,
you also met one of those p******s who give the rest of us a bad name
for which I apologise.

Tony

Just zis Guy, you know? October 12th 04 05:20 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On 12 Oct 2004 12:49:06 +0100 (BST), (Alan
Braggins) wrote in message
:

There's more to being a competent professional bus driver than being a
pleasure to share the road with. Making some attempt to stick to the route
on the timetable, for example.

We have two shuttle buses to my office from the station. One is owned
and operated by the property management company, and the driver is a
fine and courteous gentleman who has even been known to give me and my
bike a lift on occasion. The other is of the sort who thinks of
bicycles as a theoretical construct of zero thickness and infinite
rigidity, to be passed with a minimum of diversion from
straight-ahead, and moving at a speed whereby it is save to move back
in again as soon as said cyclist is out of your peripheral vision.

They are both driving the same route to the same timetable, so the
more aggressive one merely has to wait somewhat longer at each end.

Just zis Guy, you know? October 12th 04 05:50 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:14:21 +0100, Annabel Smyth
wrote in message
:

Normally, when a pelican crossing is on a pedestrian cycle, the traffic
stops to allow pedestrians to cross the road.

Though not always, for example in Reading. Where it is also
considered perfectly acceptable to drive through bus links clearly
marked for buses and taxis only.

Many road users do whatever they think they can get away with. In the
case of cyclists, they do so primarily at risk to themselves. In the
case of motorists, less so.

Which is why some URCers take umbrage when the lawless behaviour of
some cyclists is used as a smokescreen to obscure the lawless and much
more dangerous behaviour of many drivers.

Nick Cooper 625 October 18th 04 01:57 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

Jon Senior wrote in message .. .
In article ,
says...
I dare say - when you step into the road and have to leap back on to the
pavement to avoid being run down, you consider it "nearly". At least, I
do..... Had I been another inch further into the road, we would have
collided.

I've been surprisingly good at avoiding collisions when pedestrians
randomly wander into the road without looking. It's possible that the
moron in question wouldn't actually have hit you (Although if he was
cycling through a red his skills are somewhat irrelevant).

Good for you. Unfortunately, in most cases I've witness or been a
party to, the cyclists in question invariably jumped reds at Pelicans,
often swerving into view from behind moto vehicles that had actually
stopped at the lights.

Mind you, come to think of it, I'm so fat the cyclist would probably
have come off worst.

Despite my earlier claim I have however hit a pedestrian once while
cycling. Neither of us sustained serious injuries (Although I did have a
stiff arm for a few days) and he was very quick to apologise (His
fault!).

I think you'd actually have to be pretty unlucky to be seriously hurt by
a cyclist. Being in some way attached to the bike means that they tend
to come off worst!

Oh, well that makes it perfectly alright then.

Jon Senior October 18th 04 08:05 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

Nick Cooper 625 opined the following...
Good for you. Unfortunately, in most cases I've witness or been a
party to, the cyclists in question invariably jumped reds at Pelicans,
often swerving into view from behind moto vehicles that had actually
stopped at the lights.

In which case the pedestrians weren't randomly wandering into the road
and the cyclists should have stopped. But we've been through this
already.

Oh, well that makes it perfectly alright then.

Not really but (Here we go again) compare and contrast to the same
impact involving a car travelling at a proportionally higher speed (Or
even at the same speed)! There is a reason why despite the apparent
hoards of cyclists (or so we are continually informed) that jump red
lights and ride straight at pedestrians, there is a ridiculously small
number of cycling induced pedestrian casualties each year.

Jon

Nick Cooper 625 October 19th 04 01:09 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

Jon Senior wrote in message .. .
In article ,
says...
[...]

Not just a river in Egypt....

There is a five-way junction outside Lambeth North Tube station, which
I use as it's the closest to where I work, and so have to negotiate
it as a pedestrian at leat twice a day. Despite the heavy traffic, I
genuinely can't recall the last time I saw a motor vehicle jumping the
lights. Cyclists jumping reds or avoiding them by swerving onto the
pavements, though, are virtually a daily occurance.

Nick Cooper 625 October 19th 04 01:16 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message . ..
On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 18:43:20 GMT,
(Nick Cooper) wrote:

[...]

Your supposition that I have any affinity with - or remit to defend -
the drivers of motor vehicles.

Alternatively you could consider to what extent the relative
seriousness of your pet hate

Please justify use of phrase "pet hate".

Please jsutify the use of illegal cyclist behaviour to excuse illegal
and potentially lethal bus driver behaviour.

And where am I supposed to have done that, smartarse?

and the homicidal bus driver might be informed by the fact the fact
that the bus driver is trained to a higher standard than most road
users, is entrusted with the safety of multiple occupants of his
vehicle, is driving a large and heavy vehicle and is notionally a
professional driver paid to drive. His company has a duty of care to
those with whom their drivers share the roads.

