London Banter

-   -   Bus driver complaint and OYBike (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2116-bus-driver-complaint-oybike.html)

Just zis Guy, you know? October 25th 04 03:43 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 12:40:23 GMT,
(Nick Cooper) wrote in
message :

I made one throwaway comment/observation

I think next time you should do exactly that: throw it away :-)

Or use a smiley, if it is posted with ironic intent.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

David Hansen October 25th 04 09:00 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 13:11:43 +0100 someone who may be Clive Coleman
wrote this:-

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

Could you explain this a bit more please? I can't find a reference to
PGP keys in the act you cite.

As Roland said, it is more general.

The Home Office came up with a way of oppressing people, called RIP
and pushed it through the Westminster rogues gallery. If some bod
decides to impose a gaging order then a victim of this "law" cannot
tell their lover, religious advisor or anyone else that their
communications are being read by some official. However, it is
possible to revoke the key and this is (supposedly) not telling
one's lover, religious advisor and so on what is happening.

Therefore it is elementary to state that one will always explain a
revoked key to anyone who asks, unless the UK government is
preventing one from doing so with RIP.

As Roland said, this particular bit of RIP has yet to be turned on.
If the Home Office have any sense it never will be and they will let
it curl up before it is exterminated by a law that regulates
investigatory powers (something RIP singularly fails to do).

I doubt if my pointing out the Home Office's stupidity has had any
influence on them not turning on this part of RIP, which they were
very keen on at the time. However, it cannot have done any harm.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

Clive Coleman October 26th 04 02:09 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

In message , Ian Smith
writes
On Sun, Nick Cooper wrote:
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 13:26:38 +0000 (UTC), Ian Smith
wrote:

Nick Cooper wrote:

You see, this is the problem. I made one throwaway comment/
observation and then had to elaborate or defend myself from a bunch of
over-sensitive and trigger-happy cyclists who leapt spectacularly to
the wrong conclusion about what I actually said,

ITYM "leapt to the conclusion I meant what I actually said".

No. Let's consider what I actually said in my first post

I was commenting on what you said on a particular occasion. An
occasion that you subsequently repeatedly denied occurred. That you
said something slightly differnet on other occasions doesn't alter the
fact that you said what you did in fact say, and what you subsequently
denied saying.

You _did_ say cyclists were as bad as various motor vehicles drivers.

Operative word "some" missing twice there.

"just as many" was what you actually said, I believe. The word 'some'
did not feature in teh statement I recal.

No, I've said I did _not_ mean more than I said, and that I did _not_
say what Guy and various others have repeatedly either implied or
directly suggested, i.e. that I was making "excuses" or offering
"justification" for the behaviour of bad drivers.

I haven't claimed you did. I said you did say something you
subsequently claimed not to have said. That this is fact is a matter
of public record. I'm not sure why you keep denying you said it -
even when furnished with the message-id and quote, you bizarrely
claimed you didn't say what you said.

regards, Ian SMith

So do I perceive someone with no life other than a computer?
--
Clive.

Clive Coleman October 26th 04 02:30 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

In message , "Just zis Guy,
you know?" writes

I would make the observation, though, that a bus driver
disgregarding their training and behaving in a dangerous manner is no
less irrational than a cyclist disregarding all common sense and
nehaving in a dangerous manner.

O.K. This argument has gone far enough, and to be honest it's all
about point scoring and no facts are allowed to intervene. If a
cyclist has to brake hard at any obstruction be it traffic lights, road
works what ever he is prepared and it's his own fault if he's not. A
bus driver on the other hand has to take into account maybe up to 70
other persons who are not expecting sudden braking, especially whilst on
their feet walking for the door. If you are a cyclist with half a
brain then you would know why I would hit you rather that injure my load
who may be children or O.A.P.s. Give it a seconds thought, or more
accurately take a PCV test then come back and argue your case if you
think you still have one.
--
Clive.

