London Banter

-   -   Bus driver complaint and OYBike (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2116-bus-driver-complaint-oybike.html)

Nick Cooper 625 October 21st 04 11:42 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message . ..
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:13:11 GMT,
(Nick Cooper) wrote:

I daresay if you looked properly you would see a fair few comments by
me about motor vehicle drivers. However, I see just as many cyclists
behaving like aresholes as car/van/lorry drivers, so I don't see why
they should be excused comment.

First, "not around here" - remember this is x-posted to
uk.rec.cycling, whihc is where I live.

Yes, well obviously every time I comment on bad drivers I think, "Oh,
I must remember to crosspost to urc, just so they know I don't just
have a go at cyclists...."

Second, I am not aware of *anybody* on urc who advocates cyclists
being excused from wrongdoing. We might be able to advance possible
reasons why they do it (e.g. riding on the pavement because of fear of
traffic and councils' blurring of the boundaries with their cans of
paint), what we take exception to is bald statements that cyclists are
lawless, when the clear evidence is that /all/ vehicular road users
are lawless, and a good many non-vehicular ones as well.

That's not a reason not to comment on the lawlessness of some
cyclists. By your line of reasoning, we shouldn't talk about X
medical condition being debilitating, because Y condition is _far_
worse.

Why is that, I wonder?

Because you have a self-selecting chip on your shoulder?

Or not. We get a lot of cross-posts around here from people who
clearly walk and drive but never cycle, who then berate cyclists for
their behaviour without acknowledging the poor behaviour of other road
users.

So every time someone makes an adverse comment about a cyclists
behaviour, they should include an apologetic, "but, of course,
car/van/lorry/bus drivers as as bad/worse"? Yeah, right....

One of the key contributors to road danger, in my view, is the
pernicious idea that all the danger is caused by the behaviour of the
nebulous "them" and that the things we do must necessarily be safe
because they have not yet ended in catastrophe.

Most pedestrians' representatives seem to have no trouble
distinguishing between the scale of risk posed by cars and bicycles,
and devote their efforts to controlling motor danger. We already know
that you are about 200 times more likely to be killed /on the footway/
by a motor driver than by a cyclist, after all.

Yes, I'm sure that's a huge consolation to any pedestrian who gets hit
by a reckless cyclist. Of course, cars do not routinely deliberate
travel on pavements, but many cyclists certainly do.

So explain, then, how car drivers, even though they almost never
venture on the footway, still manage to kill 200 times as many
pedestrians on the footway as do cyclists?

I don't know, but I would be inclined to ask how many cars there are
on the roads compared to bicycles, because otherwise your statement is
meaningless. Many more people are killed on the roads than in light
aircraft accidents in the UK every year, but that means nothing unless
you know the differences in usage.

It suggests to me that the risk from cyclists is rather small, and
would be better tackled by addressing the source of most danger, which
is also conicidentally responsible for encouraging the cyclists onto
the footway in the first place.

So what "danger" causes cyclists to ride through reds at Pelican
crossings, when there isn't a motor vehicle within twenty metres of
them? What "dangers" causes them to swerve onto the pavement at
junctions to bypass red lights and make a left-hand turn? I see
these happening all the time, but can't even remotely say the same of
drivers.

If you can prove that I have never made an adverse comment about motor
vehicle drivers, you might have a point, but since you can't, you're
just coming up with the same self-selecting ******** again.

You started a cyclist-baiting crosspost. Prior behaviour is
irrelevant.

No, I made an observation in light of an existing cross-post. Lacking
the sense of telepathy your pompous attitude of superiority suggests
you possess, I had no way of knowing if the originator of the thread -
and whose post I was responding to - was posting primarily via urc or
utl.

It is a strange and inconsistent view you have.

No, it's a strange an inconsistent defensive attitude you have.

On the contrary, my attitude is wholly consistent: all road users
should control their vehicles according to the law and the Highway
Code. I believe that if everybody drove and rode according to the HC
the roads would be much safer.

Please jsutify the use of illegal cyclist behaviour to excuse illegal
and potentially lethal bus driver behaviour.
And where am I supposed to have done that, smartarse?
Up through the thread history, that is how you started the whole
thing.

Really? I can't see any statement by me that "excuse illegal
and potentially lethal bus driver behaviour."

Ah, so you are making the pedantic point that you were merely singling
out cyclists from the much greater causes of risk, for some reason
known only to yourself. A difference which makes no difference in my
view, but I will concede the point if you like.

Again we seem to come back to this idea you have that cyclist are
beyond reproach - except, it seems, amongst _other_ cyclists - just
because drivers are worse. Where's the logic in that? Should be not
condemn human rights abuses perpetrated by the United States because
there are other countries that are worse?

So you feel it's perfectly acceptable to use the behaviour of crap
cyclists to excuse that of crap drivers, but not vice-versa?
Fascinating.
Since I haven't, then obviously not. Admit it - you don't even know
what you're talkign about, do you?
Indeed I do, having spent a lot of time researching the matter.

Nice set of reasearch blinkers you have, obviously.

The blinkers are to be found on those who use only one type of
vehicle, a group which does not include me.

Well, since I don't operate any type of vehicle, I can be truly
objective, then.

Clive George October 21st 04 11:54 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

"Nick Cooper 625" wrote in message
om...

So every time someone makes an adverse comment about a cyclists
behaviour, they should include an apologetic, "but, of course,
car/van/lorry/bus drivers as as bad/worse"? Yeah, right....

If you look at the title/beginning of the thread, I think you'll find it was
the other way round : somebody made an adverse comment on bus drivers, and
somebody else said 'cyclists are as bad/worse'.

clive

Just zis Guy, you know? October 21st 04 12:51 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On 21 Oct 2004 04:42:46 -0700, (Nick
Cooper 625) wrote:

First, "not around here" - remember this is x-posted to
uk.rec.cycling, whihc is where I live.

Yes, well obviously every time I comment on bad drivers I think, "Oh,
I must remember to crosspost to urc, just so they know I don't just
have a go at cyclists...."

Alternatively, you could try not launching pointless attacks on
cyclists in the first place.

Second, I am not aware of *anybody* on urc who advocates cyclists
being excused from wrongdoing.

