London Banter

-   -   Bus driver complaint and OYBike (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2116-bus-driver-complaint-oybike.html)

Paul Weaver September 1st 04 06:00 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

Riding my rather groovy OYbike (details to follow) up wood lane at 18:20
this evening, passed dozens of cars, vans, lorries, no problem, then, just
south of TVC, a double decker bus was blocking the lane. I peers arround the
right but there was no way I was going to chance riding on the outside of
the traffic facing those vehicles. Had to get off and walk past the bus on
the pavement. The bus was a 220, W reg, possibly W9#XXX. When confronted his
response was "**** you". Who can I complain to to ensure he loses his job,
or at the bery least is forced to ride a bike for 50 miles arround London.

As for OYBIKE.

After a long wait, registration is open. Naturally I jumped at the chance,
so when I finally got a lunch break (17:30) I raced out of TVC to the White
City OYBike rank. Giddy with glee, I powered the interface. Phoned up, said
I wanted to take a bike, out, read out a code, and got a code back. Entered
it, didn't work first time (probably my fault as it was fine later).

Took the bike out, rode down to Olympia via:

Wood lane, Shepherds Bush, Back of W12, Sinclair Road, Right at Olympia and
arround.

I was careful to obey every traffic law.

The bike:
The seat was a little low and loose, and the pedels were a little too low.
Strange type of bike too, with handle bars sloping upwards as they go away.
Bell was good, although futile as I found out.

The journey.

Down Wood Lane, most cars and lorries passed with plenty of space, 2 cars
were closer then I'd like. One bus pased me, and was the closest vehicle to
me by far (the 000 hammersmith hospital one).

At shepherds bush I patiently waited at the cycle lane red light as 3 (count
em) bikes went riding past me. After the light changed to green I rode ahead
and soon caught them up at the next light.

Across Shepherds Bush Green, I followed the cycle lane. The signs vanished
though, so I had to guess. Passed a few pedestrians on the way but no real
problems.

The rest of the journey was uneventful, I followed another bike all the way
to Olympia.

As those who know the area, the road past Olympia parallel to the railway is
a private road. It's one way, allowing traffic going TOWARDS Shepherds bush,
but not the other way. While Cyclists routinely ignore this, I was
determined to ride legally. Turned right and made my way arround Olympia.

Plugged the bike back in which involved typing a 13 digit number that I had
received by text, then phoning up an operator and reading another long
number out

The return procedure was similar

The journey back began uneventful, however after leaving Olympia I was
confused. While Sinclair Road is "no entry" - no exceptions, there was a
cycle lane painted in the direction I wanted to travel. I assumed the
"except for cycles" had fallen off, and it's not LBHF's incompetence.

Got to the road behind W12 shopiing center and signaled left. Rang my bell
at some wandering pedestrians (They did have right of way though), and
passed them. Suddenly had a car coming towards me, wrong side of the road.
She stoped then held her hand in shame. As I passed she'd wound down the
window and shouted "sorry!". The solution for people like this isn't points
or a fine, it's riding a bike 10 miles in london. They just dont realise the
consequences of their actions, and a fine wont help.

Couple of cars blocked the cycle lane on the bottom road of the Green, as my
lights went on to Green I attempted to pass and had to weave past them.

No problems up wood lane until the bus mentioned above. Parked at white city
and went through the whole ringing oybike again.

OYBike have at least two operators, and when I was riding back to work, I
head someone exclaim "there's another one" - so I'm not the only customer
they've had, however they really need to increase the speed of renting and
returning a bike if they want to become a real alternative, it's expensive
until then (2 phone calls and the normal fee)

--
Everything above is the personal opinion of the author, and nothing to do
with where he works and all that lovely disclaimery stuff.

dwb September 1st 04 06:25 PM

Paul Weaver wrote:
Riding my rather groovy OYbike (details to follow) up wood lane at
18:20 this evening, passed dozens of cars, vans, lorries, no problem,
then, just south of TVC, a double decker bus was blocking the lane. I
peers arround the right but there was no way I was going to chance
riding on the outside of the traffic facing those vehicles. Had to
get off and walk past the bus on the pavement.

