Old May 23rd 05, 09:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Route 73 - no longer better from every angle

Neil Williams ) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying :

(Of course, if the bus is correctly pulled into the stop you wouldn't
be able to, but that is beside the point, and sometimes a bus can't
pull all the way in due to inconsiderately parked cars, for example).

Which is, of course, far more often with a BloatiBus than with a bus that
isn't such a laughable length.

Old May 23rd 05, 09:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

Why do these problems only seem to arise with bendies and not with
conventional length buses?

Because the bendies have to use far more of the road due to their
unwieldiness.
Old May 23rd 05, 11:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
. uk...
It least that confirms TfL's claims about quicker boarding. Is it
really a "nightmare" to have to wait a few seconds behind the bus until
it moves off again?

I ride through here on many weekday mornings, and TBH I don't really have
any safety issues with it. However, time and again I get delayed on the
approach to turning left into Judd Street because you have one or more bendy
buses stopped in the left-hand lane which need to move rightwards and have
difficulty getting in to the traffic flow because of their length. I feel
sorry for cars in this situation - at least on a bicycle you can make up the
lost time by walking the bike past the red traffic lights.

There's also a major problem outside Holborn station, where there are almost
invariably delivery vans of one sort of another parked near the bus stops,
again causing buses (particularly the bendy buses on route 521?) to block
the road. The effects of this can be seen right back to Russell Square on a
bad morning.

Old May 23rd 05, 12:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 23 May 2005, David Splett wrote:

"Richard J." wrote in message
. uk...

It least that confirms TfL's claims about quicker boarding. Is it
really a "nightmare" to have to wait a few seconds behind the bus until
it moves off again?

I ride through here on many weekday mornings,

Me too. Any other King's Cross cyclists on this froup?

and TBH I don't really have any safety issues with it. However, time and
again I get delayed on the approach to turning left into Judd Street
because you have one or more bendy buses stopped in the left-hand lane
which need to move rightwards and have difficulty getting in to the
traffic flow because of their length. I feel sorry for cars in this
situation - at least on a bicycle you can make up the lost time by
walking the bike past the red traffic lights.

Hang on, though - that left-turn tailback is as often as not due to a
normal bus, at least when i'm there. I think it's just a really nasty bit
of road - a bus stop, a turning, lights and however many lanes of traffic,
all in one go.

I'd like to see the bus stop moved to the west side of Judd street, and an
ASL installed to the east with a feeder lane running between the bus lane
(which would usually be full of buses waiting for the lights, making it
little use for cyclists) and the left-hand lane of traffic, so that bikes
can actually get into the reservoir. The traffic's dense enough that the
reservoir would usually be full of cars, though.

tom

--
THE DRUMMER FROM DEF LEPPARD'S ONLY GOT ONE ARM!
Old May 23rd 05, 01:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (David
Splett) wrote:

"Richard J." wrote in message
. uk...
It least that confirms TfL's claims about quicker boarding. Is it
really a "nightmare" to have to wait a few seconds behind the bus
until it moves off again?

I ride through here on many weekday mornings, and TBH I don't really
have any safety issues with it. However, time and again I get delayed
on the approach to turning left into Judd Street because you have one
or more bendy buses stopped in the left-hand lane which need to move
rightwards and have difficulty getting in to the traffic flow because
of their length. I feel sorry for cars in this situation - at least on
a bicycle you can make up the lost time by walking the bike past the
red traffic lights.

Hence the dive off under Camden Town Hall before the lights and miss all
that faffing about.

There's also a major problem outside Holborn station, where there are
almost invariably delivery vans of one sort of another parked near the
bus stops, again causing buses (particularly the bendy buses on route
521?) to block the road. The effects of this can be seen right back to
Russell Square on a bad morning.

Ah! I turn at Russell Square, go past the BM to Bloomsbury Street for St
Martin's Lane. Gave up passing Holborn a very long time ago.

--
Colin Rosenstiel