Old November 2nd 04, 08:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 2005 fares leaflet

"Peter Smyth" wrote in message

Sorry to answer my own post - but page 23 or the current Fares guide

says
LT cards are valid "West Ruislip/South Ruislip to Marylebone (but not
intermediate stations)".

Looking at this further it seems even TfL are not sure one way or the

other.
According to
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...lability.shtml you
can travel from Marylebone to West Ruislip using Oyster Prepay but not

using
paper singles or LT cards.

No, according to page 23 of the current Fares guide, LT cards are valid
between West Rusilip and South Ruislip only. Oyster Pre-pay is valid West
Ruislip/South Ruislip to Marylebone (but not intermediate stations).

The paragraph that splits the two different ticketing availability sections
isn't that easy to see unless you're looking close I must admit!

Old November 2nd 04, 09:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2004-11-02 21:29:55 +0000, "Robin Mayes"
said:

[...]

Ok, re-read (several times) and I finally saw that the Marylebone-West
Ruislip bit applies for pre-pay, not LT - although way before Oyster
came out I'm convinced that it was valid - and so has every ticket
person and inspector I've ever met.

Answer me this then (if you will). If I buy a single Oyster ticket zone
1-6 can I travel within zone 1 (lets say from Oxford Circus) to
Marylebone, change onto the Chiltern line and get off at West Ruislip?
Or, do (as I suspect) I need to get a zone 1-zone 1 ticket, then a zone
1-6 Chiltern ticket or stay totally within the Underground system?
Sorry to sound thick - but just checking!

Thanks all for your input. I think this does show how overly
complicated the ticket system has got - and what a bunch of helpful lot
we have on here!

It also now seems that buying singles each way on a daily basis (aka
Oyster pre-pay) is cheaper than buying a period travelcard. I'd always
thought you got benefit from getting an annual/period ticket.

Adam.

Old November 2nd 04, 09:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2004-11-02 17:24:48 +0000, "Peter Smyth"
said:

On 2004-11-01 23:36:32 +0000, Matthew said:

A pdf of the 2005 fares changes is now at:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/downloads/...es-leaflet.pdf

Some notable changes not previously commented on are the abolition of
the Weekend Travelcard and the One Day LT card.
Photocards are no longer need with any oyster card.

Oh great! I see my daily fare will increase from £8.20 to £12 due to
the abolition of the LT card

Any suggestions for someone who needs to travel from zone 6 to 1 in
on the Underground and then zone 1 to Maralybone and back on the
Chiltern line to West Ruislip. This journey 4 days a week.

7 Day Travelcard = £39.50 = £9.88 a day
Daily Travelcard = £12 a day
Single = £3.80 x 2 = £7.60 a day(*)
Single (pre-pay) = £3.50 x 2 = £7 a day(*)
LT Card (now) = £8.20 per day.

(*) I usually get the Chiltern line from Maralybone to West Ruislip
home as I have a client at Maralybone. The LT card was accepted on
this line, but I assume an Underground Single won't be???

Actually LT cards are not accepted from Marylebone to West Ruislip,
only from Marylebone to Amersham and from South Ruislip to West Ruislip.

Peter Smyth

Really? I've been using one for years and never been told its not valid
- including being checked loads of times by inspectors. Perhaps its all
so confusing now that even they don't know what is and isn't allowed!

I think my options are either to get a 7 day travelcard or to get a
Pre-pay single in, single to Marylebone (ok, never said I could spell -
but glad you knew where I was talking about!) and then a single to West
Ruislip. The first two I can use Oyster pre-pay, the latter I'll have to
buy card/cash each day I assume.

Prepay Z6-1: £3.50
Prepay Z1: £1.70
NR single: £3.40
Total: £8.60

Not too much more than the LT card. Your calculations about single
prices don't work if you are visiting a client near Marylebone because
your journey home wouldn't be £3.50 unless you could visit the client
within about 20 mins between exiting the tube and entering Chiltern (in
the hypothetical situation that Prepay were valid between Marylebone &
West Ruislip).

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old November 3rd 04, 12:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Answer me this then (if you will). If I buy a single Oyster ticket zone
1-6 can I travel within zone 1 (lets say from Oxford Circus) to
Marylebone, change onto the Chiltern line and get off at West Ruislip?
Or, do (as I suspect) I need to get a zone 1-zone 1 ticket, then a zone
1-6 Chiltern ticket or stay totally within the Underground system?
Sorry to sound thick - but just checking!

The interchange at Marylebone will continue your prepay journey.

Old November 3rd 04, 04:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Adam" wrote in message

Ok, re-read (several times) and I finally saw that the Marylebone-West
Ruislip bit applies for pre-pay, not LT - although way before Oyster
came out I'm convinced that it was valid - and so has every ticket
person and inspector I've ever met.

You could well be right, I'll try and dig up some old inter-availability
information tomorrow.

Answer me this then (if you will). If I buy a single Oyster ticket zone
1-6 can I travel within zone 1 (lets say from Oxford Circus) to
Marylebone, change onto the Chiltern line and get off at West Ruislip?

Certain interchanges that are achievable by "out of station interchange" -
that is to say, going through one set of ticket gates, a short (usually)
walk and then entering another station / entrance are allowed - The gates
and Oystercards are programmed for this without you being double charged. I
believe this may have been one of the issues that has caused capping to have
taken so long to implement.

Thanks all for your input. I think this does show how overly
complicated the ticket system has got - and what a bunch of helpful lot
we have on here!

The fares system has become extremely complicated because of the different
ticketing options available, mainly because Oystercard technology has been
implemented in stages.

It also now seems that buying singles each way on a daily basis (aka
Oyster pre-pay) is cheaper than buying a period travelcard. I'd always
thought you got benefit from getting an annual/period ticket.

Monthlies and longer always used to work out cheaper but marketing and
planning appear to have moved away from this rule as more ticketing types
have been introduced. Once capping is operational these anomalies should be
resolved.

Old November 3rd 04, 05:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 22:34:31 GMT, Adam wrote:

Ok, re-read (several times) and I finally saw that the Marylebone-West
Ruislip bit applies for pre-pay, not LT - although way before Oyster
came out I'm convinced that it was valid - and so has every ticket
person and inspector I've ever met.

Marylebone to South / West Ruislip has never been interavailable on LU
single fares or on the LT Card. I think you have been very lucky that
the inspectors have not twigged the difference. This is partly explained
by the fact that such tickets are available on the Chiltern Line
Aylesbury / Amersham via Harrow service from Marylebone.

Answer me this then (if you will). If I buy a single Oyster ticket zone
1-6 can I travel within zone 1 (lets say from Oxford Circus) to
Marylebone, change onto the Chiltern line and get off at West Ruislip?
Or, do (as I suspect) I need to get a zone 1-zone 1 ticket, then a zone
1-6 Chiltern ticket or stay totally within the Underground system?
Sorry to sound thick - but just checking!

Perfectly valid question because TfL is not brilliant in adding in the
reassuring explanation about where you can change between services and
not suffer a fares penalty. Provided you change at Marylebone between
Tube and Chiltern you will be fine as each side of the station is a
recognised interchange for both paper singles / returns and pre-pay..

I have no idea whether the gates at Baker Street are programmed to
permit interchange with Marylebone for Pre-Pay. People using paper
single tickets have to go via the manual gates as the gates would
swallow your ticket if you attempt to exit. The gates were originally
programmed to give tickets back when first installed but there was a
massive litter problem as so few people actually wished to carry on to
Marylebone.

--
Paul C