I'm a bit confused, what exactly was the bus doing wrong?

Roland Perry September 1st 04 06:34 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

In message , at 19:25:27 on Wed, 1 Sep
2004, dwb remarked:
I'm a bit confused, what exactly was the bus doing wrong?

Sounds like it was stopped in a mandatory bike lane. A very common
offence.

dwb September 1st 04 07:12 PM

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 19:25:27 on Wed, 1 Sep
2004, dwb remarked:
I'm a bit confused, what exactly was the bus doing wrong?

Sounds like it was stopped in a mandatory bike lane. A very common
offence.

Aren't bike lanes also frequently bus lanes?

Simonb September 1st 04 07:14 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

Roland Perry wrote:

a mandatory bike lane

An what?

Solar Penguin September 1st 04 07:19 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

--- "Paul Weaver" wrote...

a double decker bus was blocking the lane.

A bus in a bus lane!?! No!!! What is the world coming to!?!

Paul Weaver September 1st 04 07:20 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message
Helen Mayhew

Doh, bloddy clipboard

dwb September 1st 04 07:37 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

Paul Weaver wrote:
Helen Mayhew
"dwb" wrote in message
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 19:25:27 on Wed, 1 Sep
2004, dwb remarked:
I'm a bit confused, what exactly was the bus doing wrong?

Sounds like it was stopped in a mandatory bike lane. A very common
offence.

Aren't bike lanes also frequently bus lanes?

Not in this case.

Was there somewhere else for the bus to be? Sounds like you had the
pavement - what did the bus have?

Adrian Boliston September 1st 04 07:38 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message

Riding my rather groovy OYbike (details to follow) up wood lane at 18:20
this evening, passed dozens of cars, vans, lorries, no problem, then, just
south of TVC, a double decker bus was blocking the lane. I peers arround

the
right but there was no way I was going to chance riding on the outside of
the traffic facing those vehicles.....

It is not very clear what the problem is here. Was the bike/bus lane the
only lane in the direction you were travelling (ie a contra flow bike lane)?

Paul Weaver September 1st 04 08:10 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

"dwb" wrote in message
Paul Weaver wrote:
Helen Mayhew
"dwb" wrote in message
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 19:25:27 on Wed, 1 Sep
2004, dwb remarked:
I'm a bit confused, what exactly was the bus doing wrong?

Sounds like it was stopped in a mandatory bike lane. A very common
offence.

Aren't bike lanes also frequently bus lanes?

Not in this case.

Was there somewhere else for the bus to be? Sounds like you had the
pavement - what did the bus have?

No, I didn't have the pavement. Unlike the majority of cyclists I obey the
rules of the road and ride on the road, not the pavement - the domain of
pedestrians.

The bus could have stayed on his part of the highway, same as evrey car and
lorry I passed. If it was too wide to fit (it wasn't), then it shouldn't
have been driving down that road.

Paul Weaver September 1st 04 08:11 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

"Solar Penguin" wrote in message

--- "Paul Weaver" wrote...

a double decker bus was blocking the lane.

A bus in a bus lane!?! No!!! What is the world coming to!?!

IT WAS A CYCLE LANE, NOT A BUS LANE

Paul Weaver September 1st 04 08:12 PM

"Adrian Boliston" wrote in message
"Paul Weaver" wrote in message

Riding my rather groovy OYbike (details to follow) up wood lane at 18:20
this evening, passed dozens of cars, vans, lorries, no problem, then,

just
south of TVC, a double decker bus was blocking the lane. I peers arround

the
right but there was no way I was going to chance riding on the outside

of
the traffic facing those vehicles.....

It is not very clear what the problem is here. Was the bike/bus lane the
only lane in the direction you were travelling (ie a contra flow bike

lane)?