That's not a reason not to comment on the lawlessness of some
cyclists. By your line of reasoning, we shouldn't talk about X
medical condition being debilitating, because Y condition is _far_
worse.

So instead we should, to use your own analogy, focus on that one
medical condition, vilifying it and using derogatory language, and not
even acknowledging the fact that it is a tiny problem, portraying it
as if it /the/ major threat to life and limb. Brilliant.

That will work especially well if the medical condition in question
turns out to be something which extends life, but which, when combined
with one of the conditions we are determinedly ignoring, ends up with
death.

On second thoughts, it seems that your analogy falls apart as soon we
start to bring in reality.

So every time someone makes an adverse comment about a cyclists
behaviour, they should include an apologetic, "but, of course,
car/van/lorry/bus drivers as as bad/worse"? Yeah, right....

Yeah, right. A moment's rational thought will reveal that the problem
is not cyclists, it is lawless and careless vehicle use.

So explain, then, how car drivers, even though they almost never
venture on the footway, still manage to kill 200 times as many
pedestrians on the footway as do cyclists?

I don't know, but I would be inclined to ask how many cars there are
on the roads compared to bicycles, because otherwise your statement is
meaningless.

Read it again. These are deaths /on the footway/. You have asserted
that large numbers of cyclists ride on the footway for much of their
journey, do you believe that the average annual passenger mileage of
cars on the footway is as high as it is for bicycles? An order of
magnitude lower? Two orders of magnitude? We are constantly being
told that no driver sets out to accomplish all or aany significant
part of his journey on the footway, yet at least some cyclists appear
to do just that. At some ages they are positively encouraged to do
so. In some locations adult cyclists are berated for not doing so.

And yet, despite the fact that it appears vastly more bicyclist miles
are ridden on the pavement than motorist miles, the risk /on the
pavement/ from motor traffic is over two orders of magnitude higher.

On the face of it that says to me that focusing on pavement cycling
alone in this way is absurd.

It suggests to me that the risk from cyclists is rather small, and
would be better tackled by addressing the source of most danger, which
is also conicidentally responsible for encouraging the cyclists onto
the footway in the first place.

So what "danger" causes cyclists to ride through reds at Pelican
crossings, when there isn't a motor vehicle within twenty metres of
them?

That is different from the question of pavement cycling. There are
two main reasons why cyclists go through red lights: first, because
they can get away with it, and second, because the energy required to
restart after coming to a halt is equivalent to extending your journey
by up to 200 metres.

They can get away with it because, in the main, they do not conflict
with other traffic when doing so. If they did, they would die, and
they know that. It is quite difficult to weave through a stream of
crossing pedestrians in somethign 6ft wide and 15ft long, much easier
to do so on something 18" wide and 5ft long - especially when it is
very manoeuvrable.

Which is not an excuse, any more than the fact that we know why
drivers jump lights is an excuse.

So now we look at the fatality figures on pedestrian crossings, which
are about equal to those for footways (crossing the road is dangerous,
even when you have priority). Of these fatalities, how many are
caused by cyclists? And the answer is, once again, somewhere below a
quarter of 1% - and once again this is despite your assertion that
cyclists do this all the time, and drivers only rarely. So once
again, any rational measure of risk leaves tackling cyclists well down
on the "if we get around to it" pile.

What "dangers" causes them to swerve onto the pavement at
junctions to bypass red lights and make a left-hand turn? I see
these happening all the time, but can't even remotely say the same of
drivers.

As previously posted, there are bolards on the pavement at a set of
lights near my home precisely to prevent drivers from doing this.

You started a cyclist-baiting crosspost. Prior behaviour is
irrelevant.

No, I made an observation in light of an existing cross-post.

Yes, I see that my newsreader has expired the earlier posts. But you
did bring up the issue of cyclists.

Ah, so you are making the pedantic point that you were merely singling
out cyclists from the much greater causes of risk, for some reason
known only to yourself. A difference which makes no difference in my
view, but I will concede the point if you like.

Again we seem to come back to this idea you have that cyclist are
beyond reproach

Absolutely not. Nor are they uniquely (or even especially) worthy of
reproach. That is my point.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Nick Cooper 625 October 21st 04 07:52 PM

"Clive George" wrote in message ...
"Nick Cooper 625" wrote in message
om...

So every time someone makes an adverse comment about a cyclists
behaviour, they should include an apologetic, "but, of course,
car/van/lorry/bus drivers as as bad/worse"? Yeah, right....

If you look at the title/beginning of the thread, I think you'll find it was
the other way round : somebody made an adverse comment on bus drivers, and
somebody else said 'cyclists are as bad/worse'.

So you think there is something fundamentally wrong with saying some
cyclists as "as bad" ("worse" was never mentioned)? Are cyclists
beyond reproach?

Nick Cooper 625 October 21st 04 08:03 PM

Cooper 625) wrote:

First, "not around here" - remember this is x-posted to
uk.rec.cycling, whihc is where I live.

Yes, well obviously every time I comment on bad drivers I think, "Oh,
I must remember to crosspost to urc, just so they know I don't just
have a go at cyclists...."

Alternatively, you could try not launching pointless attacks on
cyclists in the first place.

Obviously we're back to your 11th Commandment again: "Thous shalt not
criticise cyclists."

Second, I am not aware of *anybody* on urc who advocates cyclists
being excused from wrongdoing.

That's not a reason not to comment on the lawlessness of some
cyclists. By your line of reasoning, we shouldn't talk about X
medical condition being debilitating, because Y condition is _far_
worse.

So instead we should, to use your own analogy, focus on that one
medical condition, vilifying it and using derogatory language, and not
even acknowledging the fact that it is a tiny problem, portraying it
as if it /the/ major threat to life and limb. Brilliant.

That chip on you shoulder is obviously weighing you down again.

That will work especially well if the medical condition in question
turns out to be something which extends life, but which, when combined
with one of the conditions we are determinedly ignoring, ends up with
death.

On second thoughts, it seems that your analogy falls apart as soon we
start to bring in reality.

I get the impression that isn't a place you visit very often.

I asserted no such thing, I couldn't give a **** about the latter.