So that excuses crap cyclists, does it?

So you feel it's perfectly acceptable to use the behaviour of crap
cyclists to excuse that of crap drivers, but not vice-versa?
Fascinating.

Since I haven't, then obviously not. Admit it - you don't even know
what you're talkign about, do you?

Just zis Guy, you know? October 19th 04 01:32 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On 19 Oct 2004 06:16:58 -0700, (Nick
Cooper 625) wrote:

What supposition? Look back at the history of cross-posted threads
between urc and uk.tosspot.

Your supposition that I have any affinity with - or remit to defend -
the drivers of motor vehicles.

And yet you seek to prosecute cyclists for the tiny risk they pose,
without at the same time commenting on the equally commonplace and far
more dangerous lawbreaking of motorised road users. Why is that, I
wonder? Most pedestrians' representatives seem to have no trouble
distinguishing between the scale of risk posed by cars and bicycles,
and devote their efforts to controlling motor danger. We already know
that you are about 200 times more likely to be killed /on the footway/
by a motor driver than by a cyclist, after all.

But instead of railing against lawlessness among vehicle users - which
is not in any way contentious (except on uk.tosspot, a fantasy land
where speeding is not illegal) - you choose to pick on those who not
only pose little risk, but actually share the danger. In case you
hadnt noticed the leading cause of both pedestrian and cyclist death
is collisions involving motor vehicles. And cyclists are actually
much less likely to be to blame for their own demise than are
pedestrians.

It is a strange and inconsistent view you have.

Please jsutify the use of illegal cyclist behaviour to excuse illegal
and potentially lethal bus driver behaviour.

And where am I supposed to have done that, smartarse?

Up through the thread history, that is how you started the whole
thing.

So you feel it's perfectly acceptable to use the behaviour of crap
cyclists to excuse that of crap drivers, but not vice-versa?
Fascinating.

Since I haven't, then obviously not. Admit it - you don't even know
what you're talkign about, do you?

Indeed I do, having spent a lot of time researching the matter.

Jon Senior October 20th 04 12:10 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

Nick Cooper 625 opined the following...
Not just a river in Egypt....

So you claim that a single cyclist stopping at a light prevents others
from doing so? Or perhaps that a car stopping at a light does not
prevent other cars from doing so? Or perharps you just didn't read what
I wrote?

There is a five-way junction outside Lambeth North Tube station, which
I use as it's the closest to where I work, and so have to negotiate
it as a pedestrian at leat twice a day. Despite the heavy traffic, I
genuinely can't recall the last time I saw a motor vehicle jumping the
lights. Cyclists jumping reds or avoiding them by swerving onto the
pavements, though, are virtually a daily occurance.

Good for you. There are around 10 sets of lights between my flat and
work by the most direct route. Every day I see a succession of cars
accelerate when they turn amber with at least one car passing through
well after they have turned red. At one junction this is such a common
occurence that there is no point attempting to go forwards when the
lights go green because there will _always_ be at least one car still
travelling across the junction.

At the same junction I have _never_ seen a cyclist jump the red
(Probably for fear of their lives!) nor have I seen one mount the
pavement to cross it. I do see this from time to time and don't deny
that people do it (I sometimes ask them not to), but the fact that you
haven't seen a car jump the reds implies you have a limited circle of
travel or that you're too busy watching the cyclists to notice what the
cars are doing!

Jon

Nick Cooper October 20th 04 08:13 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

Cooper 625) wrote:

What supposition? Look back at the history of cross-posted threads
between urc and uk.tosspot.

Your supposition that I have any affinity with - or remit to defend -
the drivers of motor vehicles.

And yet you seek to prosecute cyclists for the tiny risk they pose,
without at the same time commenting on the equally commonplace and far
more dangerous lawbreaking of motorised road users.

I daresay if you looked properly you would see a fair few comments by
me about motor vehicle drivers. However, I see just as many cyclists
behaving like aresholes as car/van/lorry drivers, so I don't see why
they should be excused comment.

Why is that, I wonder?

Because you have a self-selecting chip on your shoulder?

Most pedestrians' representatives seem to have no trouble
distinguishing between the scale of risk posed by cars and bicycles,
and devote their efforts to controlling motor danger. We already know
that you are about 200 times more likely to be killed /on the footway/
by a motor driver than by a cyclist, after all.

Yes, I'm sure that's a huge consolation to any pedestrian who gets hit
by a reckless cyclist. Of course, cars do not routinely deliberate
travel on pavements, but many cyclists certainly do.