The bike lane was in the direction I was traveling. There is no bus lane.

Roland Perry September 1st 04 08:12 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

In message , at 20:14:03 on
Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Simonb
remarked:
a mandatory bike lane

An what?

A bike lane marked by a solid white line, that motorised vehicles are
banned from entering. Unlike a one with dashed lines, where they can if
necessary to avoid another vehicle.

Richard J. September 1st 04 08:18 PM

Paul Weaver wrote:
Riding my rather groovy OYbike (details to follow) up wood lane at
18:20 this evening, passed dozens of cars, vans, lorries, no
problem, then, just south of TVC, a double decker bus was blocking
the lane.

A mandatory cycle-only lane, according to a later post of yours.

I peers arround the right but there was no way I was
going to chance riding on the outside of the traffic facing those
vehicles.

Facing what vehicles? Isn't Wood Lane a two-way road? So if the bus is
parked across the cycle lane, isn't there still room between it and the
centre line?

Had to get off and walk past the bus on the pavement. The
bus was a 220, W reg, possibly W9#XXX. When confronted his response
was "**** you".

What does "when confronted" mean? I assume you didn't enquire politely
why he was parked in the cycle lane, for which he might have had a
plausible excuse (e.g. breakdown). What exactly did you say?

Who can I complain to to ensure he loses his job,
or at the bery least is forced to ride a bike for 50 miles arround
London.

So you want to sack someone who returned your rudeness just because you
had to walk past a bus on the pavement. Grow up.

--
Richard J.

John Rowland September 1st 04 09:14 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message

Who can I complain to to ensure he loses
his job, or at the bery least is forced to ride
a bike for 50 miles arround London.

Anyone who drives a car will be delayed on a regular basis by cyclists. This
time the cyclist was delayed by the motor vehicle. It happens. Get over it.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

D.M. Procida September 1st 04 09:20 PM

Paul Weaver wrote:

Riding my rather groovy OYbike (details to follow) up wood lane at 18:20
this evening, passed dozens of cars, vans, lorries, no problem, then, just
south of TVC, a double decker bus was blocking the lane. I peers arround the
right but there was no way I was going to chance riding on the outside of
the traffic facing those vehicles. Had to get off and walk past the bus on
the pavement. The bus was a 220, W reg, possibly W9#XXX. When confronted his
response was "**** you". Who can I complain to to ensure he loses his job,
or at the bery least is forced to ride a bike for 50 miles arround London.

I can't quite understand what the issue is here, but a few years ago a
bus rushed passed me like a mountain of solid air, much too close for my
comfort, and 50m down the road took the wing mirror off a parked car.

I said to him - very politely, as he was taking down the details of the
car he'd damaged - "excuse me, I thought you were too close to me as
well." He dismissed me rudely, saying he'd been "miles away" from me.

I wrote to the bus company, and got a polite letter apologising for the
incident and saying the driver had been sent on extra training.

Daniele
--
Apple Juice Ltd
Chapter Arts Centre

vernon levy September 1st 04 09:44 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

I said to him - very politely, as he was taking down the details of the
car he'd damaged - "excuse me, I thought you were too close to me as
well." He dismissed me rudely, saying he'd been "miles away" from me.

I wrote to the bus company, and got a polite letter apologising for the
incident and saying the driver had been sent on extra training.

Not quite the same as the 'threat' to personal safety posed by a stationary
vehicle. Some folk invite rude behaviour from others by the self-righteous
stances that they assume. In a previous thread I, mentioned that at my most
agitated I might shake my head in disbelief or mock sorrow at the
misdemeanours of other road users and get on with the rest of my life.
Getting worked up and taking the time to write about a parked bus indicates
a serious lack of laissez faire. Move on forget it. I doubt a sacking will
take place. London would grind to a standstill if all transport employees
were sacked on demand because of their rude behaviour.

dwb September 1st 04 09:48 PM

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 20:14:03
on Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Simonb
remarked:
a mandatory bike lane

An what?

