Old April 2nd 07, 01:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bus destination blinds - how are they decided?

For as long as I've been taking it (i.e. at least 7 years), the 47 has
shown a destination of "Catford Bus Garage". Today I noticed that the
new destination blinds now say "Bellingham" in large letters, with
"Catford Bus Garage" in smaller letters next to it.

Just wondering, who makes these decisions? Is there some sort of
consultation process, or is it just someone in head office? Okay,
Catford Bus Garage is right next to Bellingham Station, but it just
seems odd to change the destination blind. Don't know if other buses
terminating at the bus garage will now show "Bellingham" as well.

Patrick

Old April 2nd 07, 02:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2 Apr, 14:41, wrote:
For as long as I've been taking it (i.e. at least 7 years), the 47 has
shown a destination of "Catford Bus Garage". Today I noticed that the
new destination blinds now say "Bellingham" in large letters, with
"Catford Bus Garage" in smaller letters next to it.

Just wondering, who makes these decisions? Is there some sort of
consultation process, or is it just someone in head office?

Please god let it be the latter ... a consultation process (no matter
how small a process) for something as minor as this would be an
extraordinary waste of money.

D.

Old April 2nd 07, 05:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"David F" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 2 Apr, 14:41, wrote:
For as long as I've been taking it (i.e. at least 7 years), the 47 has
shown a destination of "Catford Bus Garage". Today I noticed that the
new destination blinds now say "Bellingham" in large letters, with
"Catford Bus Garage" in smaller letters next to it.

Just wondering, who makes these decisions? Is there some sort of
consultation process, or is it just someone in head office?

Please god let it be the latter ... a consultation process (no matter
how small a process) for something as minor as this would be an
extraordinary waste of money.

D.

Why do buses going to the same terminus at Lewisham sometimes say "Lewisham"
or "Lewisham Station" and sometimes "Lewisham DLR". It must be a committee!
Of course, you can't actually go to the bus garage, they expect you to get
off before then!

MaxB

Old April 2nd 07, 10:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2 Apr, 14:41, wrote:
For as long as I've been taking it (i.e. at least 7 years), the 47 has
shown a destination of "Catford Bus Garage". *Today I noticed that the
new destination blinds now say "Bellingham" in large letters, with
"Catford Bus Garage" in smaller letters next to it.

Just wondering, who makes these decisions? *Is there some sort of
consultation process, or is it just someone in head office?

In the case of London such matters are overseen by a quango entitled
"Transport for London" who will have a committee to deliberate on
them. And as the saying goes "a camel is a horse designed by a
committee".

--
gordon

Old April 3rd 07, 09:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Dr J R Stockton wrote:

Judging by the last timetable / list of stops I recall, whoever it is
may need to be told that New Malden Police Station is defunct (the
police now have a non-station at the other end of the High Street; the
buses ignore it, rightly giving precedence to the Railway Station).

Similarly where do I go to tell TfL that "Queen Mary & Westfield College" is
out of date and should read "Queen Mary, University of London" on the bus
stops, timetable and DLR area map? This one seriously annoys me - QMW is
seriously out of date and everything now says QMUL.

Also who, whether TfL, "one" or National Rail needs to be told that the
local maps up at Stratford still have cottoned on to the fact that it's now
one station not "Stratford High Level" and "Stratford Low Level"?

Old April 3rd 07, 10:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/contact/default.aspx
--
Michael Hoffman
Old April 3rd 07, 10:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Apr 3, 11:12 am, Michael Hoffman wrote:
Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:
Similarly where do I go to tell TfL that "Queen Mary & Westfield College" is
out of date and should read "Queen Mary, University of London" on the bus
stops, timetable and DLR area map? This one seriously annoys me - QMW is
seriously out of date and everything now says QMUL.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/contact/default.aspx
--
Michael Hoffman

Sometimes changing the name to an updated name causes more confusion.

Old historical names or defunct landmarks are SOMETIMES more useful to
the travelling public.

And drivers lack of geography in some cases is so shameful that it's
of little use to them.

The cost of all these changes must be huge in itself, let alone the
comittee deciding on them in weekly meetings.

Old April 3rd 07, 11:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

[Tim Roll-Pickering]
Similarly where do I go to tell TfL that "Queen Mary & Westfield College" is
out of date and should read "Queen Mary, University of London" on the bus
stops, timetable and DLR area map? This one seriously annoys me - QMW is
seriously out of date and everything now says QMUL.

[Londoncityslicker]
Sometimes changing the name to an updated name causes more confusion.

Old historical names or defunct landmarks are SOMETIMES more useful to
the travelling public.

If you're trying to find "Queen Mary, University of London," I agree
with Tim's implicit point that another name for it would only be confusing.

And drivers lack of geography in some cases is so shameful that it's
of little use to them.

The cost of all these changes must be huge in itself, let alone the
comittee deciding on them in weekly meetings.

I'm not sure such a committee exists.
--
Michael Hoffman
Old April 3rd 07, 11:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Apr 2, 6:21 pm, "MaxB" wrote:
"David F" wrote in message

oups.com... On 2 Apr, 14:41, wrote:
For as long as I've been taking it (i.e. at least 7 years), the 47 has
shown a destination of "Catford Bus Garage". Today I noticed that the
new destination blinds now say "Bellingham" in large letters, with
"Catford Bus Garage" in smaller letters next to it.

Just wondering, who makes these decisions? Is there some sort of
consultation process, or is it just someone in head office?

Please god let it be the latter ... a consultation process (no matter
how small a process) for something as minor as this would be an
extraordinary waste of money.

D.

Why do buses going to the same terminus at Lewisham sometimes say "Lewisham"
or "Lewisham Station" and sometimes "Lewisham DLR". It must be a committee!
Of course, you can't actually go to the bus garage, they expect you to get
off before then!

That might imply that each bus company designs its own, rather than
them being imposed by TfL. Is there a correlation between the
different versions and the company?

Bus blinds francis London Transport 10 September 21st 14 08:07 PM
Chesham/Amersham changes decided Paul Scott London Transport 16 February 13th 09 09:45 PM
Rail symbol on tram destination blinds Alan \(in Brussels\) London Transport 46 May 15th 05 04:37 PM
Electronic bus destination blinds Mrs Redboots London Transport 31 November 19th 04 06:40 AM
London Bus Destination Displays Sharon & Gordon Thomson London Transport 1 January 14th 04 09:21 PM