Old May 17th 05, 12:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Route 73 - no longer better from every angle

Clive D. W. Feather wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 16 May 2005:

In article , David
Cantrell writes
I've not counted them, but I'm fairly sure that *any* of the double
deckers, including RMs, have more seats. Which would show that TfL's
claim that Bendies are more comfortable is a lie.

Comfort is not just seating.

Agreed! If I had to travel on a Bendy every day, I'd probably have to
wear my sea-bands - whereas on top of a double decker, I'm fine on all
but the very longest journey on the very hottest of days! The worst is
standing on a bus where you can't see out because there are too many
people. And if I were in the trailer of the Bendy, I'd probably have to
get out before I'd finished the journey.... I can't bear sitting with my
back to the driver downstairs on a double decker, either.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old May 19th 05, 10:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message

If I had to travel on a Bendy every day, I'd probably have to
wear my sea-bands - whereas on top of a double decker,
I'm fine on all but the very longest journey on the very
hottest of days! The worst is standing on a bus where
you can't see out because there are too many people. And
if I were in the trailer of the Bendy, I'd probably have to get
out before I'd finished the journey.... I can't bear sitting with
my back to the driver downstairs on a double decker, either.
--
"Mrs Redboots"

Maybe your boots were made for walking?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old May 19th 05, 01:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 19 May 2005:

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message

If I had to travel on a Bendy every day, I'd probably have to
wear my sea-bands - whereas on top of a double decker,
I'm fine on all but the very longest journey on the very
hottest of days! The worst is standing on a bus where
you can't see out because there are too many people. And
if I were in the trailer of the Bendy, I'd probably have to get
out before I'd finished the journey.... I can't bear sitting with
my back to the driver downstairs on a double decker, either.
--
"Mrs Redboots"

Maybe your boots were made for walking?

No, but to travel upstairs on a double-decker bus! Which is what I
like..... your mileage, as they say, may vary.

Old May 22nd 05, 09:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." typed

It least that confirms TfL's claims about quicker boarding. Is it
really a "nightmare" to have to wait a few seconds behind the bus until
it moves off again?

The nightmare is when the bendy overtakes the bicycle.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old May 22nd 05, 10:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article ,
(Richard J.) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article ,
(Colin McKenzie) wrote:

For occupants, maybe - fewer falls from platforms. The jury's
still out on their effects on cyclists and motorcyclists.

As a cyclist on Euston Road between King's Cross station and Judd
Street I find the bendies on the 73 such a nightmare that I slip
off under Camden Town Hall into the back streets if I see one
ahead of me.

On a bike you can't pass a bendy at a stop because they are twice
as long as a Routemaster. By the time you get to the front of one
it starts off.

It least that confirms TfL's claims about quicker boarding. Is it
really a "nightmare" to have to wait a few seconds behind the bus
until it moves off again?

They also seem to get closer to the kerb so making it impossible to
pass on the nearside even when they're moving. The nightmare was
the cycle in a triangle signs on the back of a 73 positively
revelling in their bike-unfriendliness.

I'm not familiar with these signs. Are they suggesting to cyclists that
squeezing between the bus and the kerb might be dangerous? Seems
sensible to me. Again, it's only a "nightmare" if you believe that
cyclists deserve priority over buses and their passengers.

--
Richard J.