Old May 11th 05, 10:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default round thing outside liverpool street

my memory suggested a canteen, but it could
have been a gym.

It was a Staff Association premises, always known as The Gymnasium. It
certainly was a gym originally, but I think it became largely just
another drinking club over the years.

Old May 13th 05, 08:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 9 May 2005 17:40:35 +0100, Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
I went to Liverpool Street this morning to look around. Looking again at
Chris Tolley's pictures:

The one showing the Solari board: the roof above platforms 12 to 17 has
now been completely removed but the barrier line is roughly in the same
place as shown. This picture ...

http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p13277470.html

... would appear to have been taken from the
walkway along the side of the ticket office (now a pub).

That's right. I was resting my camera on the handrail.
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9632804.html
(31 143 at Leamington Spa in 1985, just before a torrential downpour)
Old May 13th 05, 08:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 9 May 2005 17:40:35 +0100, Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
I went to Liverpool Street this morning to look around. Looking again at
Chris Tolley's pictures:

The one showing the Great Eastern Hotel sign

(http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p13277464.html)
is taken on the old
platform 9; the photo was taken from a point which is *now* around the
buffer stop of platform 8 but was then well outside the barrier line.

That's right. I then walked toward the Hotel and took two more pictures,
looking away from the buffers (these aren't in the "stations section of
my fotopic site, so you may not have noticed them):
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p14105313.html
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p10601006.html
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p12686836.html
(Preserved Glasgow Tram 1282 at Crich Tramway Museum in 2000)
Old May 13th 05, 08:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 9 May 2005 17:40:35 +0100, Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
Looking again at Chris Tolley's pictures:
I can't work out where the outside picture

(http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p13277478.html)
was taken, so I can't see how that sloping road fits in.

It was on the corner across the road from the Underground station
entrance. What was left of Broad Street station was to my left.

I also found a pic of the original platform 1:
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9767181.html

What I can't recall is where exactly I was when I took the one during
the rebuilding: http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p13296304.html
Would that have been where the escalator entrance is from Bishopsgate?
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9946356.html
(Passing the buddleia - 155 343 arrives at Halifax in 2004)

Old May 13th 05, 07:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Chris Tolley
writes
That's right. I then walked toward the Hotel and took two more pictures,
looking away from the buffers (these aren't in the "stations section of
my fotopic site, so you may not have noticed them):
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p14105313.html
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p10601006.html

I hadn't.

Looking at the first, I think that piece of wall has been removed but I
could be mis-remembering. It gives the impression that there's another
wall behind it with something (a taxi ramp?) between them.

The second shows something I had completely forgotten - the siding. I
*think* that the present platform 10 track is where the siding was, and
the platform 10 track shown there has been paved over. Certainly it
would help explain why there's a wide space between 10 and 11 in the
present station.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old May 13th 05, 07:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Chris Tolley
writes
I also found a pic of the original platform 1:
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9767181.html

Were tracks 1 and 2 longer than 3 to 8? The steps on platform 2 sort of
imply it.

My memory was that there was a footbridge from 2 to 1, but that picture
makes it look more like you just walked around the end. Curious. Unless
it's that construct in the distance, but that would make the tracks a
*lot* longer.

What I can't recall is where exactly I was when I took the one during
the rebuilding: http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p13296304.html
Would that have been where the escalator entrance is from Bishopsgate?

Here I *can* help. The wider roof arches on the right are the ones over
platforms 9 and 10 - look at your other pictures to see what I mean. So
you're standing roughly where the Circle Line now emerges, underneath
McDonalds.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old May 13th 05, 07:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Chris Tolley
writes
The one showing the Solari board:

http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p13277470.html

More memories.

That Solari wasn't the normal one-column-per-train or a simple summary.
Rather, it was divided into four parts. On the left was the West Anglia
locals, of which more below.

Then there was the "main line" services. Much of this one was normal,
but the calling points were spelled out on single-letter flaps like many
airports, rather than complete-name flaps as the destinations were (and
platforms, times, and buffer notes). I don't know why it was done this
way; there weren't *that* many places involved. [By the way, Cambridge
was "main line" in those days; look at the second train down.]

Third was the arrivals board (for main line services only) with two sets
of times.

Finally, on the right, was the Great Eastern locals.

Underneath each section was a bit for additional messages, also using
one letter per flap.

The two local sections didn't show the calling points directly. Instead
the last flap on each line was a single letter (white or yellow, I
forget which, on the WA and green on the GE). On the board you can see
line diagrams and a long key for the letters. So "A" on both was "all
stations", "B" on the GE might be "Shenfield, then all stations", and so
on. I do remember that many of the GE codes were in pairs, one with
"except Prittlewell" and one without. And the last code on each ("X" or
"Z") was "see displays at the platform".

Oh yes, each platform ticket barrier had a single column Solari which
showed the train there at the moment and all its calling points.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old May 13th 05, 11:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 13 May 2005 20:05:43 +0100, Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
In article , Chris Tolley
I also found a pic of the original platform 1:
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9767181.html

Were tracks 1 and 2 longer than 3 to 8? The steps on platform 2 sort of
imply it.

Yes, but not by much. Half a coach length, perhaps.

My memory was that there was a footbridge from 2 to 1, but that picture
makes it look more like you just walked around the end. Curious.

Both, IIRC. In http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p10601006.html there's a
red footbridge. This went across the width of that side of the station.
Plat 1&2 buffers were just underneath it, but all the other platform
gates were a few yards in front of it. So you could walk down off that
bridge, or you could walk round the buffers by going underneath it.
Old May 14th 05, 12:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Chris Tolley
writes
Were tracks 1 and 2 longer than 3 to 8? The steps on platform 2 sort of
imply it.

Yes, but not by much. Half a coach length, perhaps.

Sounds right.

My memory was that there was a footbridge from 2 to 1, but that picture
makes it look more like you just walked around the end. Curious.

Both, IIRC. In http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p10601006.html there's a
red footbridge. This went across the width of that side of the station.

Indeed, I mentioned it in one of my earlier postings.

Plat 1&2 buffers were just underneath it, but all the other platform
gates were a few yards in front of it. So you could walk down off that
bridge, or you could walk round the buffers by going underneath it.

Ah, of course.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: