Old May 15th 05, 10:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Route displays (was: Route 73 - no longer better from every angle)

On 14 May 2005 16:07:02 -0700, wrote:

What about the backlit (LCD?) type displays that are in use in other
parts of Europe? These give really superior contrast to either the
front-lit flipdot type or LEDs (which, IMO, always look too dark.)
Albeit with a slight drop of contrast when viewed at extreme angles.

They do work, but suffer from very slow refresh rates, are more
expensive to maintain and less robust. They are used on some trains
(e.g. Networker Turbos), but seem to be a mid-late 90s fad and are
rare in new railway equipment these days.

And, as for roller-blind displays, they are completely unreadable
when they get dirty. Changing them all to a funny yellow colour in
the mid-90s didn't help. (Wasn't that about the time that the rest of
the continent started digitizing its displays?)

And many local bus companies in the UK. New Stagecoach buses have
been flipdot since the mid 1990s. That said, flipdot is a poor
technology, IMO - too many moving parts, and capable of wrong-side
failure (i.e. stuck showing wrong information). LED is far superior
in both these respects.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain

Old May 15th 05, 10:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Route 73 - no longer better from every angle

"Chris!" typed

Some of the new deckers have a CCTV camera peering out the front window
with a display on the inside. Also, on all deckers you can see out the
front windows upstairs but of course some people are unable to get
upstairs

Some people are unable to get up the stairs. Far more are unwilling.
There'd be little downstairs crowding if those who could go upstairs
did...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old May 15th 05, 10:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mrs Redboots typed

Chris! wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 15 May 2005:

Some of the new deckers have a CCTV camera peering out the front window
with a display on the inside. Also, on all deckers you can see out the
front windows upstairs but of course some people are unable to get
upstairs

Indeed, and although I'm still quite capable of climbing the stairs, I
don't always want to!

I am *just* able to climb the stairs. I sometimes _have_ to.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old May 15th 05, 11:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Neil Williams writes:
... New Stagecoach buses have
been flipdot since the mid 1990s. That said, flipdot is a poor
technology, IMO - too many moving parts, and capable of wrong-side
failure (i.e. stuck showing wrong information). LED is far superior
in both these respects.

Agreed -- and on top of all that, the dots are just too large, so it's
often necessary to cycle between 2, 3, or 4 displays to show all the
text they need to.

Here in Toronto, most of the TTC bus fleet now has flip-dots, which
generally replaced roller blinds in the 1980s; I sympathize with
the desire to cut costs, but I've always found the result highly
unsatisfactory. New buses in the last few years have LEDs, and
these are way better.

I saw a surprising failure mode the other day, by the way, on a bus
on the 320 Yonge night route. Its flip-dot front sign was showing the
correct route; I forget the exact wording, but it might have been
cycling between "ROUTE 320", "YONGE BLUE NIGHT", and "TO STEELES".
But the side sign on the same bus, which is controlled from the same
panel, was showing 32 Eglinton West. And it wasn't a case of the
flip-dots being frozen, either -- it was cycling between "32 EGLINTON
WEST" and "TO EGLINTON STN"!

Our subway [underground] and streetcar systems do still have roller
blinds, as their routes are a lot more stable; so did our trolleybuses
until they were withdrawn. The Scarborough RT, a light railway with
only one route, has no destination signs on the vehicles at all.
--
Mark Brader "'You wanted it to WORK? That costs EXTRA!'
Toronto is probably the second-place security hole

Old May 15th 05, 11:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Neil Williams writes:
I've also seen Belgian buses at termini with a very clever variation
on the theme - all blinds show a countdown to departure in minutes.
Very useful.

Ah, Belgium. That reminds me of another advantage of roller blinds,
which they take advantage of in Brussels:

http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/be/...000/7016-2.jpg
http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/be/...000/BRUSS1.jpg
http://www.xdinet.demon.co.uk/rail/pics3/BR7759.jpg
http://www.xdinet.demon.co.uk/rail/pics3/BR7796.jpg

Note the use of colour, enabling the route to be picked out more quickly.
The routes are shown on the system map using the same colours. Sadly,
their newest vehicles have monochromatic digital displays (LCD, I think).

In Toronto, the roller blinds used to look like this:

http://www.transittoronto.org/images/bus-8704-31.jpg
http://www.transittoronto.org/images/bus-8000-86.jpg

These would be 1960s or 1970s pictures. The yellow block with the route
number was easily spotted; the red block showed the route's two endpoints.
(However, in the last years before the change from blinds to flip-dots,
costs were reduced by changing to plain white-on-black.)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Men! Give them enough rope and they'll dig

Old May 16th 05, 09:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 15 May 2005:

"Chris!" typed

Some of the new deckers have a CCTV camera peering out the front window
with a display on the inside. Also, on all deckers you can see out the
front windows upstairs but of course some people are unable to get
upstairs

Some people are unable to get up the stairs. Far more are unwilling.
There'd be little downstairs crowding if those who could go upstairs
did...

The trouble is that if you are only going a couple of stops (and the use
of passes encourages this, I'm afraid), it's hardly worthwhile going
upstairs, since by the time you have, it's time to turn round and come
downstairs again, given that bus drivers don't believe you want to get
off if you aren't standing by the doors when the bus pulls away from the
stop before yours! And if you have a lot of shopping, or luggage, then
you don't particularly want to go upstairs (although if I'm coming back
from the West End I do, since I wouldn't enjoy such a long bus journey
downstairs). And, as you so rightly say, not everybody is able to climb
the stairs, particularly when the bus is moving.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old May 16th 05, 10:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mrs Redboots typed

[...]

I think staying downstairs for a short hop is fine. Clogging the lobby
or sitting on 'Priority Seats' when fit and spry, for miles and miles is
not.

And if you have a lot of shopping, or luggage, then
you don't particularly want to go upstairs (although if I'm coming back
from the West End I do, since I wouldn't enjoy such a long bus journey
downstairs).

You aren't one of the yoofertoday, who seem to be the worst offenders.

And, as you so rightly say, not everybody is able to climb
the stairs, particularly when the bus is moving.

True the point is that those that can, often don't.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old May 16th 05, 12:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
Mrs Redboots typed

[...]

In my experience everyone is as bad as each other at clogging up the
downstairs bit. If you try and get a bus from outside a suburban train
station at about 6pm the whole downstairs section is clogged up with
suites whilst the upstairs is empty