Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 4th 05, 06:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
A H A H is offline

Default New Vauxhall bus station/'interchange'

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
A H wrote:
Is it just me or does anyone else think this expensive new 'bus station'
doesn't live up the hype made during the planning stages?

(snip)

I visited it for the first time on New Year's Eve. I have to say that I
like the design - I think it's very striking. The glowing roundel is an
interesting touch. However, I can understand the usability concerns of
some posters to this group, as the stops seem to be arranged in a very
odd fashion, considering how easy access is for buses to the station!

I emerged from the tube at Vauxhall tonight (in the rain and wind) and had
to walk to the far end of the 'new, improved Vauxhall interchange' to catch
a bus. There isn't a lot of protection from the elements, especially when
there's a driving wind and horizontal rain, and many people now have to walk
a lot further than before, so what was the point in spending so much on an
'interchange' that involves cold and wet walks from one end to the other and
walks up and down stairs to the tube or overground when you get there?
Meanwhile, the former entrance ramp down to the tube at the other end of
Bondway, opposite the 44/344 bus stop, is now permanently closed off - hence
the long walk now, for many people, to enter the tube opposite the entrance
to the rail station.

The new interchange was supposed to link up rail/tube/bus by covered
walkways and escalators *to make it a proper interchange*. The ski slope
with a silver mobile home parked under it has failed to do this and it has
been a big, expensive disappointment for many....

Andy