A bike lane marked by a solid white line, that motorised vehicles are
banned from entering. Unlike a one with dashed lines, where they can
if necessary to avoid another vehicle.

Um, the bus lanes that I see in London have solid white lines, so not sure
how that works :/

Danny Colyer September 1st 04 09:54 PM

Richard J. wrote:
So you want to sack someone who returned your rudeness just because you
had to walk past a bus on the pavement. Grow up.

If I spoke in that manner to a potential customer then I would expect to
be sacked. Why should bus drivers be any difference.

Anyway, if a professional driver takes a motor vehicle into a mandatory
cycle lane that sounds like gross incompetence to me. In any job I
would expect employees to get at the very least a written warning after
demonstrating gross incompetence.

URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/

Danny Colyer September 1st 04 10:01 PM

John Rowland wrote:
Anyone who drives a car will be delayed on a regular basis by cyclists. This
time the cyclist was delayed by the motor vehicle. It happens. Get over it.

Interesting. In 14 years of driving I have never actually been delayed
by a cyclist. There have been occasions when I've had to wait until it
was safe to pass a cyclist, but after getting past it never takes long
to catch up with the next traffic jam.

OTOH, as a cyclist I have been delayed by motorists on a few thousand
occasions [1]. Usually only small delays, but very real delays nonetheless.

[1] Yes, really. At a rough estimate I have made about 4000 cycle
journeys at rush hour. Most of those journeys will have involved more
than one delay resulting from the congestion caused by motor vehicles.

URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/

Richard J. September 1st 04 10:23 PM

dwb wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
20:14:03
on Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Simonb
remarked:
a mandatory bike lane

An what?

A bike lane marked by a solid white line, that motorised vehicles
are banned from entering. Unlike a one with dashed lines, where
they can if necessary to avoid another vehicle.

Um, the bus lanes that I see in London have solid white lines, so
not sure how that works :/

We're talking about cycle lanes, not bus lanes.
--
Richard J.

Adrian Boliston September 1st 04 10:33 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message

The bike lane was in the direction I was traveling. There is no bus lane.

So I assume there were other lanes avaliable apart from the cycle lane that
you could have used to keep going, instead of using the pavement?

redtube September 1st 04 10:43 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

As for OYBIKE.

OYBike have at least two operators, and when I was riding back to work, I
head someone exclaim "there's another one" - so I'm not the only customer
they've had,

I work at White City Station and I've seen these monstrosity looking bikes
totally appearing to be unused.
I assume its YOU that have rented one of the four that were clipped up there
outside the Station? Three seems to remain or is the fourth now back in
position?

I wouldnt be seen dead riding one them unless it was for charity. Why cant
they provide decent looking bikes?
The whole thing is a joke. And how much are they per hour or whatever the
telephone call is? Is it Premium Rate? Tell us please.

--
regards, Redtube
See you at the London Tube Chat

Chris Davies September 1st 04 11:31 PM

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 19:34:15 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 19:25:27 on Wed, 1 Sep
2004, dwb remarked:
I'm a bit confused, what exactly was the bus doing wrong?

Sounds like it was stopped in a mandatory bike lane. A very common
offence.

Something similar happened to me this morning on my way to work.
A fella in a van was dropping what looked like his wife off. He pulled
into the bike(only) lane, then opened his drivers door as I rode past. I
swerved out, narrowly missing his door. Didn't say anything to him, just
went to work. Really, what good would it have done, other than making me
momentarily feel better? It wouldn't have given him a nice image of
cyclists, which ultimately is what we all want.
I've said it before, not that this excuses in any way the bus driver in
the OP's belligerence, but working drivers like bus drivers are that
agressive because of their job. I used to drive multi-drop (deliveries) in
central London. IME pushing in front of people becomes second nature. In
fact, in most driving jobs you would get the sack if you took longer to do
something than everyone else.
A bike and rider that weighs 230 lbs (heavy for a bike and rider) can turn
or stop a lot more easily than a lorry that weighs 15000 lbs (a very
small, light lorry). If you were driving one and a cyclist ran into the
back of it you probably wouldn't notice if you couldn't see them in your
mirror. You have to watch out for lorries, buses and other working
drivers, and get out of their way as soon as it's safe to do so. Don't
shout at them, it won't help you and it isn't fair to them. They're trying
to make a living.
Now as for the t**ts in BMWs and the kids driving souped up Fraud Festers,
sometimes you need to shout at them, cause it's important to make them pay
attention. But that's another thing entirely.
Take it easy,