Roland Perry October 26th 04 05:50 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

In message , at 22:00:38 on
Mon, 25 Oct 2004, David Hansen
remarked:
wrote this:-

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

Could you explain this a bit more please? I can't find a reference to
PGP keys in the act you cite.

As Roland said, it is more general.

The Home Office came up with a way of oppressing people, called RIP
and pushed it through the Westminster rogues gallery. If some bod
decides to impose a gaging order then a victim of this "law" cannot
tell their lover, religious advisor or anyone else that their
communications are being read by some official.

I fear you are conflating the powers to intercept communications, and
that to demand a key if they turn out to be encrypted.

In the former case, if your communications are being read, you won't
normally know, but if you find out there's no ban on telling the world.

However, if (when put in force) you are required to reveal a key that
might allow encryption of intercepted (or seized) keys, you can be
prosecuted for tipping off your friends.

However, it is possible to revoke the key and this is (supposedly) not
telling one's lover, religious advisor and so on what is happening.

This is a long-proposed work around, but until the Code of Practice for
that part of the Act appears, it's a little rash to assume it will work
as advertised.

Roland Perry October 26th 04 06:54 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

In message , at
06:50:02 on Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Roland Perry
remarked:
However, if (when put in force) you are required to reveal a key that
might allow encryption of intercepted (or seized) keys,

cough decryption of intercepted (or seized) material

you can be prosecuted for tipping off your friends.

Colin Blackburn October 26th 04 08:07 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 03:30:23 +0100, Clive Coleman
wrote:

A bus driver on the other hand has to take into account maybe up to 70
other persons who are not expecting sudden braking, especially whilst on
their feet walking for the door. If you are a cyclist with half a
brain then you would know why I would hit you rather that injure my load
who may be children or O.A.P.s.

Bus driver is utilitarianist shock!

Colin

Nick Cooper October 26th 04 08:15 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 12:47:51 +0000 (UTC), Ian Smith
wrote:

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 07:40:40 GMT, Nick Cooper wrote:
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 21:17:33 +0000 (UTC), Ian Smith
wrote:

I was commenting on what you said on a particular occasion. An
occasion that you subsequently repeatedly denied occurred.

Tell me, Ian, can you now - hand-on-heart - steadfastly stick by every
single thing you have ever said on Usenet? Have you never given an
answer only to realise later that it wasn't complete, or you'd
overlooked some detail, and so it gave a completely different
impression to to the one you intended?

Of the occasions where I have said something that turns out not to be
true, both in real life and on usenet, I am not aware of a single one
where I have repeatedly denied saying what I actually did say. If you
believe otherwise, I am happy to re-examine any particular case you
have in mind.

You will note that I have not made any comment here on whether or not
cyslists are as bad as motorists - the factual accuracy or otherwise
of your statement is not what interests me in this case. My
observations are purely limited to your repeated denial that you said
what you did. As such, teh accuracy or otherwise of everything I have
ever said is not only irrelevant, but also not even a comparable or
reciprocal case.

You are just talking total crap. I made _one_ denial in error of
something I'd said previously, and corrected myself the following day.
I could ask you to specifically identify these supposed "repeated
denials" you're referring to, but it's clear from the fact that you
haven't already that you either can't or won't. In fact, the only
thing I have "repeatedly denied" is that anything I have said about
bad cyclists was as an "excuse" for the behaviour of bad motorists
(which, aof course, was the totality of the statement I was
insufficiently clear in denying on 22/10). It's fairly clear that
you're only prepared to believe what you want to believe, so as far as
I'm concerned you can **** off..
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk

Nick Cooper October 26th 04 08:21 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:41:32 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

You started this subthread by advancing the bad
behaviour of cyclists as some kind of defence or excuse for the bad
behaviour of bus drivers.

yawn No I didn't. Why should I? Stop doggedly sticking to you own
misassumption.

