Old February 10th 05, 07:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 'Merkin Language (was 02-28-2005 at Moorgate)

"MatSav" wrote in message
"Brimstone" wrote in message

... Americans claim to speak

Englsih,

(typographical error left intact)

Is that something like the dialect of Welsh spoken on Anglesey (Island)?
;-)

My ability to understand Welsh being limited I couldn't say, but I'd go
along with the idea that English English and American English are different
dialects of the same language.

Old February 10th 05, 08:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 02-28-2005 at Moorgate

In message , at 13:27:12 on Wed, 9
Feb 2005, Clive D. W. Feather remarked:
There are some characteristics - notably pronunciation - where American
has deviated less.

And spelling.
Old February 10th 05, 11:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, MatSav wrote:

"Brimstone" wrote in message

... Americans claim to speak

Englsih,

Is that something like the dialect of Welsh spoken on Anglesey (Island)?
;-)

tom

--
I know you wanna try and get away, but it's the hardest thing you'll ever know

Old February 10th 05, 01:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clark W. Griswold, Jr. wrote:
"John Rowland" wrote:

You don't know what you're missing! The Egyptian escalator alone is worth a
visit. Everyone should spend a day exploring Harrods, but don't buy
anything!

Well, the food courts are worth a few hours as well. The collection of smoked
hams alone are impressive.

I'm in two minds about it now... I am warming to the idea of visiting
and not spending any money. The thing is, I have to make a special
effort to go to Knightsbridge - I only ever pass through it rapidly by
Tube or bus on my way somewhere cheaper...

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old February 10th 05, 02:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clark W. Griswold, Jr. wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 9 Feb 2005:

"John Rowland" wrote:

You don't know what you're missing! The Egyptian escalator alone is worth a
visit. Everyone should spend a day exploring Harrods, but don't buy
anything!

Well, the food courts are worth a few hours as well. The collection of smoked
hams alone are impressive.

Yes, the place isn't a fraction of what it was when I was a small girl,
but the food halls are still wonderful!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old February 10th 05, 02:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote:
Clark W. Griswold, Jr. wrote:

"John Rowland" wrote:

You don't know what you're missing! The Egyptian escalator alone is
worth a
visit. Everyone should spend a day exploring Harrods, but don't buy
anything!

Well, the food courts are worth a few hours as well. The collection of
smoked
hams alone are impressive.

I'm in two minds about it now... I am warming to the idea of visiting
and not spending any money. The thing is, I have to make a special
effort to go to Knightsbridge - I only ever pass through it rapidly by
Tube or bus on my way somewhere cheaper...

It's hardly far though - about a 4 minute walk from IC's [1] main
entrance. I used to quite like walking there down the back of Southside,
along the mews, right to the end where you cut through the archway in
the wall, and then turn L-R-L-R down to where the Hans Place (?) side of
Harrods is.

Another nice walk is via the churchyard at the back of Brompton Oratory.

I used to go there for a few specific things only: (1) cigarettes (no
dearer than anywhere else and they have quite a nice selection) and
Zippo consumables; (2) a specific diary refill that I couldn;t find
anywhere else; (3) a specific brand of perfume/toiletries which I have a
points card for - other stockists don't do this for that brand and
they were always quite generous with the freebies to me too.

[1] I don't work there any more, so I can freely ignore the new style
guide :-)
Old February 10th 05, 10:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 15:20:14 +0000, Dave Newt
wrote:

It's hardly far though - about a 4 minute walk from IC's [1] main
entrance. I used to quite like walking there down the back of Southside,
along the mews, right to the end where you cut through the archway in
the wall, and then turn L-R-L-R down to where the Hans Place (?) side of
Harrods is.

Another nice walk is via the churchyard at the back of Brompton Oratory.

I lived in Linstead for a year (lucky me) so that was my favoured route
out, of course.

[1] I don't work there any more, so I can freely ignore the new style
guide :-)

Ignore Sykes. That's what I do. Save the comma!
Old February 11th 05, 08:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

It's hardly far though - about a 4 minute walk from IC's [1] main
entrance. I used to quite like walking there down the back of
Southside, along the mews, right to the end where you cut through
the archway in the wall, and then turn L-R-L-R down to where the Hans
Place (?) side of Harrods is.

Another nice walk is via the churchyard at the back of Brompton Oratory.

I lived in Linstead for a year (lucky me) so that was my favoured route
out, of course.

[1] I don't work there any more, so I can freely ignore the new style
guide :-)

Ignore Sykes. That's what I do. Save the comma!

To be fair to him, he was always very nice and interested in what I had
to say on the two or three occasions I "officially" met him. It's the
brand implementers who tend to be amongst the most clueless I find...
(and not just there either...)
Old February 11th 05, 11:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

It's hardly far though - about a 4 minute walk from IC's [1] main
entrance. I used to quite like walking there down the back of
Southside, along the mews, right to the end where you cut through
the archway in the wall, and then turn L-R-L-R down to where the
Hans Place (?) side of Harrods is.

Another nice walk is via the churchyard at the back of Brompton Oratory.

I lived in Linstead for a year (lucky me) so that was my favoured
route out, of course.

I'll see your Linstead and raise you Fisher.

[1] I don't work there any more, so I can freely ignore the new
style guide :-)

Ignore Sykes. That's what I do. Save the comma!

To be fair to him, he was always very nice and interested in what I had
to say on the two or three occasions I "officially" met him. It's the
brand implementers who tend to be amongst the most clueless I find...
(and not just there either...)

I've given up caring about the comma... half the people I talk to
outside uni haven't even heard of the place, let alone care about the comma!

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7