Old April 4th 05, 03:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Any thoughts on the London Pass ?

Richard J. wrote:
TheMiz wrote:

Richard J. wrote:

David Bennetts wrote:

"TheMiz" wrote in message

Think I will take the express to Paddington
then hop the tube to the Kennsington station

If you're going to South Kensington it'll be far cheaper, easier
and probably quicker to get the Heathrow Express to Terminals
1,2,3 (free) and change to the Picadilly Line tube there. Then
change to a district line train at Barons Court (across platform
connection).

Cheaper? Yes.

Easier? Not much in it. Both routes have a walk between HEx and
the Underground. Both involve a wait of up to 15 minutes for HEx
at T4.

Quicker? Not necessarily according to TfL's Journey Planner. Your
route takes 53-73 minutes including waiting times. Via
Paddington, it's 44-67 minutes. Taking the dedicated bus from T4
to Hatton Cross and the Piccadilly Line would reduce the overall
time to 40-50 minutes.

Also, there's not much point in changing to the District at Barons
Court as the Piccadilly also goes to South Kensington, and there
are fewer steps to climb from the Picc to street level (plus
escalators of course).

That does sound rather good! I know my way once I get to South
Kensington just about a 4 block walk up to Queensway!

But Queensway is the other side of Kensington Gardens from South
Kensington, a distance of more than 1 mile. If you can tell us where
your hotel is (hotel name/road, or postcode), we can refine the
transport advice.

Any thoughts on a 7 day London Pass ?

According to their website www.londonpass.com, you can buy one for 1,2,3
or 6 days, not 7. It's only worth it, in my view, if you're going to
spend all your time visiting the attractions listed on their site. Note
that in very small print it says that they will add 17.5% tax (meaning
VAT, I assume) to the quoted prices. Presenting consumer prices in this
way is not regarded as good practice in the UK.

If you get one with travel included, you will pay £38 (including tax*)
for the travel element, covering Zones 1-6. A 7-Day Travelcard for
Zones 1-2, where all the main tourist attractions are, is £21.40.

* VAT is not payable on public transport fares, so I don't see how they
can justify this. I've mailed them (the Leisure Pass Group) about this.

I was looking on www.londontravelpass.com

Old April 4th 05, 07:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , TheMiz
writes

OPPS sorry its 100 Queen's Gate

In that case your hotel is less than 500 yards from the Piccadilly line
at South Kensington Station.

By far the best route is to take the Piccadilly line direct to South
Kensington - I would still recommend taking the bus replacement from
Terminal 4 to the Piccadilly line station at Hatton Cross, but taking a
free ride from T4 to Terminal 1-3 at Heathrow, and joining the
Piccadilly line there, is an alternative.

Whichever you do, taking the Heathrow Express all the way to Paddington
would be an expensive mistake that would take you well out of your way.
The Piccadilly line is far more direct.

--
Paul Terry
Old April 4th 05, 10:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Planned London Trip

TheMiz wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 3 Apr 2005:

Think I will take the express to Paddington
then hop the tube to the Kennsington station

That is rather going round 2 sides of a triangle if you are going to
South Kensington, it is a direct run on the Underground. If you are
going to Kensington High Street, it is still slightly 2 sides of a
triangle, but rather less so!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old April 4th 05, 10:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

David Bennetts wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 4 Apr 2005:

If you're going to South Kensington it'll be far cheaper, easier and
probably quicker to get the Heathrow Express to Terminals 1,2,3 (free) and
change to the Picadilly Line tube there. Then change to a district line
train at Barons Court (across platform connection).

No need to change - Piccadilly Line stops at South Ken too!

Old April 4th 05, 10:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

TheMiz wrote [in three different posts!]:

OPPS sorry its 100 Queen's Gate

Right, then South Ken is OK.

I should have said Travelcard !

I was looking on www.londontravelpass.com

The choice is between buying a 7-day Visitor Travelcard before you leave
(Zones 1-6, £38.30) or buying tickets in London.

Most visitors spend all their time in zones 1 and 2, and only go outside
them for the journeys to and from Heathrow (zone 6). For that, you
could buy at Heathrow a single zone6-to-zone2 ticket and a 7-day zones
1-2 Travelcard for a total of £23.50. You would then need to buy on
your last day a "zone extension ticket" extending the validity of your
Travelcard through to Heathrow, which I think would be £2.10.
--
Richard J.

Old April 4th 05, 05:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:
TheMiz wrote [in three different posts!]:

OPPS sorry its 100 Queen's Gate

Right, then South Ken is OK.

I should have said Travelcard !

I was looking on www.londontravelpass.com

The choice is between buying a 7-day Visitor Travelcard before you leave
(Zones 1-6, £38.30) or buying tickets in London.

Most visitors spend all their time in zones 1 and 2, and only go outside
them for the journeys to and from Heathrow (zone 6). For that, you
could buy at Heathrow a single zone6-to-zone2 ticket and a 7-day zones
1-2 Travelcard for a total of £23.50. You would then need to buy on
your last day a "zone extension ticket" extending the validity of your
Travelcard through to Heathrow, which I think would be £2.10.

RichardJ

Seems like every time I come over and just buy the Zone 1 and 2 pass
I end up one day in Richmond another in Enfield and another in Barnet
That is not counting the travel from Heathrow

What zone is Heathrow in ?

As Always Thanks

TheMiz
Old April 4th 05, 06:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

TheMiz wrote:
Richard J. wrote:

The choice is between buying a 7-day Visitor Travelcard before you
leave (Zones 1-6, £38.30) or buying tickets in London.

Most visitors spend all their time in zones 1 and 2, and only go
outside them for the journeys to and from Heathrow (zone 6). For
that, you could buy at Heathrow a single zone6-to-zone2 ticket and
a 7-day zones 1-2 Travelcard for a total of £23.50. You would
then need to buy on your last day a "zone extension ticket"
extending the validity of your Travelcard through to Heathrow,
which I think would be £2.10.

RichardJ

Seems like every time I come over and just buy the Zone 1 and 2 pass
I end up one day in Richmond another in Enfield and another in
Barnet That is not counting the travel from Heathrow

What zone is Heathrow in ?

Zone 6.

There's a map of the zones at
http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/tubem...onnections.pdf

--
Richard J.

Old April 4th 05, 09:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

TheMiz wrote:

OPPS sorry its 100 Queen's Gate

If you're going to somewhere on Queens Gate I would suggesting getting
off the tube at Glouster Road. You could get the Picidilly line all
the way (and go up a few steps and a lift) in Glouster Road. Theres
less steps from the Pic than the District at Glouster Road

Old April 4th 05, 09:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default OT Any thoughts on the London Pass ? OT

Richard J. wrote:
[...]

According to Trading Standards it is infact a criminal offence to show
a price to the a consumer which does not include VAT (except in some
circumstances). See

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/c...dv087-0100.txt

and

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2004/20040102.htm

I like their insurance policy - they charge 2.5% extra and if you don't
go they refund you the money minus a re-stocking fee. How can you
re-stock something which has a specified date on it? And who is going
to fall for that insurance policy anyway (don't most tourists have
insurance for their holidays which includes being insured against not
going)