Old February 9th 05, 04:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 'Merkin Language (was 02-28-2005 at Moorgate)

"Brimstone" wrote in message

... Americans claim to speak

Englsih,

(typographical error left intact)

Is that something like the dialect of Welsh spoken on Anglesey (Island)? ;-)

--
MatSav

Old February 9th 05, 05:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 02-28-2005 at Moorgate

Tom Anderson wrote:
KRISPY KREME.

Ugh, the Starbucks of doughnuts.
--
Michael Hoffman
Old February 9th 05, 07:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Brimstone" wrote in message ...
The "memorial", if you want one, is in daily use all over the system. It's
know as "Moorgate Control".

It's actually called TETS Protection (Trains Entering Terminal Stations).
Old February 9th 05, 09:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Dave Arquati
writes
Would you believe I've been living down the road in South Kensington
for two-and-a-half years and I've still never been to Harrods...

Yes I would.

I've been tourist guiding in London pretty intensively for coming on for
seven years and have set foot in the place twice.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old February 9th 05, 09:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Clive D. W. Feather
writes
In article , Roland
Perry writes
But which version of English? Americans claim to speak Englsih, but insist
on deviating from the original.

Oddly enough, it's British English which has deviated from the
original, while American English has stagnated.

Neither statement is true; both have deviated from Middle English in
various ways, and of course ME is in turn a deviation from Old English.
There are some characteristics - notably pronunciation - where American
has deviated less.

Ask the Dutch: 10th century English (though called Frisian) is an
official language in the Netherlands.

I'm told (although I've never been up there) that the German spoken in
the "Angeln", just South and West of the Danish frontier, is more or
less intelligible to English people with no knowledge of German.

Frisian, which I have heard, I can just about understand, though that's
more due to my knowledge of German and to a lesser extent Dutch, I
think.

Old February 9th 05, 10:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Thomas Crame wrote:
"Brimstone" wrote in message
The "memorial", if you want one, is in daily use all over the
system. It's
know as "Moorgate Control".

It's actually called TETS Protection (Trains Entering Terminal
Stations).

Is that just within LU or in the wider railway operating world as well?

Old February 9th 05, 11:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 11:54:46 +0000, Dave Arquati wrote:

Would you believe I've been living down the road in South Kensington for
two-and-a-half years and I've still never been to Harrods...

I believe that.

I came to London (to study at IC, as it happens) seven-plus years ago, and
not once have I set foot in Harrods, still less given its odious propietor
any of my money...
Old February 9th 05, 11:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dr John Stockton wrote:

ISO 8601:2000 specifies that the separators are hyphens; it does not
give the Unicode encoding. However, IIRC, a dash is not a hyphen.
Mostly, I expect that Unicode 0045 = ISO-7 45 will be used; that's the
well-known keyboard character commonly used for "minus".

It is also the well-known keyboard character commonly used for "hyphen."
Which is why its official Unicode name is HYPHEN-MINUS. And it is given
in hex, U+002D. U+0045 is LATIN CAPITAL LETTER E.

There are other code points used for exclusively hyphen (U+2010) and
minus (U+2212).
--
Michael Hoffman
Old February 9th 05, 11:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"James Farrar" wrote in message
newspslyf0uiywnvjb9@whisk...
On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 11:54:46 +0000, Dave Arquati wrote:

Would you believe I've been living down
the road in South Kensington for two-and-
a-half years and I've still never been to Harrods...

I believe that.

I came to London (to study at IC, as it happens)
seven-plus years ago, and not once have I set foot
in Harrods, still less given its odious propietor
any of my money...

You don't know what you're missing! The Egyptian escalator alone is worth a
visit. Everyone should spend a day exploring Harrods, but don't buy
anything!

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old February 10th 05, 12:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote:

You don't know what you're missing! The Egyptian escalator alone is worth a
visit. Everyone should spend a day exploring Harrods, but don't buy
anything!

Well, the food courts are worth a few hours as well. The collection of smoked
hams alone are impressive.