But instead of railing against lawlessness among vehicle users - which
is not in any way contentious (except on uk.tosspot, a fantasy land
where speeding is not illegal) - you choose to pick on those who not
only pose little risk, but actually share the danger. In case you
hadnt noticed the leading cause of both pedestrian and cyclist death
is collisions involving motor vehicles. And cyclists are actually
much less likely to be to blame for their own demise than are
pedestrians.

If you can prove that I have never made an adverse comment about motor
vehicle drivers, you might have a point, but since you can't, you're
just coming up with the same self-selecting ******** again.

It is a strange and inconsistent view you have.

No, it's a strange an inconsistent defensive attitude you have.

Please jsutify the use of illegal cyclist behaviour to excuse illegal
and potentially lethal bus driver behaviour.

And where am I supposed to have done that, smartarse?

Up through the thread history, that is how you started the whole
thing.

Really? I can't see any statement by me that "excuse illegal
and potentially lethal bus driver behaviour." Would you care to
identify it specifically, or are you just leaping to huge conclusions.
Again.

So you feel it's perfectly acceptable to use the behaviour of crap
cyclists to excuse that of crap drivers, but not vice-versa?
Fascinating.

Since I haven't, then obviously not. Admit it - you don't even know
what you're talkign about, do you?

Indeed I do, having spent a lot of time researching the matter.

Nice set of reasearch blinkers you have, obviously.
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk

Colin Blackburn October 20th 04 08:27 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

wrote:

Most pedestrians' representatives seem to have no trouble
distinguishing between the scale of risk posed by cars and bicycles,
and devote their efforts to controlling motor danger. We already know
that you are about 200 times more likely to be killed /on the footway/
by a motor driver than by a cyclist, after all.

Yes, I'm sure that's a huge consolation to any pedestrian who gets hit
by a reckless cyclist. Of course, cars do not routinely deliberate
travel on pavements, but many cyclists certainly do.

Really?

At the lights just over there, points out window, one lane opens to two
for the stop line. If there are vehicles waiting to turn right, and there
usually are, then those drivers who want to go straight on mount the
pavement and drive along it to bypass stopped vehicles. The drivers'
behaviour is routine, I see it every single day, and deliberate.

At the school over there, points in roughly the same direction, the
parents seem to not want to let their little dears walk too far along the
pavement so they park as near to the school as possible. When the yellow
zigzags are full, as they usually are, drivers will mount the pavement and
drive along it, parking on the grass verge (and the pavement.) The
drivers' behaviour is routine, I see it every school day, and deliberate.
It makes the pavement so dangerous parents daren't let their kids walk on
it!

These are just two places in Durham, not a particularly large city. I
would doubt they are the only examples or routine and deliberate pavement
driving even for Durham.

Why do you think there are so many bollards along the outer edges of
pavements?

Colin

David Hansen October 20th 04 08:54 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:13:11 GMT someone who may be
(Nick Cooper) wrote
this:-

Of course, cars do not routinely deliberate
travel on pavements, but many cyclists certainly do.

Correct. They are inanimate objects.

However, car drivers do routinely and deliberately travel on
pavements. I see it every day.

I also see cyclists do the same thing. The one who did so outside my
office yesterday was not keen on me sweeping some broken glass
across the pavement and into the road.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

Roland Perry October 20th 04 09:43 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

In message , at 09:54:16 on
Wed, 20 Oct 2004, David Hansen
remarked:
Of course, cars do not routinely deliberate
travel on pavements, but many cyclists certainly do.

Correct. They are inanimate objects.

However, car drivers do routinely and deliberately travel on
pavements. I see it every day.

I also see cyclists do the same thing.

I've often seen cars *on* the pavement, but rarely had difficulty with
one that was *driving* along the pavement. Never has one come close to
threatening me (although sometimes it's inconvenient to get past them).

However, I have often had collisions, or had to move very fast to avoid
one, when a cyclist has been making progress along the pavement while
ignoring the pedestrians. And no, these were not "shared use" pavements.

Just zis Guy, you know? October 20th 04 11:19 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:13:11 GMT,
(Nick Cooper) wrote:

I daresay if you looked properly you would see a fair few comments by
me about motor vehicle drivers. However, I see just as many cyclists
behaving like aresholes as car/van/lorry drivers, so I don't see why
they should be excused comment.

First, "not around here" - remember this is x-posted to
uk.rec.cycling, whihc is where I live.

Second, I am not aware of *anybody* on urc who advocates cyclists
being excused from wrongdoing. We might be able to advance possible
reasons why they do it (e.g. riding on the pavement because of fear of
traffic and councils' blurring of the boundaries with their cans of
paint), what we take exception to is bald statements that cyclists are
lawless, when the clear evidence is that /all/ vehicular road users
are lawless, and a good many non-vehicular ones as well.

Why is that, I wonder?

Because you have a self-selecting chip on your shoulder?