An order of magnitude lower? Two orders of magnitude? We are
constantly being told that no driver sets out to accomplish all or aany
significant part of his journey on the footway, yet at least some
cyclists appear to do just that. At some ages they are positively
encouraged to do so. In some locations adult cyclists are berated for
not doing so.

Ditto.

And yet, despite the fact that it appears vastly more bicyclist miles
are ridden on the pavement than motorist miles, the risk /on the
pavement/ from motor traffic is over two orders of magnitude higher.

On the face of it that says to me that focusing on pavement cycling
alone in this way is absurd.

However, since I wasn't....

It suggests to me that the risk from cyclists is rather small, and
would be better tackled by addressing the source of most danger, which
is also conicidentally responsible for encouraging the cyclists onto
the footway in the first place.

So what "danger" causes cyclists to ride through reds at Pelican
crossings, when there isn't a motor vehicle within twenty metres of
them?

That is different from the question of pavement cycling.

The "question" you have largely invented here....

There are two main reasons why cyclists go through red lights: first,
because they can get away with it, and second, because the energy required
to restart after coming to a halt is equivalent to extending your journey
by up to 200 metres.

Well, tough ****ing ****. Do you see car drivers coming up with the
same excuse? "I don't stop for red lights, because the action of
bringing the vehicle back upto speed is like spending another X amount
on petrol." Do you realise what a total idiot you sound like?

[...]

Again we come back to your weird "worst first" set of priorities....

[...]

Pointless more like it.

Clive George October 21st 04 08:13 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

"Nick Cooper 625" wrote in message
om...
"Clive George" wrote in message

"Nick Cooper 625" wrote in message
om...

So every time someone makes an adverse comment about a cyclists
behaviour, they should include an apologetic, "but, of course,
car/van/lorry/bus drivers as as bad/worse"? Yeah, right....

If you look at the title/beginning of the thread, I think you'll find it

was
the other way round : somebody made an adverse comment on bus drivers,

and
somebody else said 'cyclists are as bad/worse'.

So you think there is something fundamentally wrong with saying some
cyclists as "as bad" ("worse" was never mentioned)? Are cyclists
beyond reproach?

Yes, no.

Fundamentally, a bad cyclist would have to try incredibly hard to be more
dangerous than a bad bus driver, so it is unreasonable to excuse bad bus
drivers by claiming that cyclists are as bad. Which is what the comment that
sparked all this nasty disagreement was doing.

No, cyclists are not beyond reproach.

Happy now?

clive

Danny Colyer October 21st 04 10:00 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

Nick Cooper 625 blathered, in response to Guy:
On second thoughts, it seems that your analogy falls apart as soon we
start to bring in reality.

I get the impression that isn't a place you visit very often.

Guy is a Christian, but otherwise seems to be pretty firmly rooted in
reality.

There are two main reasons why cyclists go through red lights: first,
because they can get away with it, and second, because the energy required
to restart after coming to a halt is equivalent to extending your journey
by up to 200 metres.

Well, tough ****ing ****. Do you see car drivers coming up with the
same excuse?

Do you have difficulty reading? Guy stated 2 *reasons* why cyclists go
through red lights, not *excuses*. In fact, 2 paragraphs later Guy
wrote: "Which is not an excuse..."

Which is not an excuse, any more than the fact that we know why
drivers jump lights is an excuse.

Oh look, you didn't even snip it! Actually, you /do/ seem to have
difficulty trimming, as well.

URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/

Nick Cooper October 22nd 04 08:07 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 21:13:02 +0100, "Clive George"
wrote:

"Nick Cooper 625" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

This is starting to develop into a theme of cyclists leaping
spectacurly to the conclusion they want, rather than actually reading
what was said. I'd ask you to identify this mythical statement that
"cyclists are as bad," but I'm getting a bit bored with this obsessive
over-defensiveness from the Lycra Lobby....
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk

Nick Cooper October 22nd 04 08:08 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 23:00:21 +0100, Danny Colyer
wrote:

[...]

Half the problem with this thread is cyclist-apologists
overly-trimming and then claiming that things were said which weren't.

Clive George October 22nd 04 09:31 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

"Nick Cooper" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Your first post in this thread, I believe. Google groups confirms. You imply
that the cyclist behaviour you complain about is as bad as the bus driver
behaviour originally complained about.

clive

Just zis Guy, you know? October 22nd 04 11:24 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:08:54 GMT,
(Nick Cooper) wrote in
message :

Half the problem with this thread is cyclist-apologists
overly-trimming and then claiming that things were said which weren't.

And the other half is idiots whose hatred of cyclists overwhelms any
sense of perspective.

Just zis Guy, you know? October 22nd 04 11:24 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On 21 Oct 2004 13:03:50 -0700, (Nick
Cooper 625) wrote in message
:

Obviously we're back to your 11th Commandment again: "Thous shalt not
criticise cyclists."

Is the wrong answer. You started this subthread by advancing the bad
behaviour of cyclists as some kind of defence or excuse for the bad
behaviour of bus drivers. Given that bus drivers are paid to drive,
trained to an advanced standard and specially licensed, driving large
and dangerous vehicles, responsible for the safety of their passengers
as well as the general public - the comparison simply doesn't stand
up.

So instead we should, to use your own analogy, focus on that one
medical condition, vilifying it and using derogatory language, and not
even acknowledging the fact that it is a tiny problem, portraying it
as if it /the/ major threat to life and limb. Brilliant.

That chip on you shoulder is obviously weighing you down again.

Projection, n

(Psychology)
1. The attribution of one's own attitudes, feelings, or
suppositions to others: “Even trained anthropologists have
been guilty of unconscious projectionof clothing the subjects
of their research in theories brought with them into the
field” (Alex Shoumatoff).

2. The attribution of one's own attitudes, feelings, or
desires to someone or something as a naive or unconscious
defense against anxiety or guilt.

Seems to cover your attitude here, I think.

Read it again. These are deaths /on the footway/. You have asserted
that large numbers of cyclists ride on the footway for much of their
journey, do you believe that the average annual passenger mileage of
cars on the footway is as high as it is for bicycles?

