Old April 14th 05, 12:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Rail symbol on tram destination blinds

In message , John Rowland
writes
"Alan (in Brussels)" wrote in message

So I suspected the double-arrow symbol might be just a relic.

No it's not a relic, it means they don't know whether they're coming or
going.
--
Clive.

Old April 14th 05, 08:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
Tom Anderson writes

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005, Paul Terry wrote:

I live in a London borough that I think claims a higher proportion of
open space than any other (Richmond).

Even Waltham Forest?

There is more than 5,000 acres of public open space in Richmond - about
14% of the total for Greater London. I believe that is a larger amount
than in any other London borough:

http://www.richmond.gov.uk/depts/env...ks/default.htm

My point is that Richmond is an area of relatively low population
density in London terms (30 per hectare, compared with 56 per hectare in
Waltham Forest, for example). Despite this, much of the area can sustain
high-frequency bus services.

I don't want to over-simplify, though: part of the reason is that wide
tracts of open parkland separate areas of quite high-density housing and
that is an ideal combination for high-frequency bus routes.

Anyway, i take it you live within short walking distance of one of the
town centres in Richmond.

Not really. We just have a lot of buses.

--
Paul Terry
Old April 14th 05, 09:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Paul Terry wrote:

In message ,
Tom Anderson writes

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005, Paul Terry wrote:

I live in a London borough that I think claims a higher proportion
of open space than any other (Richmond).

Even Waltham Forest?

There is more than 5,000 acres of public open space in Richmond - about
14% of the total for Greater London.

Eek! That is quite a bit. Damn you with your fancy great park! And what
have we got up here? Flipping Finsbury Park is what!

I don't want to over-simplify, though: part of the reason is that wide
tracts of open parkland separate areas of quite high-density housing and
that is an ideal combination for high-frequency bus routes.

Quite!

tom

--
Few technologies will ever stand up to the will of adolescents trying to do things they're told they're not allowed to do. -- Scott Berkun

Old April 14th 05, 02:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:14:35 +0100, Paul Terry
wrote:

Two sets of friends in North Yorks ("one bus a week on Thursdays") still
cannot get over the fact that despite being 8 miles from the centre of
London, we have buses every 3 minutes in the peak, every 5 minutes
off-peak, and night buses stopping within short walking distance every
10 minutes throughout the night. A bit further up the road there are 36
buses an hour each way in the peak period.

Some London Night Bus routes do have a wonderful service - erm no,
make that a 'wonderfully high frequency'.

With the N38, using from Angel for example, there are 12 buses per
hour from 2am to 5am - an average of every 6 minutes - for the
weeknight service.

This doesn't give the whole picture are there are some odd frequencies
thrown in: 2:02, 2:03 [...] 2:32, 2:33 [...] 3:02, 3:03 [...] 3:30,
3:33, 3:36, [...] 4:01, 4:03 [...] 4:33, 4:34.
(From http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/use...__000022b8.pdf)

--
Cheers,

Jason.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Old April 14th 05, 03:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

I just tried it and it gave a even spread of buses, also the timetable
suggests they are fairly well spread http://www.busmap.org/tt4/N038.pdf

Paul

Old April 14th 05, 03:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
Tom Anderson writes
I live in a London borough that I think claims a higher proportion
of open space than any other (Richmond).

Richmond Park, now there's a nice bit of land to concrete over and make
a park and ride from.
--
Clive.
Old April 14th 05, 10:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Clive Coleman wrote:

In message ,
Tom Anderson writes

I live in a London borough that I think claims a higher
proportion of open space than any other (Richmond).

Richmond Park, now there's a nice bit of land to concrete over and make
a park and ride from.

Clive, you're a genius!

Hang on, though - park and ride? That would mean people would leave their
cars and use public transport. That's madness! Better, surely, would be to
use the space - not all of it, of course - to build two or three new
six-lane motorways into central London, the Richmond bypass, the Wimbledon
bypass, and the Richmond bypass bypass. Perhaps the rest of it could be
converted to a service area.

tom

--
Memes don't exist. Tell your friends.

Old April 15th 05, 12:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
Tom Anderson writes
Richmond Park, now there's a nice bit of land to concrete over and make
a park and ride from.

Clive, you're a genius!

Hang on, though - park and ride?

You think I'm joking. With the price of land so high in London surely
a park and ride scheme in Richmond Park could take a LOT of cars off of
the road and free up a lot of the roads further in. Just think of all
those commuters from the south west.
--
Clive.
Old April 15th 05, 04:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:14:35 +0100, Paul Terry wrote:

night buses stopping within short walking distance every
10 minutes throughout the night.

really?
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9632840.html
(A comparative rarity - 33 024 at Birmingham New Street - 7 Jun 1985)
Old April 15th 05, 05:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Chris Tolley
writes

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:14:35 +0100, Paul Terry wrote:

night buses stopping within short walking distance every
10 minutes throughout the night.

really?

There are eight night buses an hour, on four different routes, so
roughly 10 minutes is a reasonable guess.

--
Paul Terry

Bus blinds francis London Transport 10 September 21st 14 08:07 PM
Bus destination blinds - how are they decided? [email protected] London Transport 25 April 4th 07 07:37 PM
Electronic bus destination blinds Mrs Redboots London Transport 31 November 19th 04 06:40 AM
Stockwell RML blinds mjw1 London Transport 4 October 26th 03 02:28 PM