Old November 30th 04, 02:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Late-night Tube plan announced

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Richard J. wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Dave Arquati wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article , (Dave
Arquati) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

In article ,
(Dave
Arquati) wrote:

You have routes like the N74 (Roehampton - Putney), N28
(Wandsworth - Camden Town) and N31 (Clapham Junction - Kilburn)
which cross the centre without terminating.

How does the N74 cross the centre between Roehampton and Putney
then?

Oops. I was trying to correct Putney to Roehampton, but
accidentally corrected Baker Street to Roehampton. It's meant to be
Baker Street to Roehampton.

Thanks. I'm not sure I even count Roehampton to Baker Street as
crossing the centre either as it happens.

Depends on your definition of the centre! It enters the congestion
charging zone and it spends a significant portion of its journey in
Zone 1.

Doesn't go anywhere central, though, does it? Hyde Park Corner? Park
Lane? Marble Arch? All distinctly west.

Considering that Hyde Park Corner was at one time the point from which
distances from London were measured (before being replaced for that task
by Charing Cross), it would seem to eminently central.

Key phrases here are "was at one time", "were measured", and "before being
replaced", all of which pertain to past states of affairs, rather than
those holding at the present .

The centre of London is like the magnetic north pole - it drifts. In
particular, it seems to drift from palace to palace - from the Tower, to
Buck House (the era when Hyde Park Corner was central, presumably), to
Westminster, and, most recently, the Palace Theatre.

tom

--
It's almost over now.

Old December 1st 04, 07:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"UM Pston" wrote in message
om...
Paul Weaver wrote in message

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 21:18:58 +0000, umpston wrote:
Yes you are. There is no need for an hour less of useful workers - in
todays "can do" society companies can just change their shifts to

match the
tubes. Or helpfully advise their employees to get bikes. Anybody

else has
no business to be up at such unearthly hours on the weekend.

A another 9-5 shiftist.

No. I work when I feel like it, whether it be 10-6 or 7-3. I'd
recommend the same for anybody.

Still the same, 8 hours 5 days single minded biggotry

--
Everything above is the personal opinion of the author, and nothing to do
with where he works and all that lovely disclaimery stuff.

Old December 1st 04, 09:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

So we disadvantage the early morning traveller getting to work WITH a
ticket, in favour of the drunk, abusive chav, without a ticket, Nurse
Nurse more drugs please.

Mad Von Clinkerhoffen

Phil Richards wrote:
redtube wrote:

"A plan to run London Underground services for an extra hour on Friday
and Saturday nights will be put to Londoners, the Mayor has said.

Oh yeah are they going to put the idea to the Train Ops as well?

So a change to rosters, perhaps. What's wrong with that? Most staff who
finish work late in the day will still have to rely upon getting home by
car or night bus with the existing arrangements, I can't see what extra
difficulties will be met with finishing say an hour or two later two
nights a week.

It seems the case is clear. You can have a later closed close down time
at Weekends at the expense of a later start up time the following
mornings? Perhaps we ought to be questioning whether or not the
maintenance work can be fitted around slightly longer operational hours
by retaining existing start up times and for two nights a week just
loosing an hour or two at the end of the day.

Old December 1st 04, 12:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

General Von Clinkerhoffen wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 1 Dec
2004:

So we disadvantage the early morning traveller getting to work WITH a
ticket, in favour of the drunk, abusive chav, without a ticket, Nurse
Nurse more drugs please.

But I wonder how many people actually *need* to get to work at, for
instance, 6.00 am on a Sunday? Sure, some do, but it is only a very
small minority of people who would be seriously inconvenienced. Besides
which, AIUI, this is a proposal, not a done deed - and a proposal means
just that - you can write and say "Oi, what about me and my ilk?" and
put the case for the status quo.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old December 1st 04, 07:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Oh dear Mrs Redboots.....no one gets to work on the tube at 6am on a
sunday......there is a fair few people getting to work at 7am though. Oh and
a huge amount of people going home from the night before! Always makes an
interesting early shift....the new lovers...the dumped partners.....quite
amazing!!

Old December 1st 04, 09:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 20:23:18 GMT, "Malcolm & Nika"
wrote:

Oh dear Mrs Redboots.....no one gets to work on the tube at 6am on a
sunday......there is a fair few people getting to work at 7am though. Oh and
a huge amount of people going home from the night before! Always makes an
interesting early shift....the new lovers...the dumped partners.....quite
amazing!!

Which is why Ken is consulting on the proposals - he doesn't have to.
He could just bulldoze them through....

Rob.
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk
Old December 1st 04, 09:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"UM Pston" wrote in message
om...
Paul Weaver wrote in message

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 21:18:58 +0000, umpston wrote:
Yes you are. There is no need for an hour less of useful workers -

in
todays "can do" society companies can just change their shifts to

match the
tubes. Or helpfully advise their employees to get bikes. Anybody

else has
no business to be up at such unearthly hours on the weekend.

A another 9-5 shiftist.

No. I work when I feel like it, whether it be 10-6 or 7-3. I'd
recommend the same for anybody.

Still the same, 8 hours 5 days single minded biggotry

I may be opinionated, flippant and a little rude sometimes but bigoted? It
appears you are the one with a prejudice - are you seriously suggesting
there is something wrong with working regular hours? Many people like it.
I don't think it would suit me but I have no quarrel in principle with
anyone who prefers an alternative lifestyle to mine.

Old December 2nd 04, 12:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Malcolm & Nika wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 1 Dec 2004:

Oh dear Mrs Redboots.....no one gets to work on the tube at 6am on a
sunday......there is a fair few people getting to work at 7am though. Oh and
a huge amount of people going home from the night before! Always makes an
interesting early shift....the new lovers...the dumped partners.....quite
amazing!!

I sometimes get an early (6.30 ish) bus down to Streatham on a Sunday
morning - time was, before they improved bus timetables, it would be the
first bus of the day, full of home-bound revellers, and smelling of
beer!