So your question which started this subthread was a non-sequitur was
it? Quite how raising the false idea that cyc;ists are uniquely
lawless works as a non-sequitur when it fails as a justification fro
dangerous behaviour by bus drivers escapes me just at the moment.

What I actually said:

Alternatively, who can I complain to about all the ****s on bikes who
think that red lights - particularly those at pedestrian crossing -
somehow don't count for them? Especially annoying are the ones who
think they're entitled to shout abuse at the pedestrians they have to
swerve round them because they're already half way across the road.
Funny, that, isn't it? Pedestrians having the temerity to cross a
road when the lights are in their favour, just because to
knobend-in-lycra is too impatient to obey the red and wait a few
seconds.

Now, where is, "the false idea that cyc;ists are uniquely lawless," or
any, "justification fro dangerous behaviour by bus drivers"?

Face it Guy, from the outset you leapt to conclusions that aren't
supported by what I actually wrote. If you want to keep ranting on
about your fantasies, then you can do it on your own.

[remainder of overly-defensive and prejudiced drivel snipped]

Arthur Clune October 26th 04 09:00 AM

[OT] RIPA was Bus driver complaint and OYBike

In uk.rec.cycling David Hansen wrote:

: The Home Office came up with a way of oppressing people, called RIP
: and pushed it through the Westminster rogues gallery.

Actually with my professional hat on for a bit, I like large chunks
of RIPA. The stuff about having to tell your users that all your IT staff
sit around all day drinking tea and reading their email (to pharaphrase :)
is good and sensible.

The trouble with RIPA is that the bad stuff (the gagging orders etc) is
very, very bad.

Arthur

"Blogs are neither necessary nor sufficient for evil to triumph.
They're just what we call an enabling technology" - Danny O'Brien

Just zis Guy, you know? October 26th 04 11:02 AM

wrote in message
:

O.K. This argument has gone far enough, and to be honest it's all
about point scoring and no facts are allowed to intervene.

You think? I don't care about point scoring, actually, but I do care
about Daily Mail-style scapegoating of cyclists, because that actually
affects my safety as I travel. YMMV.

If a
cyclist has to brake hard at any obstruction be it traffic lights, road
works what ever he is prepared and it's his own fault if he's not.

Interestingly, a cyclist was held to be at fault when he hit a
pedestrian who stepped out into the road into his path having "looked"
and seen no "traffic". I invite you to consider the likelihood of a
driver being successfully prosecuted for driving without due care (the
equivalent offence) under the same circumstances.

bus driver on the other hand has to take into account maybe up to 70
other persons who are not expecting sudden braking, especially whilst on
their feet walking for the door. If you are a cyclist with half a
brain then you would know why I would hit you rather that injure my load
who may be children or O.A.P.s. Give it a seconds thought, or more
accurately take a PCV test then come back and argue your case if you
think you still have one.

This argument is about the inherent absurdity of raising cyclist
behaviour as an excuse for the behaviour of other road users.

I rarely have a problem with buses, because I ride in a way which
takes account of their special circumstances. I have seen a driver
run into the back of a bus which did the completely unpredictable
(i.e. stopping at a a bus stop), so I suppose I can see where you are
coming from :-)

Just zis Guy, you know? October 26th 04 11:04 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 08:21:23 GMT,
(Nick Cooper) wrote in
message :

What I actually said:

Alternatively, who can I complain to about all the ****s on bikes who
think that red lights - particularly those at pedestrian crossing -
somehow don't count for them? Especially annoying are the ones who
think they're entitled to shout abuse at the pedestrians they have to
swerve round them because they're already half way across the road.
Funny, that, isn't it? Pedestrians having the temerity to cross a
road when the lights are in their favour, just because to
knobend-in-lycra is too impatient to obey the red and wait a few
seconds.

Now, where is, "the false idea that cyc;ists are uniquely lawless," or
any, "justification fro dangerous behaviour by bus drivers"?

