Old July 18th 03, 01:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Dot Matrix replaces big boards at L/Pool St

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 14:19:41 +0100 Dave wrote:
} Boltar writes
}
} I believe it was mentioned in Metro once.
}
} Oh right. Well, we've already seen what you 'believe' to be true...
}
} Does the station manager have all the bits tucked away in the back room?
}
} Of course they do. A huge-big ****-off cupboard, with all the parts
} required to replace every single escalator on the system.

It's just of Vine Street Bridge which I've always thought rather ironic
as the station nearest has no escalators.

Matthew
--
Il est important d'être un homme ou une femme en colère; le jour où nous
quitte la colère, ou le désir, c'est cuit. - Barbara

http://www.calmeilles.co.uk/

Old July 19th 03, 02:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave" wrote in message
Boltar writes
Sit down, have a nice cup of tea, put on your thinking cap, concentrate
*really* hard and you might just work it out.

Save the patronising for someone whos impressed by it. Just give us some
information as to why these escalators are so different from all others

in
the world. If you have any that is which I doubt.

It's so damn obvious that if you cant work it out, you must be a bit
thick.

Patronizing tone aside, am I correct in thinking that you're referring to
the levels of usage? Fenchurch Street has approximately one arrival and one
departure every ten minutes, meaning that each escalator is carrying the
passengers for approximately six trains every hour. A station like Tottenham
Court Road, in comparison, will be catering for more like forty trains every
hour - which are, I suspect, longer, and certainly more heavily used than
the C2C trains.

So the wear and tear experienced by escalators at key LUL stations is going
to be a hell of a lot greater than that at Fenchurch Street.

They're also a lot longer.

Jonn Elledge

Old July 19th 03, 09:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jonn Elledge writes
It's so damn obvious that if you cant work it out, you must be a bit
thick.

Patronizing tone aside,

I make no apologies for patronising people who have previously been
patronising towards me and who are also brainless idiots.

am I correct in thinking that you're referring to the levels of usage?
Fenchurch Street has approximately one arrival and one departure every
ten minutes, meaning that each escalator is carrying the passengers for
approximately six trains every hour. A station like Tottenham Court
Road, in comparison, will be catering for more like forty trains every
hour - which are, I suspect, longer, and certainly more heavily used
than the C2C trains.

So the wear and tear experienced by escalators at key LUL stations is
going to be a hell of a lot greater than that at Fenchurch Street.

They're also a lot longer.

Those reasons and more. One major reason being the location.

It's easy to forget that they are deep underground, which is not the
most easily-accessible place. Especially when it comes to replacing a
huge solidly-built escalator th at has been in situ since the 1930s.

http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/faq/escexplain.asp

or if you have time to spare;
http://www.lrb.co.uk/v24/n05/camp01_.html

--