Chris
--
|C|H|R|I|S|@|T|R|I|N|I|T|Y|W|I|L|L|S|.|C|O|M|
Remove the bars to contact me

Frank X September 2nd 04 12:34 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

"Adrian Boliston" wrote in message
"Paul Weaver" wrote in message

The bike lane was in the direction I was traveling. There is no bus lane.

So I assume there were other lanes avaliable apart from the cycle lane
that
you could have used to keep going, instead of using the pavement?

Going round on the outside of a bus on some roads can be dangerous as they
can pull out without looking or signalling, forcing you into the path of
oncoming traffic.

Roland Perry September 2nd 04 07:07 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

In message , at 22:48:05 on Wed, 1 Sep
2004, dwb remarked:
A bike lane marked by a solid white line, that motorised vehicles are
banned from entering. Unlike a one with dashed lines, where they can
if necessary to avoid another vehicle.

Um, the bus lanes that I see in London have solid white lines, so not sure
how that works :/

Quite well, because they are mandatory *bus* lanes. As well as the
signage, the width is a bit of a giveaway. You might have to travel a
bit out from central London to see a bike-only lane.

Richard Goodman September 2nd 04 07:34 AM

"Frank X" wrote in message

"Adrian Boliston" wrote in message
"Paul Weaver" wrote in message

The bike lane was in the direction I was traveling. There is no bus

lane.

So I assume there were other lanes avaliable apart from the cycle lane
that
you could have used to keep going, instead of using the pavement?

Going round on the outside of a bus on some roads can be dangerous as they
can pull out without looking or signalling, forcing you into the path of
oncoming traffic.

I guess that can apply to any parked vehicle, and applies to practically
every road that is only two-lanes wide. It's just something that cyclists
as road users have to be aware of and deal with. You can't just get off
and use the pavement as an alternative to going round the outside every time
you need to pass a bus in London. At least not if you expect to get
anywhere in any reasonable amount of time.

Rich

Colin Davidson September 2nd 04 07:47 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message
Riding my rather groovy OYbike (details to follow) up wood lane at 18:20
this evening, passed dozens of cars, vans, lorries, no problem, then, just
south of TVC, a double decker bus was blocking the lane. I peers arround

the
right but there was no way I was going to chance riding on the outside of
the traffic facing those vehicles. Had to get off and walk past the bus on
the pavement. The bus was a 220, W reg, possibly W9#XXX. When confronted

his
response was "**** you". Who can I complain to to ensure he loses his job,
or at the bery least is forced to ride a bike for 50 miles arround London.

Well, if it works like it does around here then you'll be able to complain
to a manager at the bus company, but nothing will come of it. I wish you
better luck than I've had.

Annabel Smyth September 2nd 04 09:13 AM

dwb wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 1 Sep 2004:

Um, the bus lanes that I see in London have solid white lines, so not sure
how that works :/

Usually extremely badly, as last night. We were doing our monthly drive
from Brixton to Alexandra Palace, and, going north up Woburn Place,
discovered that our lane is now divided into two, with a permanent bus
lane and one traffic lane. Unfortunately, on the other side of the
road, there is no bus lane, and a parked car diverted an oncoming bus
into our lane. We *had* to go slightly into the bus lane, as there was
no other option left open - I wonder whether the reason will show if the
cameras we saw were working, or whether we'll get £100 fine because we
were in the bus lane....

