Old April 4th 05, 10:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default OT Any thoughts on the London Pass ? OT

wrote:
Richard J. wrote [re the London Pass]:

Note that in very small print it says that they will add
17.5% tax (meaning VAT, I assume) to the quoted prices.
Presenting consumer prices in this way is not regarded as
good practice in the UK.

If you get [a London Pass] with travel included, you will pay
£38 (including tax*) for the travel element ....

* VAT is not payable on public transport fares, so I don't see
how they can justify this. I've mailed them (the Leisure Pass
Group) about this.

According to Trading Standards it is infact a criminal offence to
show a price to the a consumer which does not include VAT (except
in some circumstances). See

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/c...dv087-0100.txt

and

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2004/20040102.htm

Those references don't seem to define "product" but they exempt
"products which are supplied in the course of the provision of a
service". Perhaps the London Pass comes comes under this exemption,
since transport or entrance to museums are services. This would also
explain how airlines can get away with offering fares at £10 or
whatever, excluding various taxes and supplements in a highly misleading
way.
--
Richard J.

Old April 4th 05, 11:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/c...dv087-0100.txt

and

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2004/20040102.htm

Those references don't seem to define "product" but they exempt
"products which are supplied in the course of the provision of a
service". Perhaps the London Pass comes comes under this exemption,

Ah but they charge a re-stocking fee if the ticket is returned. You
can't restock a service, can you?

Old April 5th 05, 10:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Any thoughts on the London Pass ?

wrote:
TheMiz wrote:

wrote:

TheMiz wrote:

OPPS sorry its 100 Queen's Gate

If you're going to somewhere on Queens Gate I would suggesting getting
off the tube at Glouster Road. You could get the Picidilly line all
the way (and go up a few steps and a lift) in Glouster Road. Theres
less steps from the Pic than the District at Glouster Road

Thanks You

But I think it is much shorter for me to get off at South Kensington its
only about a 3 minute walk up Old Brompton Road ( corner of Old Brompton
Road and Queens Gate)

South Kensington is further away from 100 Queens Gate than Gloucester
Road (yes the tube stations are really that close together)

If it's the hotel I know at the corner of Old Brompton Road and Queen's
Gate, then South Kensington is definitely nearer, no matter what
Multimap says. The walk from Gloucester Road is indirect whereas the
walk from South Kensington is very direct; as the crow flies it may be
nearer to Gloucester Road, but the walking distance from South Ken is
shorter.

Of course, this is rather pedantic as it's probably only the difference
a few metres. If the OP is familiar with the walk from South Ken station
then that's a good reason in itself to walk from there.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old April 5th 05, 12:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Any thoughts on the London travel card

Dave Arquati wrote:
wrote:

TheMiz wrote:

wrote:

TheMiz wrote:

[...]

This will be my 4th year of staying at this hotel and since I know my
way I will get there the way I know.

I do learn my way around each year and once I am there I will take a
walk and look for Gloucester Road. The hotel has never mentioned it as a
possible way to get to the Regency.

You are all very helpful and Thank You

Mizer