Or not. We get a lot of cross-posts around here from people who
clearly walk and drive but never cycle, who then berate cyclists for
their behaviour without acknowledging the poor behaviour of other road
users.

One of the key contributors to road danger, in my view, is the
pernicious idea that all the danger is caused by the behaviour of the
nebulous "them" and that the things we do must necessarily be safe
because they have not yet ended in catastrophe.

Most pedestrians' representatives seem to have no trouble
distinguishing between the scale of risk posed by cars and bicycles,
and devote their efforts to controlling motor danger. We already know
that you are about 200 times more likely to be killed /on the footway/
by a motor driver than by a cyclist, after all.

Yes, I'm sure that's a huge consolation to any pedestrian who gets hit
by a reckless cyclist. Of course, cars do not routinely deliberate
travel on pavements, but many cyclists certainly do.

So explain, then, how car drivers, even though they almost never
venture on the footway, still manage to kill 200 times as many
pedestrians on the footway as do cyclists?

It suggests to me that the risk from cyclists is rather small, and
would be better tackled by addressing the source of most danger, which
is also conicidentally responsible for encouraging the cyclists onto
the footway in the first place.

If you can prove that I have never made an adverse comment about motor
vehicle drivers, you might have a point, but since you can't, you're
just coming up with the same self-selecting ******** again.

You started a cyclist-baiting crosspost. Prior behaviour is
irrelevant.

It is a strange and inconsistent view you have.

No, it's a strange an inconsistent defensive attitude you have.

On the contrary, my attitude is wholly consistent: all road users
should control their vehicles according to the law and the Highway
Code. I believe that if everybody drove and rode according to the HC
the roads would be much safer.

Please jsutify the use of illegal cyclist behaviour to excuse illegal
and potentially lethal bus driver behaviour.
And where am I supposed to have done that, smartarse?

Up through the thread history, that is how you started the whole
thing.

Really? I can't see any statement by me that "excuse illegal
and potentially lethal bus driver behaviour."

Ah, so you are making the pedantic point that you were merely singling
out cyclists from the much greater causes of risk, for some reason
known only to yourself. A difference which makes no difference in my
view, but I will concede the point if you like.

So you feel it's perfectly acceptable to use the behaviour of crap
cyclists to excuse that of crap drivers, but not vice-versa?
Fascinating.
Since I haven't, then obviously not. Admit it - you don't even know
what you're talkign about, do you?

Indeed I do, having spent a lot of time researching the matter.

Nice set of reasearch blinkers you have, obviously.

The blinkers are to be found on those who use only one type of
vehicle, a group which does not include me.

Just zis Guy, you know? October 20th 04 11:20 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:43:36 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

I've often seen cars *on* the pavement, but rarely had difficulty with
one that was *driving* along the pavement.

There are bollards on the pavement at one set of lights near me to
stop precisely this, because cars (and especially buses and goods
vehicles) were routinely driving along the footway to bypass the queue
at a set of lights.

Mike Bristow October 21st 04 07:20 AM

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
So explain, then, how car drivers, even though they almost never
venture on the footway, still manage to kill 200 times as many
pedestrians on the footway as do cyclists?

I'm curious, now.

How many cycles are there? How many cars? Perhaps vechical-hours
would be a better measure - do you have any estimates for that?

--
You dont have to be illiterate to use the Internet, but it help's.

Just zis Guy, you know? October 21st 04 08:29 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 07:20:32 +0000 (UTC), Mike Bristow
wrote:

So explain, then, how car drivers, even though they almost never
venture on the footway, still manage to kill 200 times as many
pedestrians on the footway as do cyclists?

I'm curious, now.
How many cycles are there? How many cars? Perhaps vechical-hours
would be a better measure - do you have any estimates for that?

There is no measure available that I am aware of for the number of
hours spent (or miles covered) riding or driving on the footway. The
only data we have is anecdotal, viz:

- all cyclists ride only on the footway, except when they drop onto
the road in order to ride through a red light

- no motorist ever drives on the footway, all those cars parked on the
footway are carefully lifted there by their drivers

And yet, amazingly, there are orders of magnitude more people killed
on the footway by motor drivers than by cyclists. Baffling, innit?

David Hansen October 21st 04 11:09 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 07:20:32 +0000 (UTC) someone who may be Mike
Bristow wrote this:-

So explain, then, how car drivers, even though they almost never
venture on the footway, still manage to kill 200 times as many
pedestrians on the footway as do cyclists?

I'm curious, now.

How many cycles are there? How many cars? Perhaps vechical-hours
would be a better measure - do you have any estimates for that?

It is irrelevant. From the point of view of a pedestrian what
matters is how likely they are to be killed by a cyclist or killed
by a motorist. That is the relative risk they are concerned with and
the raw numbers demonstrate it.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.