If you look up there a bit, in the text you've quoted, you are
apparently saying that the lawless behaviour of cyclists is a valid
response to a query regarding the correct destination of a complaint
about bus driver behaviour.

[remainder of overly-defensive and prejudiced drivel snipped]

Translation: "Laa laa I'm not listening" (c) Bill Zaumen.

Richard October 26th 04 11:18 AM

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
Interestingly, a cyclist was held to be at fault when he hit a
pedestrian who stepped out into the road into his path having "looked"
and seen no "traffic".

Do you have a reference for this, please?

Mrs Redboots October 26th 04 11:44 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote to uk.transport.london on Tue, 26 Oct
2004:

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 08:21:23 GMT,
(Nick Cooper) wrote in
message :

What I actually said:

[...]

Sorry, but I have to intervene here, as this is ********! Surely Nick
was just introducing a red herring into the original thread, something
we all do from time to time. Or, perhaps "red herring" is a little
harsh - a thought prompted by the original subject of the thread, but
only related to it insofar as it involved another type of occasionally
irritating/dangerous road user.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Roland Perry October 26th 04 11:51 AM

[OT] RIPA was Bus driver complaint and OYBike

In message , at 09:00:08 on Tue, 26 Oct
2004, Arthur Clune remarked:
The trouble with RIPA is that the bad stuff (the gagging orders etc) is
very, very bad.

So you like crooks being able to tip off their comrades? Very good.

Richard October 26th 04 11:59 AM

Roland Perry wrote:
The trouble with RIPA is that the bad stuff (the gagging orders etc) is
very, very bad.

So you like crooks being able to tip off their comrades? Very good.

If they're a crook, they're going to tip off their comrades regardless.

Roland Perry October 26th 04 12:06 PM

[OT] RIPA was Bus driver complaint and OYBike

In message , at 12:59:44 on Tue, 26 Oct
2004, Richard remarked:
So you like crooks being able to tip off their comrades? Very good.

If they're a crook, they're going to tip off their comrades regardless.

So cancel the law banning armed robbery, as people do it anyway.

Arthur Clune October 26th 04 12:46 PM

In uk.rec.cycling Roland Perry wrote:

: So you like crooks being able to tip off their comrades? Very good.

And you think they won't anyway?

The trouble will all this sort of stuff is that it's always a trade off
between the risks to the innocent and being able to convict the guilty.
I think RIPA (and a lot of more recent developments) draw the line in
the wrong place.

Why defend "the free world" if it's not free anymore?

Richard October 26th 04 12:47 PM

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:59:44 on Tue, 26 Oct
2004, Richard remarked:

So you like crooks being able to tip off their comrades? Very good.

If they're a crook, they're going to tip off their comrades regardless.

So cancel the law banning armed robbery, as people do it anyway.

Oh, look, apples and oranges and straw men. "If you're doing nothing
wrong..." can't be far off.

(Parts of) RIPA are overly restrictive. The effect on criminals will
be minimal; the effect on the general public will be widespread repression.

A more accurate statement/analogy would be,

"As people committ armed robbery despite there being a law against it,
we're going to ban everyone from entering post offices and banks."

p.s. laws don't get cancelled, they get repealed.

David Hansen October 26th 04 12:48 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 06:50:02 +0100 someone who may be Roland Perry
wrote this:-

The Home Office came up with a way of oppressing people, called RIP
and pushed it through the Westminster rogues gallery. If some bod
decides to impose a gaging order then a victim of this "law" cannot
tell their lover, religious advisor or anyone else that their
communications are being read by some official.

I fear you are conflating the powers to intercept communications, and
that to demand a key if they turn out to be encrypted.