I asserted no such thing, I couldn't give a **** about the latter.

Ah, so you only care about red light jumping / pedestrian crossing
offences. In which case...

[...]

The range of excuses used by drivers (all road users, in fact) for
their illegal behaviour is legendary. To suggest that this is unique
to cyclists is absurd.

Again we come back to your weird "worst first" set of priorities....

LOL! So weird, in fact, that Mr Pareto famously invented a law to
describe it!

Jeremy Parker October 22nd 04 12:15 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message

[snip]

...... There are
two main reasons why cyclists go through red lights: first, because
they can get away with it, and second, because the energy required

restart after coming to a halt is equivalent to extending your

journey
by up to 200 metres.

There's a third reason, too, although thankfully it's not as common
in London as it is in some places.

There are traffic engineers who don't consider vehicles without
motors to be proper vehicles, so they simply set the traffic light
vehicle detectors so they don't detect cyclists. This trains
cyclists to believe that there is no point in waiting at lights,
because lights don't turn green for cyclists. Furthermore it sends
out the message that the professionals who cause the inevitably
resulting red light running don't consider that red light running to
be a problem.

I gather that bad detectors are sometimes a problem even for
motorcycles.

Jeremy Parker

Ian Smith October 22nd 04 12:49 PM

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:07:51 GMT, Nick Cooper wrote:
I'd ask you to identify this mythical statement that
"cyclists are as bad,"

Ooh, ooh, I know this one!

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:13:11 GMT
However, I see just as many cyclists behaving like aresholes as
car/van/lorry drivers,

That appears to be by you in a direct ancestor of this post. Do you
deny you said it?

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:13:11 GMT
However, I see just as many cyclists behaving like aresholes as
car/van/lorry drivers,

That appears to be by you in a direct ancestor of this post. Do you
deny you said it?

Miss, miss! Teh nasty man's confusing us with FACTS, miss!

World Domination?
Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

Monkey Hanger October 22nd 04 04:56 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

(Nick Cooper 625) wrote in
om:

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
. ..

So once again, any rational measure of risk leaves tackling cyclists
well down on the "if we get around to it" pile.

Again we come back to your weird "worst first" set of priorities....

Can you justify *not* setting your priorities this way?

--
Chris

Mike Bristow October 22nd 04 07:59 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

In article ,
David Hansen wrote:
It is irrelevant. From the point of view of a pedestrian what
matters is how likely they are to be killed by a cyclist or killed
by a motorist.

Debatable[1], but irrelevant. My curiousity still has not been sated!

Does anyone know - roughly - how many cyclists there are? Or the
relative number of journeys each mode makes?

[1] The pedestrian may want to make adjustments to their own behaviour
when they see vehicles approaching them. And others may wish to
make a cost/benifit analysis for measures to reduce the number -
the benefits are larger if you target cars (by the factor of 200
you cite); but the costs are likely also larger (because there are
- probably - more cars to fit bubble wrap to. Or whatever).

--
You dont have to be illiterate to use the Internet, but it help's.

Nick Cooper October 23rd 04 12:29 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

Cooper 625) wrote in message
:

Obviously we're back to your 11th Commandment again: "Thous shalt not
criticise cyclists."

Is the wrong answer. You started this subthread by advancing the bad
behaviour of cyclists as some kind of defence or excuse for the bad
behaviour of bus drivers.

yawn No I didn't. Why should I? Stop doggedly sticking to you own
misassumption.

Given that bus drivers are paid to drive, trained to an advanced
standard and specially licensed, driving large and dangerous vehicles
responsible for the safety of their passengers as well as the general
public - the comparison simply doesn't stand up.

Well, it's a comparison of your own making, so it's nothing to do with
me. I would make the observation, though, that a bus driver
disgregarding their training and behaving in a dangerous manner is no
less irrational than a cyclist disregarding all common sense and
nehaving in a dangerous manner. They may have different potential
consequences, but the basic fact that both behave in a way they should
know is wrong is similar.

So instead we should, to use your own analogy, focus on that one
medical condition, vilifying it and using derogatory language, and not
even acknowledging the fact that it is a tiny problem, portraying it
as if it /the/ major threat to life and limb. Brilliant.

That chip on you shoulder is obviously weighing you down again.

Projection, n

(Psychology)
1. The attribution of one's own attitudes, feelings, or
suppositions to others: “Even trained anthropologists have
been guilty of unconscious projectionof clothing the subjects
of their research in theories brought with them into the
field” (Alex Shoumatoff).

2. The attribution of one's own attitudes, feelings, or
desires to someone or something as a naive or unconscious
defense against anxiety or guilt.

Seems to cover your attitude here, I think.

Nope, yours, I think you'll find. Above you suggested - yet again -
that I portray cyclists as "/the/ major threat to life and limb" -
essentially that cyclists are _more_ of a threat. This is a total
fantasy of your own making.

[...]

1% is meaningless when you can't quantify the number of motor vehicles
compared to the number of bicycles.

There are two main reasons why cyclists go through red lights: first,
because they can get away with it, and second, because the energy required
to restart after coming to a halt is equivalent to extending your journey
by up to 200 metres.

Well, tough ****ing ****. Do you see car drivers coming up with the
same excuse? "I don't stop for red lights, because the action of
bringing the vehicle back upto speed is like spending another X amount
on petrol." Do you realise what a total idiot you sound like?

The range of excuses used by drivers (all road users, in fact) for
their illegal behaviour is legendary. To suggest that this is unique
to cyclists is absurd.

The absurdity, again, is of your own making. Nowhere have I ever said
that the _threat_ posed by cyclists is greater, but I have said that
the _behaviour_ of some cyclists is as bad as some drivers. It is
your own prejudices that seem to make you incapable of understanding
the difference between the two.

One thing I will say is that as a pedestrian I have reached the
experience-based conclusion that cyclists are far less predictable
than drivers. If I am using a Pelican crossing - whether waiting for
the traffic signal to go read, or actually on the crossing - I know
that in the vast majority cases approaching motor vehicles will and do
slow and stop. Cyclists, however, are far less prone to do so. In
fact, it is a regular sight for me to see both types approaching a
crossing that his already on red for them, and while the driver will
stop, the cyclist will not, regardless of how crowded the crossing may
be with pedestrians at the time. I've see the latter happen several
times a week, but the former only very rarely. Similarly if no-one is
one the crossing, cyclists will often ignore the red and go straight
through (witnessed frequently - twice yestrrday, in fact), while
drivers far less so (seen maybe once or twice a week). This amply
illustrates the extent to which some cyclists think the law does not
apply to them.

