Old April 29th 05, 09:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default round thing outside liverpool street

I go through liverpool street station everyday on my way to work, and
Ive noticed these things about 3 metres high, and 3 metres across, that
are totally round, and appear to have air vents at the top. They sit
outside the offices of UBS in the broadgate centre, on liverpool
street, and are built in the same design as the rest of broadgate.

Now, I know a bit about the history of broadgate, and that it used to
be a mainline station called broad street, and assumed that these might
be the old lift shafts for the broad street entrance to liverpool
street central line tube station, since they seem to be close to above
where the bridge runs over the west end of the eastbound platform.

But recently I noticed that apart from the two near the bus stops,
there is a third seperated from them some way to the west, with a door
in it, so I was wondering what this might be, as it doesnt make any
sense.

Secondly, the other thing ive noticed is that, since liverpool street
mainline station was extended south by about half its size (you can
tell by looking at the dirtyness of the roof, and there is a join in
the brickwork at the far end of the busstops) in 1992, the underground
station entrances would be completely outside the original station. But
looking at some old pictures of the station, there is an entrance road
to the station there, so how did you get to the tube?

Old April 29th 05, 10:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
ups.com...
Now, I know a bit about the history of broadgate, and that it used to
be a mainline station called broad street, and assumed that these might
be the old lift shafts for the broad street entrance to liverpool
street central line tube station, since they seem to be close to above
where the bridge runs over the west end of the eastbound platform.

I believe they are associated with the Central Line substation, the cables
to/from which use an old Broad Street escalator shaft. Whether they
correspond to the old lift-shafts I wouldn't like to say.

Old April 29th 05, 10:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Now, I know a bit about the history of broadgate, and that it used to

be a mainline station called broad street, and assumed that these

might
be the old lift shafts for the broad street entrance to liverpool
street central line tube station, since they seem to be close to

above
where the bridge runs over the west end of the eastbound platform.

I believe they are associated with the Central Line substation, the

cables
to/from which use an old Broad Street escalator shaft. Whether they
correspond to the old lift-shafts I wouldn't like to say.

Ive found this link : http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p13277473.html
that seems to show an entrance to the tube where the two round things
are.

What confuses me really is the third one out on its own on the corner
by bloomfield street.
It seems a bit too far away from the tube to be a lift or a stair
shaft, and its on the wrong side of the main broad street entrance in
the picture (its about where the chunky sign sticks out) so Im puzzled
what it could possibly be.

Old May 7th 05, 12:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article . com,
writes
Secondly, the other thing ive noticed is that, since liverpool street
mainline station was extended south by about half its size (you can
tell by looking at the dirtyness of the roof, and there is a join in
the brickwork at the far end of the busstops) in 1992, the underground
station entrances would be completely outside the original station. But
looking at some old pictures of the station, there is an entrance road
to the station there, so how did you get to the tube?

You are wrong about the extension.

Liverpool Street used to have short platforms (1-8), very long platforms
(9-10), and long platforms (11-18). In 1992 the short platforms were
lengthened but 9 and 10 were cut back and the concourse extended over
them. Um, something like this:

Was:

+-----------------------------------
|--------------------+ =============
L =====9/10 tracks==================
|-----+ =========================
| | =========================
| O | =========================
| |# =========================
+------#----------------------------

with the L showing where the entrance to the Circle Line was and O
indicating office space. The # marks show where there was a staircase up
to Bishopsgate; the "Apples & Pears" pub was underneath it while the
"Jazz" was where I've put the J.

Now:

+-----------------------------------
|-----+ =========================
L =========================
|-----+ =========================
+------#----------------------------

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old May 7th 05, 02:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I meant the central line rather than the circle line - where the
escalators are now is where you have marked "offices" on your plan, but
on a 1980s photo - http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/c483527.html -
there is a road there, rather than a building for "offices".
So I was wondering how you got to the central line, as there doesnt
seem to be any way to go in, or did everyone have to go via broad
street?

Old May 7th 05, 03:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

|--------------------+ =============
L =====9/10 tracks==================
|-----+ =========================
| | =========================
with the L showing where the entrance to the Circle Line was

Indeed, and in the misty past, the track themselves used to carry on.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9767111.html
(303 082 taking the Glossop line off Dinting Viaduct in 1985)
Old May 7th 05, 08:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Chris Tolley
writes
L =====9/10 tracks==================

with the L showing where the entrance to the Circle Line was

Indeed, and in the misty past, the track themselves used to carry on.

No: the ones that connected to the Circle Line were platforms 1 and 2.
That's why, until the rebuild, platform 1 was reached via a footbridge.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old May 7th 05, 08:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article . com,
lonelytraveller writes
I meant the central line rather than the circle line - where the
escalators are now is where you have marked "offices" on your plan, but
on a 1980s photo - http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/c483527.html -
there is a road there, rather than a building for "offices".

That's the cab road (you're dragging back memories here). If you look at
the photo in that gallery showing the Great Eastern Hotel, the train is
on platform 9, the Circle entrance is under the hotel, the offices are
visible on the right.

The picture with the Solari board shows 12 to 18. The roof over these
was removed and replaced by a concrete raft holding up offices. The
present roof is on the other side of the brick arches visible at left.
You can also see the footbridge that took you over 9 and 10 (and all the
way across the station, IIRC).

http://www.photolondon.org.uk/assets/nmr/large/cc73_2309.jpg is
looking down the offices towards the country end; you can see the
footbridge behind the destination board.
http://freepages.nostalgia.rootsweb.com/~cyberheritage/lond22.jpg is
looking towards the offices from platform 5. The white building above
the platform number is a bistro, with the footbridge behind it.

http://www.ben****ers.org/images/fro...reetstation.jp
shows platform 9. You can see cars behind platform 10; I think the cab
road came down there.

So I was wondering how you got to the central line, as there doesnt
seem to be any way to go in, or did everyone have to go via broad
street?

There was a subsurface ticket hall. Then, IIRC, there were two
passageways leading to staircases. One emerged somewhere around platform
11 - indeed, I believe it's still there - and the other over near 1/2.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old May 7th 05, 09:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 7 May 2005 21:13:09 +0100, Clive D. W. Feather wrote:

In article , Chris Tolley
writes
L =====9/10 tracks==================

with the L showing where the entrance to the Circle Line was

Indeed, and in the misty past, the track themselves used to carry on.

No: the ones that connected to the Circle Line were platforms 1 and 2.
That's why, until the rebuild, platform 1 was reached via a footbridge.

Yes, sir, you're quite right. The memory fades. That's my excuse.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9767193.html
(318 252 at Glasgow Central in 1991)
Old May 8th 05, 02:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

there are some passages like that now for the other entrance to the
tube (the one with escalators going both ways, left and right), but
they would have been outside the building on the cab road in 1985,
unless they moved them. I guess that ticket office itself would have
been just inside, as I think its dead in the centre of the whole
station now, so I suppose they could have moved them, but Id have
thought it would have been more sensible to just have steps straight
into it, or have made the escalators go to the surface or something,
and come out just by the offices, unless it was under platform 9?

But if thats the case, then why did they build it in the one place
inside the station they couldn't get to the surface?.