Not in this case:-)

My wording of "communications are being read by some official" is
not precise, but referred to some official reading encrypted
communications, by whatever means.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

Just zis Guy, you know? October 26th 04 01:01 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:18:45 +0100, Richard
wrote in message
:

Interestingly, a cyclist was held to be at fault when he hit a
pedestrian who stepped out into the road into his path having "looked"
and seen no "traffic".

Do you have a reference for this, please?

Howard does: http://www.motorcarnage.org.uk/motor...e/justice.html
and look for Richard Brady

Just zis Guy, you know? October 26th 04 01:06 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:44:02 +0100, Mrs Redboots
wrote in message
:

Surely Nick
was just introducing a red herring into the original thread, something
we all do from time to time.

Arguably so, but given that it was (a) a tired restatement of
well-rehearsed arguments and (b) cross-posted to the cycling
newsgroup, it was unlikely ever to be seen as such. We have become
very tired on urc of hearing these arguments used to excuse all
dangerous behaviour by other road users, call for enforcement against
cyclists in preference to other road users who by any measure pose
much more danger, to call for cyclists to be subjected to absurd and
draconian regulation, or even simply to undermine the right of
cyclists to use the road at all.

So maybe it was a reflex brain fart on the part of the PP, but given
his subsequent defence of his posting I am inclined to think not.

Roland Perry October 26th 04 01:19 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

In message , at 13:48:39 on
Tue, 26 Oct 2004, David Hansen
remarked:
wrote this:-

The Home Office came up with a way of oppressing people, called RIP
and pushed it through the Westminster rogues gallery. If some bod
decides to impose a gaging order then a victim of this "law" cannot
tell their lover, religious advisor or anyone else that their
communications are being read by some official.

I fear you are conflating the powers to intercept communications, and
that to demand a key if they turn out to be encrypted.

Not in this case:-)

My wording of "communications are being read by some official" is
not precise, but referred to some official reading encrypted
communications, by whatever means.

Close, but just because your key has been acquired doesn't mean it's
being used to read your communications. Unless you only use the key for
communications; and even then it might just one or two that access is
required to, not all of them; and even then, they may have been acquired
by a search warrant and not interception.

Roland Perry October 26th 04 01:21 PM

[OT] RIPA was Bus driver complaint and OYBike

In message , at 13:47:37 on Tue, 26 Oct
2004, Richard remarked:
(Parts of) RIPA are overly restrictive. The effect on criminals will
be minimal; the effect on the general public will be widespread
repression.

I don't think most of the General Public's communications (even if
encrypted) are of enough interest that the recipients will have the GAK
powers applied.

Roland Perry October 26th 04 01:24 PM

[OT] RIPA was Bus driver complaint and OYBike

In message , at 12:46:29 on Tue, 26 Oct
2004, Arthur Clune remarked:
: So you like crooks being able to tip off their comrades? Very good.

And you think they won't anyway?

Just like they'll rob banks anyway (haven't we been round this block
once before?)

The trouble will all this sort of stuff is that it's always a trade off
between the risks to the innocent and being able to convict the guilty.
I think RIPA (and a lot of more recent developments) draw the line in
the wrong place.

RIPA draws the line in a place decided by other legislation. The crime
has to be serious enough. If you are paranoid enough to think that a
future government will make insert your pet activity here illegal, and
subject to GAK, then that new law could just as easily have the GAK
within it.

Mark Thompson October 26th 04 01:49 PM

[OT] RIPA was Bus driver complaint and OYBike

(Parts of) RIPA are overly restrictive. The effect on criminals will
be minimal; the effect on the general public will be widespread
repression.

I don't think most of the General Public's communications (even if
encrypted) are of enough interest that the recipients will have the GAK
powers applied.

headbutts brick wall You've somewhat missed the point. Although Roland
is being slightly hysterical, the effect of parts of RIPA _could_ be
widespread repression, which is why we should deny that opportunity to this
future governments. Slippery slope and thin end of the wedge may be
cliches, but they are almost always valid.