Nick Cooper October 23rd 04 12:29 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:31:14 +0100, "Clive George"
wrote:

"Nick Cooper" wrote in
message ...
[...]

That was unclear of me. I should have said I'd ask you to identify
this mythical statement that "cyclists are as bad... to _excuse_ bad
bus drivers" (my emphasis). I wasn't making any excuses for motor
vehicle drivers, and I have no reason to do so. I'm not a driver
(never have been), and I'm not a cyclist (at least not for a long
time) - I don't owe any allegiance to either group.

Nick Cooper October 23rd 04 12:29 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 12:24:27 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:08:54 GMT,
(Nick Cooper) wrote in
message :

Half the problem with this thread is cyclist-apologists
overly-trimming and then claiming that things were said which weren't.

And the other half is idiots whose hatred of cyclists overwhelms any
sense of perspective.

I don't "hate" cyclists any more than I "hate" drivers (I am neither).

Clive George October 23rd 04 12:55 PM

Cooper 625) wrote in message
:

Obviously we're back to your 11th Commandment again: "Thous shalt not
criticise cyclists."

Is the wrong answer. You started this subthread by advancing the bad
behaviour of cyclists as some kind of defence or excuse for the bad
behaviour of bus drivers.

yawn No I didn't. Why should I? Stop doggedly sticking to you own
misassumption.

It's a pretty common misassumption. Why didn't you even bother to change the
thread title?

clive

Nick Cooper October 23rd 04 04:00 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 13:55:45 +0100, "Clive George"
wrote:

"Nick Cooper" wrote in
message ...

Cooper 625) wrote in message
:

Obviously we're back to your 11th Commandment again: "Thous shalt not
criticise cyclists."

Is the wrong answer. You started this subthread by advancing the bad
behaviour of cyclists as some kind of defence or excuse for the bad
behaviour of bus drivers.

yawn No I didn't. Why should I? Stop doggedly sticking to you own
misassumption.

It's a pretty common misassumption.

Which says far more about the over-sensitivity of those making it.
Just because five people jump to the same false conclusion, it doesn't
mean it is no longer false.

Why didn't you even bother to change the thread title?

Perhaps because at that stage I didn't even remotely consider such an
irrationally over-defensive reaction. It was just a tangential
observation I would have been surprised had it resulted in more than
half a dozen follow-ups. In fact, it's been a bit like a doctor
tapping a patient's knee, only for the whole body to go into spasm.

Nick Cooper October 23rd 04 04:11 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On 22 Oct 2004 16:56:37 GMT, Monkey Hanger wrote:

(Nick Cooper 625) wrote in
. com:

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
. ..

So once again, any rational measure of risk leaves tackling cyclists
well down on the "if we get around to it" pile.

Again we come back to your weird "worst first" set of priorities....

Can you justify *not* setting your priorities this way?

So you would advocate, say, stopping funding on all types of medical
research bar that into cancer, and concentrate entirely on that?

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:13:11 GMT
However, I see just as many cyclists behaving like aresholes as
car/van/lorry drivers,

That appears to be by you in a direct ancestor of this post. Do you
deny you said it?

Actually, yes because what I disputed (somewhat imperfectly) was
Clive's assertion that, "it is unreasonable to excuse bad bus drivers
by claiming that cyclists are as bad." I certainly made an
observation on the conduct of some cyclists, but this was never an
explicit or implicit "excuse" for bus drivers or anyone else. The "as
bad" bit isn't the issue, the supposed "excuse" bit is.

Monkey Hanger October 23rd 04 04:38 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

(Nick Cooper) wrote in
:

On 22 Oct 2004 16:56:37 GMT, Monkey Hanger wrote:

(Nick Cooper 625) wrote in
.com:

Again we come back to your weird "worst first" set of priorities....

Can you justify *not* setting your priorities this way?

So you would advocate, say, stopping funding on all types of medical
research bar that into cancer, and concentrate entirely on that?

Obviously not. Setting one priority higher than the others does not mean that
everything else is ignored completely.

--
Chris

Jon Senior October 23rd 04 06:14 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

In article , nick.cooper-
says...
So you would advocate, say, stopping funding on all types of medical
research bar that into cancer, and concentrate entirely on that?

How about banning research into new cosmetics and putting the money into
cancer research? I'm sure that I can find a suitable (small) selection
of people who have died as a result of not looking good, but I certainly
wouldn't consider it to be an equal priority.

It's a simple system really. When saving lives, divide effort according
to the number of lives that can be saved. You would presumably put equal
effort into all areas regardless of threat?

Jon

Ian Smith October 23rd 04 07:06 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On Sat, 23 Oct, Nick Cooper wrote
(or did he? maybe he'll shortly deny it):

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:13:11 GMT
However, I see just as many cyclists behaving like aresholes as
car/van/lorry drivers,

That appears to be by you in a direct ancestor of this post. Do you
deny you said it?

Actually, yes

You deny you said what I quoted? Who did, and why do you let them use
your identity to post things you don't mean?

because what I disputed (somewhat imperfectly) was
Clive's assertion that, "it is unreasonable to excuse bad bus drivers
by claiming that cyclists are as bad." I certainly made an
observation on the conduct of some cyclists, but this was never an
explicit or implicit "excuse" for bus drivers or anyone else. The "as
bad" bit isn't the issue, the supposed "excuse" bit is.

So what you're saying is that you did say that cyclists are as bad,
and somehow accidently in all the numerous times you denied saying
that cyclists were as bad, you were actually denying something
different, just electing not to say what you were denying, but rather
expecting us to work out what you actually intending denying (but
didn't).

That's alright then, why didn't I think of that.
Silly of me, assuming you meant what you said.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Clive George October 23rd 04 07:16 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

"Nick Cooper" wrote in
message ...
It's a pretty common misassumption.

