Old February 7th 05, 07:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 02-28-2005 at Moorgate

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 19:16:29 +0000 (UTC), Stephen Osborn
wrote:

No only does MMDDYYYY as a date format make no sense at all but, as it
is used in only a relatively small area, using it anywhere else hinders
rather than helps communication.

I would agree with that.

In work (an American company, in which I frequently work with
colleagues from the US) I tend to insist on YYYY-MM-DD, as it cannot
be misinterpreted, seeing as no-one I'm aware of ever uses YYYY-DD-MM.
It also has the advantage of being easy to sort using simple sorting
techniques, as the significance of the digits decreases from left to
right just like any multi-digit number.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain

Old February 7th 05, 07:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

TheOneKEA wrote:
Mrs Redboots wrote:
TheOneKEA wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 7 Feb 2005:
Last I checked, Thameslink doesn't serve Moorgate GN&C, WA does.

I think you'll find there were rush hour services until the blockade
started.

*cough*

I said Moorgate _GN&C_ - Greant Northern & City, the underground NR
platforms. The subsurface NR platforms were indeed served by
Thameslink, but were originally part of the Met.

The City/Metropolitan Widened Lines were never used by the Met/LT/LU as they
were built for the exclusive use of GN, Midland and other mainline companies
trains.

Old February 7th 05, 08:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Brimstone wrote:

So what, why is there this fascination with commemorating every
incident than occurs where someone dies? How about commemorating
Quitinshill, Abermule, Harrow and the other incidents that have
occured. We could also add Staines, Lckerbie and various other
such incidents. What leads you to suppose that the relatives and
those involved as either as surviving passengers or emergency
services personnel want to be reminded?

The folks who were involved with Ladbroke Grove have certainly minded;
they had the memorial erected near the site of the crash and I believe
they visit there on the anniversary of the crash as well!

Considering that Moorgate was equally as terrible as Ladbroke Grove, it
seems only logical that the bereaved and anyone else involved in that
may want to hold some sort of ceremony. And I would not be surprised if
anyone involved in any of the incidents you named don't also do
something similar, even if it is informal.

The "memorial", if you want one, is in daily use all over the
system. It's know as "Moorgate Control".

Indeed!

Either way, I was only curious if anything official was planned.

Old February 7th 05, 08:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

TheOneKEA wrote:

The folks who were involved with Ladbroke Grove have certainly
minded; they had the memorial erected near the site of the crash
and I believe they visit there on the anniversary of the crash as
well!

Considering that Moorgate was equally as terrible as Ladbroke
Grove, it seems only logical that the bereaved and anyone else
involved in that may want to hold some sort of ceremony. And I
would not be surprised if anyone involved in any of the incidents
you named don't also do something similar, even if it is informal.

I think the survivors and bereaved from the Ladbroke Grove crash will
want to continue visiting the memorial until they feel that the lessons
have all been learnt and solutions implemented. When that stage has been
reached, as it has for Moorgate, then if I were involved I would want to
remember and celebrate the lives of those who died rather than continue
to dwell on the way in which they died.
--
Richard J.

Old February 7th 05, 08:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

TheOneKEA wrote:
Brimstone wrote:

So what, why is there this fascination with commemorating every
incident than occurs where someone dies? How about commemorating
Quitinshill, Abermule, Harrow and the other incidents that have
occured. We could also add Staines, Lckerbie and various other
such incidents. What leads you to suppose that the relatives and
those involved as either as surviving passengers or emergency
services personnel want to be reminded?

The folks who were involved with Ladbroke Grove have certainly minded;
they had the memorial erected near the site of the crash and I believe
they visit there on the anniversary of the crash as well!

That is their personal choice and not one I'm intending to argue with. It
hasn't been instituted by officialdom or some other outsider.

Considering that Moorgate was equally as terrible as Ladbroke Grove,
it seems only logical that the bereaved and anyone else involved in
that may want to hold some sort of ceremony. And I would not be
surprised if anyone involved in any of the incidents you named don't
also do something similar, even if it is informal.

If they did it would more likely have been done at the 10th or 25th
anniversaries.

It is only in very recent years that this wish to commemorate every
incident, evidenced by the abundance of memorials at the scene of road and
other accidents, has arisen. Previously people learnt lessons (usually) and
got on with their lives, the bereaved were left to grieve in peace.

Old February 8th 05, 06:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london
K K is offline

On 7 Feb 2005 07:29:31 -0800, "TheOneKEA" wrote:

I tend to use either MMDDYYYY or YYYYMMDD.

Why?
Old February 8th 05, 06:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london
K K is offline

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 20:24:58 GMT, (Neil
Williams) wrote:

In work (an American company, in which I frequently work with
colleagues from the US)

Me too :-(

I tend to insist on YYYY-MM-DD, as it cannot

I use DD MMM which also cannot be misinterpreted.
Old February 8th 05, 10:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

k wrote:
I use DD MMM which also cannot be misinterpreted.

Unless you speak a language where the months have different names.
Then you will just be extremely confused.
--
Michael Hoffman
Old February 8th 05, 12:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mrs Redboots wrote:
TheOneKEA wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 7 Feb 2005:
Last I checked, Thameslink doesn't serve Moorgate GN&C, WA does.

I think you'll find there were rush hour services until the blockade
started.

*cough*

I said Moorgate _GN&C_ - Greant Northern & City, the underground NR
platforms. The subsurface NR platforms were indeed served by
Thameslink, but were originally part of the Met.

Oh, I see. I have never been there, so wouldn't know.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old February 8th 05, 12:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Michael Hoffman wrote:
k wrote:

I use DD MMM which also cannot be misinterpreted.

Unless you speak a language where the months have different names.
Then you will just be extremely confused.

Untrue. Most people who are likely to be in this position (e.g. using
the Internet, working for an international company) speak some form of
English to some extent and so will have some familiarity with English
month names.

Also, with no knowledge of the language involved it is inherent that
01xyz is in DDMMM format and so I can try and find out what xyz is in my
language. 0102 has no no inherent format.