Then when we got to Kentish Town Road, our way was suddenly blocked by
roadworks, and a diversion set up. This helpfully signposted us where
we should go - but "Diversion Ends" signs appeared and we had absolutely
no idea where we were! It took a bit of trial and error before we
discovered we were on Highgate Hill, and more before we found a familiar
landmark. But that's another story.....
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Paul Weaver September 2nd 04 09:28 AM

"Annabel Smyth" wrote in message
into our lane. We *had* to go slightly into the bus lane, as there was
no other option left open - I wonder whether the reason will show if the
cameras we saw were working, or whether we'll get £100 fine because we
were in the bus lane....

The bus forced its way onto your side of the road? It's the busses fault
then, I trust you took it's number an made a formal complaint.

However thats no excuse for you to enter a bus lane unless and emergency -
you should have stopped as if the bus lane was a pavement.

davek September 2nd 04 09:41 AM

Annabel Smyth wrote:
We *had* to go slightly into the bus lane, as there was
no other option left open

....except waiting for the bus to pass, which is what you should have done.

d.

Paul Weaver September 2nd 04 09:43 AM

"Chris Davies" wrote in message
drivers, and get out of their way as soon as it's safe to do so. Don't
shout at them, it won't help you and it isn't fair to them. They're trying
to make a living.

Good for them, if they insist of breaking the law while doing that then they
should get a job where they cant endanger others.

Now as for the t**ts in BMWs and the kids driving souped up Fraud Festers,
sometimes you need to shout at them, cause it's important to make them pay
attention. But that's another thing entirely.
Take it easy,

What's the difference between a bus driver and a car driver, except a bus
driver should know better?

Paul Weaver September 2nd 04 09:48 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

"redtube" wrote in message

As for OYBIKE.

OYBike have at least two operators, and when I was riding back to work,

head someone exclaim "there's another one" - so I'm not the only

customer
they've had,

I work at White City Station and I've seen these monstrosity looking bikes
totally appearing to be unused.
I assume its YOU that have rented one of the four that were clipped up

there
outside the Station? Three seems to remain or is the fourth now back in
position?

I wouldnt be seen dead riding one them unless it was for charity. Why cant
they provide decent looking bikes?
The whole thing is a joke. And how much are they per hour or whatever the
telephone call is? Is it Premium Rate? Tell us please.

Yeah, they look pretty goofy, but you have to try them out at least once :D

Yeah, it was me that took the bike. Put it back on the other stand (there's
two at white city).

The phone call is an 0845 number, takes about a minute at check in and check
out. Add the 30p/80p to rent and it mounts up.

I dont think they'll get enough customers to pay for the person on the
phone, let alone the maintenece and overheads.

Annabel Smyth September 2nd 04 09:49 AM

Paul Weaver wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 2 Sep 2004:

"Annabel Smyth" wrote in message
into our lane. We *had* to go slightly into the bus lane, as there was
no other option left open - I wonder whether the reason will show if the
cameras we saw were working, or whether we'll get £100 fine because we
were in the bus lane....

The bus forced its way onto your side of the road? It's the busses fault
then, I trust you took it's number an made a formal complaint.

No time, it was all too fast....

However thats no excuse for you to enter a bus lane unless and emergency -
you should have stopped as if the bus lane was a pavement.

We did, more or less - but it was one of those situations where, if we
had stopped, someone would have had to reverse - and in that traffic, at
that time of day? I don't think so!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

vernon levy September 2nd 04 10:16 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message
"Annabel Smyth" wrote in message
into our lane. We *had* to go slightly into the bus lane, as there was
no other option left open - I wonder whether the reason will show if the
cameras we saw were working, or whether we'll get £100 fine because we
were in the bus lane....

The bus forced its way onto your side of the road? It's the busses fault
then, I trust you took it's number an made a formal complaint.

Get a life! Re-read the original posting below and justify your above
interpretation.

Unfortunately, on the other side of the
road, there is no bus lane, and a parked car diverted an oncoming bus
into our lane.

