Old February 24th 05, 07:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Easier - Stanstead or Luton to London

In message , at 07:36:22 on
Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Martin Rich remarked:
It doesn't need to be a 500 (or even 300!) yard walk *outdoors* - the
majority can be done indoors. Simply cross the St Pancras taxi rank
and walk via the King's Cross platforms 9/10/11 building, and then
down platform 8 to the Underground entrance.

Except there are signs prohibiting it. On one hand it's a bloody cheek,
on the other it's private property and they could insist that all
passengers walked along the platform naked (to pick a random stupid
policy).

Is this a recent development?

The signs were there from late last year, I think. I made a point of
going that way last week, partly to check that I hadn't imagined it, and
partly to exercise my right as a holder of a GNER booking for *this*
week. The sign says nothing about being a passenger *today*.

A week or so back I'd arrived at KX on
a number 214 bus northbound, and needed to get to the temporary St
Pancras Station. I did roughly the walk that Jason describes above -
in the other direction of course - and was surprised to notice signs
that the concourse at Kings Cross was only for WAGN and GNER
passengers.

(Since I use WAGN several times per week I didn't feel any compunction
in walking through the concourse... )

As I describe above.

Old March 6th 05, 08:59 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london

i own a flat in fulham. I live in venice and so I have the chance to return
home choosing between gatwick and luton.
I'd like to know which is the quickiest way.
what do you suggest?
boezio
"Pete" ha scritto nel messaggio
I'm heading to the Westminster area of London next week and I have the
option of flying into either Stanstead or Luton. Which airport has the
better rail links to this part of London? By "better" I mean easier/faster
and/or cheaper.

TIA.

Old March 6th 05, 09:08 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 21:59:10 GMT, severino boezio wrote:

i own a flat in fulham. I live in venice and so I have the chance to
return
home choosing between gatwick and luton.
I'd like to know which is the quickiest way.
what do you suggest?

District line to Victoria, train to Gatwick.
Old March 7th 05, 10:55 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london

severino boezio wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 6 Mar 2005:

i own a flat in fulham. I live in venice and so I have the chance to return
home choosing between gatwick and luton.
I'd like to know which is the quickiest way.
what do you suggest?

Gatwick would be the quickest from Fulham - District Line to Victoria,
then direct train (get the Southern service, not the Gatwick Express,
which is far more expensive).

Luton would be slower because of the "blockade" on the Thameslink
service, so you would have to change at Earl's Court or South Kensington
to the Piccadilly Line, and then again at King's Cross.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old March 7th 05, 02:45 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london

Gatwick would be the quickest from Fulham - District Line to Victoria,
then direct train (get the Southern service, not the Gatwick Express,
which is far more expensive).

Or even get the direct Southern service from West Brompton.

Old March 7th 05, 03:53 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london

asdf wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 7 Mar 2005:

Gatwick would be the quickest from Fulham - District Line to Victoria,
then direct train (get the Southern service, not the Gatwick Express,
which is far more expensive).

Or even get the direct Southern service from West Brompton.

I had totally forgotten that one! Shows how long it is since I used
that area regularly. But direct trains are only about once an hour,
otherwise it is changing at Clapham Junction. Which may or may not be a
problem for the OP, depending on how much luggage he or she has.

Old March 7th 05, 05:13 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 11:55:57 +0000, Mrs Redboots
wrote:

severino boezio wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 6 Mar 2005:

i own a flat in fulham. I live in venice and so I have the chance to return
home choosing between gatwick and luton.
I'd like to know which is the quickiest way.
what do you suggest?

Gatwick would be the quickest from Fulham - District Line to Victoria,
then direct train (get the Southern service, not the Gatwick Express,
which is far more expensive).

If you get the time right, changing at West Brompton onto the Watford
Junction-Brighton service would be a lot quicker. Cross-platform
change only, It only runs once an hour at xx.39, Doesn't run on
Sundays, though.
--
Terry Harper
Website Coordinator, The Omnibus Society

Old March 8th 05, 03:30 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london

It's not that bad - it's mostly indoors to the tube if you go through
King's Cross Suburban station.

Old March 8th 05, 08:39 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london

In message .com, at
08:30:55 on Tue, 8 Mar 2005, James remarked:
It's not that bad - it's mostly indoors to the tube if you go through
King's Cross Suburban station.

Except you are banned from doing that. Signs say you can only enter the
station that way if you are a GN or GNER customer. (Although they don't
say "a GN or GNER customer *today*").