Which says far more about the over-sensitivity of those making it.
Just because five people jump to the same false conclusion, it doesn't
mean it is no longer false.

Why didn't you even bother to change the thread title?

Perhaps because at that stage I didn't even remotely consider such an
irrationally over-defensive reaction. It was just a tangential
observation I would have been surprised had it resulted in more than
half a dozen follow-ups. In fact, it's been a bit like a doctor
tapping a patient's knee, only for the whole body to go into spasm.

Well now you know - whining about cyclist's behaviour on u.r.c will result
in robust rebuttals, because we're so used to people attempting to justify
motorist's bad behaviour by saying cyclists are as bad.

This will happen whether or not you mean to.

clive

Nick Cooper October 24th 04 12:40 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:16:47 +0100, "Clive George"
wrote:

"Nick Cooper" wrote in
message ...
It's a pretty common misassumption.

Which says far more about the over-sensitivity of those making it.
Just because five people jump to the same false conclusion, it doesn't
mean it is no longer false.

Why didn't you even bother to change the thread title?

Perhaps because at that stage I didn't even remotely consider such an
irrationally over-defensive reaction. It was just a tangential
observation I would have been surprised had it resulted in more than
half a dozen follow-ups. In fact, it's been a bit like a doctor
tapping a patient's knee, only for the whole body to go into spasm.

Well now you know - whining about cyclist's behaviour on u.r.c will result
in robust rebuttals, because we're so used to people attempting to justify
motorist's bad behaviour by saying cyclists are as bad.

This will happen whether or not you mean to.

You see, this is the problem. I made one throwaway comment/
observation and then had to elaborate or defend myself from a bunch of
over-sensitive and trigger-happy cyclists who leapt spectacularly to
the wrong conclusion about what I actually said, and you characterise
it as "whining"? Yeah, right....

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:13:11 GMT
However, I see just as many cyclists behaving like aresholes as
car/van/lorry drivers,

That appears to be by you in a direct ancestor of this post. Do you
deny you said it?

Actually, yes

You deny you said what I quoted?

No, I deny that it was an "excuse" for bad drivers, which is the way
various posters here have tried to misrepresent it.

because what I disputed (somewhat imperfectly) was
Clive's assertion that, "it is unreasonable to excuse bad bus drivers
by claiming that cyclists are as bad." I certainly made an
observation on the conduct of some cyclists, but this was never an
explicit or implicit "excuse" for bus drivers or anyone else. The "as
bad" bit isn't the issue, the supposed "excuse" bit is.

So what you're saying is that you did say that cyclists are as bad,
and somehow accidently in all the numerous times you denied saying
that cyclists were as bad, you were actually denying something
different, just electing not to say what you were denying, but rather
expecting us to work out what you actually intending denying (but
didn't).

I think you should go back and read what actually read what I said.
Guy has repeatedly made claims such as the following:

Please jsutify the use of illegal cyclist behaviour to excuse illegal
and potentially lethal bus driver behaviour.

So you feel it's perfectly acceptable to use the behaviour of crap
cyclists to excuse that of crap drivers, but not vice-versa?
Fascinating.

And yet you seek to prosecute cyclists for the tiny risk they pose,
without at the same time commenting on the equally commonplace and far
more dangerous lawbreaking of motorised road users.

Is the wrong answer. You started this subthread by advancing the bad
behaviour of cyclists as some kind of defence or excuse for the bad
behaviour of bus drivers.

Of course, this isn't the limits of Guy's fantasy accusations:

Read it again. These are deaths /on the footway/. You have asserted
that large numbers of cyclists ride on the footway for much of their
journey...

Which I never said anywhere!

I made ten posts in this thread before Clive claimed:

Fundamentally, a bad cyclist would have to try incredibly hard to be more
dangerous than a bad bus driver, so it is unreasonable to excuse bad bus
drivers by claiming that cyclists are as bad. Which is what the comment that
sparked all this nasty disagreement was doing.

My response was badly worded, as I have acknowledged that (twice).
However, the fact remains that I have _never_ anywhere used the
behaviour or bad cyclists as an "excuse" for bad drivers. That's what
I'm denying I ever said, and the fact that none of you lot can quote
such a statement proves my point.

Ian Smith October 24th 04 01:26 PM

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 12:40:23 GMT, Nick Cooper wrote:

You see, this is the problem. I made one throwaway comment/
observation and then had to elaborate or defend myself from a bunch of
over-sensitive and trigger-happy cyclists who leapt spectacularly to
the wrong conclusion about what I actually said,

ITYM "leapt to the conclusion I meant what I actually said". You
_did_ say cyclists were as bad as various motor vehicles drivers. I
provided the quote and teh message-id.

I agree you've subsequently claimed you meant more than you said, and
what you didn't say may or may not be reasonable. What's not
reasonable, however, is complaining that people aren't agreeing with
what you didn't say.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:13:11 GMT
However, I see just as many cyclists behaving like aresholes as
car/van/lorry drivers,

That appears to be by you in a direct ancestor of this post. Do you
deny you said it?

Actually, yes

You deny you said what I quoted?

I think you should go back and read what actually read what I said.

OK - "I'd ask you to identify this mythical statement that "cyclists
are as bad"". Yep, read that, parsed it, reached conclusions about
the only thing it can possibly mean, compared it with teh statement "I
see just as many cyclists behaving like aresholes as car/van/lorry
drivers", and I don't see any need to revise anything I said.

You _are_ moaning about people believing what you said.

Guy has repeatedly made claims such as the following:

I'm not talking about what Guy has said. He may or may not be talking
rubbish. He may or may not be lying about what he has previously
said. I fail to see how that has any relevance to teh fact that you
said "I see just as many cyclists behaving like aresholes as
car/van/lorry drivers", and also that you never said that.

Of course, this isn't the limits of Guy's fantasy accusations:

I don't care. I was considering what you said. You said "I see just
as many cyclists behaving like aresholes as car/van/lorry drivers" and
you also said that claims you said cylists are as bad was a "mythical
statement".

You seem to be claiming that if anyone else ever said something that's
not true, you should not be questioned about saying things that aren't
true. Two wrongs, apparently, make a right.