Mark Thompson October 26th 04 02:37 PM

[OT] RIPA was Bus driver complaint and OYBike

then that new law could just as easily have the GAK
within it.

Nope.

Roland Perry October 26th 04 03:46 PM

[OT] RIPA was Bus driver complaint and OYBike

In message , at
13:49:34 on Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Mark Thompson
remarked:
(Parts of) RIPA are overly restrictive. The effect on criminals will
be minimal; the effect on the general public will be widespread
repression.

I don't think most of the General Public's communications (even if
encrypted) are of enough interest that the recipients will have the GAK
powers applied.

headbutts brick wall You've somewhat missed the point. Although Roland
is being slightly hysterical, the effect of parts of RIPA _could_ be
widespread repression, which is why we should deny that opportunity to this
future governments. Slippery slope and thin end of the wedge may be
cliches, but they are almost always valid.

Any law can be misused - why pick on RIPA especially? And while the GAK
part hasn't even got a draft Code of Practice, speculation is moot.

Roland Perry October 26th 04 03:47 PM

[OT] RIPA was Bus driver complaint and OYBike

In message , at
14:37:45 on Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Mark Thompson
remarked:
then that new law could just as easily have the GAK
within it.

Nope.

err, yes it could.

See the Social Security Fraud Act, which has a cut.n.paste acquisition
of comms data section, post-RIPA.

Mark Thompson October 26th 04 04:12 PM

[OT] RIPA was Bus driver complaint and OYBike

then that new law could just as easily have the GAK
within it.

Nope.

err, yes it could.

By nope I mean it's harder to get dodgy legislation through the Lords.
They tend to amend out many of the more silly bits.

Getting a law through that refers to a bit of existing legislation is going
to be easier than introducing the dodgy bit of legislation with every law
that you want covered by it.

Mark Thompson October 26th 04 04:14 PM

[OT] RIPA was Bus driver complaint and OYBike

Any law can be misused - why pick on RIPA especially? And while the
GAK part hasn't even got a draft Code of Practice, speculation is
moot.

Because fining pavement cyclists just isn't in the same league. Also, does
a code of practice stop it being misused, or merely enable people to feel
justifiably upset when it's disregarded in their case?

Monkey Hanger October 26th 04 05:30 PM

[OT] RIPA was Bus driver complaint and OYBike

Mark Thompson wrote in
. 1.4:

then that new law could just as easily have the GAK
within it.

Nope.

err, yes it could.

By nope I mean it's harder to get dodgy legislation through the Lords.
They tend to amend out many of the more silly bits.

Getting a law through that refers to a bit of existing legislation is
going to be easier than introducing the dodgy bit of legislation with
every law that you want covered by it.

Just how long will the Lords exist?

--
Chris

Roland Perry October 26th 04 05:35 PM

[OT] RIPA was Bus driver complaint and OYBike

In message , at
16:14:54 on Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Mark Thompson
remarked:
Any law can be misused - why pick on RIPA especially? And while the
GAK part hasn't even got a draft Code of Practice, speculation is
moot.

Because fining pavement cyclists just isn't in the same league. Also, does
a code of practice stop it being misused, or merely enable people to feel
justifiably upset when it's disregarded in their case?

As with all things, the existence of a rule gives society a benchmark to
judge transgressors against.

Roland Perry October 26th 04 05:37 PM

[OT] RIPA was Bus driver complaint and OYBike

In message , at
16:12:19 on Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Mark Thompson
remarked:
By nope I mean it's harder to get dodgy legislation through the Lords.
They tend to amend out many of the more silly bits.

Oh, sorry, I thought we were discussing some future government that was
going to ride roughshod over established principles.

Getting a law through that refers to a bit of existing legislation is going
to be easier than introducing the dodgy bit of legislation with every law
that you want covered by it.

New laws don't refer to RIPA, RIPA refers to them (by only being active
when a crime has been specified as being serious enough).