I think you should have a spell as a bus driver and experience the stresses
and strains of trying to maintain a public service to a timetable in an
environment that conspires to prevent it from happening. If was the person
receiving your trivial letter(s) of complaint I can guarantee my litter bin
would give it the attention it deserved.

Allan September 2nd 04 10:46 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

Chris Davies wrote:
snip
A bike and rider that weighs 230 lbs (heavy for a bike and rider) can turn
or stop a lot more easily than a lorry that weighs 15000 lbs (a very
small, light lorry). If you were driving one and a cyclist ran into the
back of it you probably wouldn't notice if you couldn't see them in your
mirror. You have to watch out for lorries, buses and other working
drivers, and get out of their way as soon as it's safe to do so. Don't
shout at them, it won't help you and it isn't fair to them. They're trying
to make a living.

snip
Chris

I would agree that as a cyclist you have to watch out for buses etc. it
is however true that some bus drivers etc do not look out for cyclists.
This last Saturday I was stopped at light when a bus pulled up behind
me. When the lights change the bus driver pulled out and over took with
reasonable room, unfortunatly he then started to both pull in and brake
to stop at a bus stop ( he was pulling up short to the stop as there was
a bus already stopped at the stop )just as his rear wheel was level with
me. I had to brake hard too avoid being the filling in a kerb/bus
sandwich. As I passed the drivers window I pointed out what he had done
( surprisingly without expletives) then carried on my way.A little way
further on ( before the next bus stop ) I became aware that the bus was
not overtaking me, I looked round and saw the bus behind me and the
driver appeared to be indicating for me to pull over at the next stop.
He then passed me with the passenger door open and started shouting that
I "was an idiot and should not be on the road". He had to stop at the
next bus stop but shouted out of his window as I passed (could not make
that out). He over took me again, again with his door open shouting
something along the lines of " if your not on/a bus you should not be on
the road" and that " I should be on a cycle lane and not on the road" (
the fact that he had never noticed that there are total of 20yrds of
cycle lane on the 3 miles of this road is worrying)At this point all I
shouted back to him was I was reporting him and read out his bus ID
number . I then stopped and took down his license plate number as he
continued on his way. I later reported his behavior to the police (
after I had cooled down)

Allan

Annabel Smyth September 2nd 04 10:51 AM

vernon levy wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 2 Sep 2004:

I think you should have a spell as a bus driver and experience the stresses
and strains of trying to maintain a public service to a timetable in an
environment that conspires to prevent it from happening. If was the person
receiving your trivial letter(s) of complaint I can guarantee my litter bin
would give it the attention it deserved.

Exactly! I might complain, or perhaps *explain*, were we to be fined
for inadvertently putting a wheel into the bus lane; otherwise, why?
The bus had no choice, after all. It's not like those drivers who see
you running up and deliberately pull away, laughing - or those
conductors who start the bus before you have got off, and then refuse to
apologise....

Fortunately, there are enough of the other kind to prove that these are
the exceptions, rather than the rules.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Annabel Smyth September 2nd 04 10:52 AM

davek wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 2 Sep 2004:

Annabel Smyth wrote:
We *had* to go slightly into the bus lane, as there was
no other option left open

...except waiting for the bus to pass, which is what you should have done.

We couldn't; there was no space - we would all be sat there yet, waiting
for someone to be able to reverse!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Colin McKenzie September 2nd 04 12:42 PM

Annabel Smyth wrote:
davek wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 2 Sep 2004:
...except waiting for the bus to pass, which is what you should have done.

We couldn't; there was no space - we would all be sat there yet, waiting
for someone to be able to reverse!

In theory, waiting restrictions should be so arranged that the parked
car would not be there during the hours of operation of the bus lane.

However, this requires thoughtful design, careful implementation, and
no politically-motivated adjustments afterwards.

Colin McKenzie
--
The great advantage of not trusting statistics is that
it leaves you free to believe the damned lies instead!