My response was badly worded, as I have acknowledged that (twice).
However, the fact remains that I have _never_ anywhere used the
behaviour or bad cyclists as an "excuse" for bad drivers.

Fine. I didn't claim you did. I claimed you said "I see just as many
cyclists behaving like aresholes as car/van/lorry drivers" after you
denied saying that cyclists were as bad as motorists. Specifically,
you asked "I'd ask you to identify this mythical statement that "cyclists
are as bad"". I did so. I thought you'd be pleased, since I did what
you asked.

That's what I'm denying I ever said,

That's what you're denying you said _now_. It's not what you denied
you said when you said "I'd ask you to identify this mythical
statement that "cyclists are as bad"", is it.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Nick Cooper October 24th 04 07:23 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 13:26:38 +0000 (UTC), Ian Smith
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 12:40:23 GMT, Nick Cooper wrote:

You see, this is the problem. I made one throwaway comment/
observation and then had to elaborate or defend myself from a bunch of
over-sensitive and trigger-happy cyclists who leapt spectacularly to
the wrong conclusion about what I actually said,

ITYM "leapt to the conclusion I meant what I actually said".

No. Let's consider what I actually said in my first post (10/10/04
16:41):

Alternatively, who can I complain to about all the ****s on bikes who
think that red lights - particularly those at pedestrian crossing -
somehow don't count for them? Especially annoying are the ones who
think they're entitled to shout abuse at the pedestrians they have to
swerve round them because they're already half way across the road.
Funny, that, isn't it? Pedestrians having the temerity to cross a
road when the lights are in their favour, just because to
knobend-in-lycra is too impatient to obey the red and wait a few
seconds.

No mention of drivers in there at all, but despite that Guy's
immediate response (10/10/04 18:40) was:

You can complain to uk.tosspot, who will greet you as a long-lost
brother. They think the fact that "yoofs" on bikes commit offences
justifies whatever behaviour they see fit to inflict on those unlucky
enough to have to share the road with them, and the disparity in
danger posed by cyclists and motorists is of no relevance.

From the outset he introduced the inference that somehow I was using
the behaviour of cyclists to excuse or "justif(y)" the behaviour of
motorists.

You _did_ say cyclists were as bad as various motor vehicles drivers.

Operative word "some" missing twice there.

I provided the quote and teh message-id.

I agree you've subsequently claimed you meant more than you said, and
what you didn't say may or may not be reasonable.

No, I've said I did _not_ mean more than I said, and that I did _not_
say what Guy and various others have repeatedly either implied or
directly suggested, i.e. that I was making "excuses" or offering
"justification" for the behaviour of bad drivers.

Nick Cooper October 24th 04 07:23 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 13:36:40 +0000 (UTC), Ian Smith
wrote:

[snip now totally boring repetition of something I said, ignoring my
own correction the day after I said it, as follows]

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 12:29:30 GMT,
(Nick Cooper) wrote:

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:31:14 +0100, "Clive George"
wrote:

"Nick Cooper" wrote in
message ...
[...]

The posting you are persisting in referring to was made just after
9am, when I was just leaving home. I did it in a hurry, I wasn't
clear, so sue me. My correction makes my position clear. If you
won't accept it, then I couldn't care less.

Ian Smith October 24th 04 09:17 PM

wrote:

Nick Cooper wrote:

You see, this is the problem. I made one throwaway comment/
observation and then had to elaborate or defend myself from a bunch of
over-sensitive and trigger-happy cyclists who leapt spectacularly to
the wrong conclusion about what I actually said,

ITYM "leapt to the conclusion I meant what I actually said".

No. Let's consider what I actually said in my first post

I was commenting on what you said on a particular occasion. An
occasion that you subsequently repeatedly denied occurred. That you
said something slightly differnet on other occasions doesn't alter the
fact that you said what you did in fact say, and what you subsequently
denied saying.

You _did_ say cyclists were as bad as various motor vehicles drivers.

Operative word "some" missing twice there.

"just as many" was what you actually said, I believe. The word 'some'
did not feature in teh statement I recal.

No, I've said I did _not_ mean more than I said, and that I did _not_
say what Guy and various others have repeatedly either implied or
directly suggested, i.e. that I was making "excuses" or offering
"justification" for the behaviour of bad drivers.

I haven't claimed you did. I said you did say something you
subsequently claimed not to have said. That this is fact is a matter
of public record. I'm not sure why you keep denying you said it -
even when furnished with the message-id and quote, you bizarrely
claimed you didn't say what you said.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Nick Cooper October 25th 04 07:40 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

wrote:

Nick Cooper wrote:

You see, this is the problem. I made one throwaway comment/
observation and then had to elaborate or defend myself from a bunch of
over-sensitive and trigger-happy cyclists who leapt spectacularly to
the wrong conclusion about what I actually said,

ITYM "leapt to the conclusion I meant what I actually said".

No. Let's consider what I actually said in my first post

I was commenting on what you said on a particular occasion. An
occasion that you subsequently repeatedly denied occurred. That you
said something slightly differnet on other occasions doesn't alter the
fact that you said what you did in fact say, and what you subsequently
denied saying.

Now, for you benefit, Ian, I've just gone back and re-read all 22 of
my previous posts in this thread. The one you are taking issue with
was the 11th (posted 22/10/04 09:07). The following day (23/10/04
13:29) I corrected myself, as I recognised that in my haste previously
I'd not been specific enough in my answer. I don't deny I made the
post on 22/10, just that it wasn't clear. I note that you are doing
you best not to acknowledge my clarification the following day, and in
fact the only sense I have "repeatedly denied" anything is on two
occasions, both drawing _your_ attention to my post of 23/10 that you
can't or won't acknowledge.

You _did_ say cyclists were as bad as various motor vehicles drivers.

Operative word "some" missing twice there.

"just as many" was what you actually said, I believe. The word 'some'
did not feature in teh statement I recal.

Is English your first language? I only ask because you seem to be
quibbling over two things that are not actually contradictory. The
evidence of my own eyes is that cyclists are no less inclined to bad
behaviour as drivers, but obviously neither represent the totality of
either group.