Tom Anderson October 26th 04 05:57 PM

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Clive Coleman wrote:

In message , "Just zis Guy,
you know?" writes

I would make the observation, though, that a bus driver disgregarding
their training and behaving in a dangerous manner is no less
irrational than a cyclist disregarding all common sense and nehaving
in a dangerous manner.

O.K. This argument has gone far enough, and to be honest it's all about
point scoring and no facts are allowed to intervene.

Yay for usenet!

If a cyclist has to brake hard at any obstruction be it traffic lights,
road works what ever he is prepared and it's his own fault if he's not.
A bus driver on the other hand has to take into account maybe up to 70
other persons who are not expecting sudden braking,

Is it common to be carrying 70 people who've never been on a bus before?

Also, i'm not sure that being on a bus when it brakes hard and being on a
bike when it is hit by a bus are the same magnitude of injury - it may
well be that the latter is 70 times worse than the former (especially
given that 90% of the time, you'll be sitting down). I'm not saying it's
never right to not brake, but it's not as clear cut as you make out.

Also, i haven't been following this thread, but from this one post, you
really sound like a dangerous lunatic who advocates running over cyclists.
Just thought i'd let you know.

tom

--
Memes don't exist. Tell your friends.

Clive Coleman October 27th 04 12:26 AM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

In message ,
Tom Anderson writes

Also, i'm not sure that being on a bus when it brakes hard and being on
a bike when it is hit by a bus are the same magnitude of injury - it
may well be that the latter is 70 times worse than the former
(especially given that 90% of the time, you'll be sitting down). I'm
not saying it's never right to not brake, but it's not as clear cut as
you make out.

Also, i haven't been following this thread, but from this one post, you
really sound like a dangerous lunatic who advocates running over
cyclists. Just thought i'd let you know.

tom

You've never driven a bus then, that is obvious, and if you think I'm a
lunatic get me off the roads before other cyclists think they're Gods
gift to London.
--
Clive.

Nick Cooper October 27th 04 07:25 AM

What I actually said:

[...]

Yeah, pretty much. Guy's warped logic that somehow me denying what he
suggested - and what I clearly didn't say - "proved" his false
conclusion probably says far more about him than anyone else....

Just zis Guy, you know? October 27th 04 12:01 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 07:25:50 GMT,
(Nick Cooper) wrote:

Yeah, pretty much. Guy's warped logic that somehow me denying what he
suggested - and what I clearly didn't say - "proved" his false
conclusion probably says far more about him than anyone else....

Can you see out of your mouth with your head up there?

Just curious.

David Hansen October 27th 04 02:02 PM

[OT] RIPA was Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On 26 Oct 2004 16:14:54 GMT someone who may be Mark Thompson
wrote this:-

Also, does a code of practice stop it being misused,

Of course not. Especially when "supervision" will consist of a Mr
Hutton who says, "well done chaps, keep up the good work", no matter
what has happened.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

Tom Anderson October 27th 04 02:12 PM

Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Clive Coleman wrote:

In message ,
Tom Anderson writes

Also, i'm not sure that being on a bus when it brakes hard and being on
a bike when it is hit by a bus are the same magnitude of injury - it
may well be that the latter is 70 times worse than the former
(especially given that 90% of the time, you'll be sitting down). I'm
not saying it's never right to not brake, but it's not as clear cut as
you make out.

Also, i haven't been following this thread, but from this one post, you
really sound like a dangerous lunatic who advocates running over
cyclists. Just thought i'd let you know.

You've never driven a bus then, that is obvious,

You're a perceptive chap.

and if you think I'm a lunatic get me off the roads before other
cyclists think they're Gods gift to London.

I didn't say i thought you were a lunatic, just that your post made it
sound like it - i assume you're just a bit worked up by the argument. You
need to relax - maybe go for a swim, or have a drink, or, hey, how about a
nice bike ride?

;)

tom

--
I do not think we will have to wait for very long.