No, I've said I did _not_ mean more than I said, and that I did _not_
say what Guy and various others have repeatedly either implied or
directly suggested, i.e. that I was making "excuses" or offering
"justification" for the behaviour of bad drivers.

I haven't claimed you did. I said you did say something you
subsequently claimed not to have said. That this is fact is a matter
of public record. I'm not sure why you keep denying you said it -
even when furnished with the message-id and quote, you bizarrely
claimed you didn't say what you said.

I'm not quite sure why _you_ keep failing to even acknowledge my
subsequent correction/clarification. You seem very keen on fixating
on the thing I said that suits your agenda, but incapable of
recognising the other.

Tell me, Ian, can you now - hand-on-heart - steadfastly stick by every
single thing you have ever said on Usenet? Have you never given an
answer only to realise later that it wasn't complete, or you'd
overlooked some detail, and so it gave a completely different
impression to to the one you intended?

Clive Coleman October 25th 04 12:11 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

In message , David Hansen
prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

Could you explain this a bit more please? I can't find a reference to
PGP keys in the act you cite.
--
Clive.

Ian Smith October 25th 04 12:47 PM

wrote:

I was commenting on what you said on a particular occasion. An
occasion that you subsequently repeatedly denied occurred.

Tell me, Ian, can you now - hand-on-heart - steadfastly stick by every
single thing you have ever said on Usenet? Have you never given an
answer only to realise later that it wasn't complete, or you'd
overlooked some detail, and so it gave a completely different
impression to to the one you intended?

Of the occasions where I have said something that turns out not to be
true, both in real life and on usenet, I am not aware of a single one
where I have repeatedly denied saying what I actually did say. If you
believe otherwise, I am happy to re-examine any particular case you
have in mind.

You will note that I have not made any comment here on whether or not
cyslists are as bad as motorists - the factual accuracy or otherwise
of your statement is not what interests me in this case. My
observations are purely limited to your repeated denial that you said
what you did. As such, teh accuracy or otherwise of everything I have
ever said is not only irrelevant, but also not even a comparable or
reciprocal case.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Roland Perry October 25th 04 01:06 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

In message , at 13:11:43 on Mon,
25 Oct 2004, Clive Coleman remarked:
prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

Could you explain this a bit more please? I can't find a reference to
PGP keys in the act you cite.

There's a gagging clause in Pt3 of the Act, about acquisition of keys in
general (not especially PGP). It's intended to prevent crooks tipping
one another off. That part of the Act is years away from being put into
force, anyway.

Just zis Guy, you know? October 25th 04 03:41 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

You started this subthread by advancing the bad
behaviour of cyclists as some kind of defence or excuse for the bad
behaviour of bus drivers.

yawn No I didn't. Why should I? Stop doggedly sticking to you own
misassumption.

So your question which started this subthread was a non-sequitur was
it? Quite how raising the false idea that cyc;ists are uniquely
lawless works as a non-sequitur when it fails as a justification fro
dangerous behaviour by bus drivers escapes me just at the moment.

bus drivers [...] the comparison simply doesn't stand up.

Well, it's a comparison of your own making, so it's nothing to do with
me.

It is either a comparison of your own making, as per the start of this
subthread, or your first post here was a non-sequitur, as above.
Neither puts you in a particularly strong position.

I would make the observation, though, that a bus driver
disgregarding their training and behaving in a dangerous manner is no
less irrational than a cyclist disregarding all common sense and
nehaving in a dangerous manner.

Considerably more so, since the bus driver is personally at very
little risk. Which is probably why, despite widespread allegations of
complete lawlessness, the major danger posed by cyclists appears to be
to themselves, and even that apparently to a lesser extent than for
pedestrians, who are far more likely to be at fault in fatal and
serious injury crashes involving them.

Above you suggested - yet again -
that I portray cyclists as "/the/ major threat to life and limb" -
essentially that cyclists are _more_ of a threat. This is a total
fantasy of your own making.

Ah, so your singling them out was an /irrelevant/ non-sequitur. Well
that makes al the difference, doesn't it?

"So now we look at the fatality figures on pedestrian crossings, which
are about equal to those for footways (crossing the road is dangerous,
even when you have priority). Of these fatalities, how many are
caused by cyclists? And the answer is, once again, somewhere below a
quarter of 1% - and once again this is despite your assertion that
cyclists do this all the time, and drivers only rarely. So once
again, any rational measure of risk leaves tackling cyclists well down
on the "if we get around to it" pile."

1% is meaningless when you can't quantify the number of motor vehicles
compared to the number of bicycles.

Are we not constantly told that the number of bicycles crossing red
lights outweighs by many multiples the number of motor vehicles so
doing? So surely if anything that makes the 1% look even less
significant.

Either way, in numerical terms, your complaint sounds like a man
concerned about splinters while walking the plank.

The range of excuses used by drivers (all road users, in fact) for
their illegal behaviour is legendary. To suggest that this is unique
to cyclists is absurd.

The absurdity, again, is of your own making.

Really? So it was a typo, when you said cyclists; you meant vehicle
users?

One thing I will say is that as a pedestrian I have reached the
experience-based conclusion that cyclists are far less predictable
than drivers.

Not disputed. Strange, really, when you consider that the majority of
road riders are also drivers. Anyone would think that road users were
ignorant or contemptuous of the rules of the road.

If I am using a Pelican crossing - whether waiting for
the traffic signal to go read, or actually on the crossing - I know
that in the vast majority cases approaching motor vehicles will and do
slow and stop. Cyclists, however, are far less prone to do so. In
fact, it is a regular sight for me to see both types approaching a
crossing that his already on red for them, and while the driver will
stop, the cyclist will not, regardless of how crowded the crossing may
be with pedestrians at the time.

And yet the fatalities caused by those cyclists are negligible. Which
just shows that they must /seem/ much more dangerous than they /are/.

This amply
illustrates the extent to which some cyclists think the law does not
apply to them.

Exhibit A: SafeSpeed, a site which is entirely dedicated to the idea
that the law does not apply to drivers. I know of no site advocating
reduced enforcement for cyclists. Once again your targeting mechanism
seems to be a few degrees off.