Old May 24th 05, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

Default Unicycles on the London Underground

in message , Clive
George ') wrote:

"JNugent" wrote in message

If you care to re-read the relevant posts, you will see that the
"non-existent" thing is any mention of "spikes" (except by your good
self).
If unicycles have no hardened steel parts (or bits), please accept my
apologies (though I don't think it will be necessary).

Which parts of a conventional bike are made of hardened steel then?

I don't think there's _any_ steel on either of my favourite bikes except
for the brake and gear cables and the bearing internals. Plenty of
aluminium, plenty of carbon fibre, some titanium... but that's kind of
twisting the issue, because what he meant to say was not '...hardened
steel pointy bits...' but 'hard pointy bits', and those bikes
admittedly do tend to have. But we're not talking about bikes, we're
talking about unicycles, and all the bits of a bike which are hard and
pointy are bits a normal unicycle just does not have.

;; no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn.
;; Jim Morrison

Old May 24th 05, 11:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Malcolm & Nika wrote:
OK...so those of you who have endured the crush on , say, the Victoria line
between Finsbury Park and Victoria, everyday at about 08:30 or any other
line for that matter, what do you suggest should be allowed on and what
should be banned? Only people who use the service should be allowed to vote.

You need to spend a few weeks in Tokyo rush hour to know what a crush
is. My test there of whether a train is crowded is whether I can lift
both feet off the ground without sinking downwards. Plenty of room on
Victoria line trains in rush hour for a few more passengers and a unicycle.

--
Tony

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought" Lord
Peter Wimsey (Dorothy L. Sayers)
Old May 25th 05, 07:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

On Mon, 23 May 2005 23:59:58 GMT,
Call me Bob
wrote in :
On Mon, 23 May 2005 23:41:14 +0100, "Clive George"
wrote:

Never read uk.transport?

Do we get lions on newsgroups?

Only in Kenya!

(Forget Norway)

How could I forget Norway? Especially now you've mentioned it...

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Room 40-1-B12, CERN
Old May 25th 05, 07:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

On 24 May 2005 10:36:13 GMT, David Nutter
On 2005-05-23, JNugent wrote:

Do rucksacks also have hardened steel sharp bits sticking out and/or covered
in black grease as well?

One of mine does (lots of buckles, a metal frame etc). Grease-wise, it's
cotton duck (I think) covered in some stinky wax waterproofing that is wont
to smear everywhere.

It's highly amusing to use the beast on the tube, especially on a hot day
when the wax melts, smells and runs.

Um, what does it smell? And why does it run from it?...

Old May 25th 05, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 24 May 2005 21:51:21 +0100, JNugent wrote:
Ian Smith wrote:

On Tue, 24 May 2005, JNugent wrote:

Road dirt. The stuff that fouls translucent grease and turns it
black, as it does to most of what it comes into contact with, not
excluding clothing.

Really? I did actually have some vague notion about what you might
mean by the term. What I'm more confused about is why, if road dirt
is what upsets you, you decided to start the conversation by
complaining about non-existent hardened steel spikes.

Yes... "spikes" was a bit OTT.

I should have made it clearer that I was referring to cogs. Not quite
spikes, but still hard and fairly pointy. And almost always greasy and dirty
(relative to clothing).

And, of course, almost always entirely absent from unicycles.

regards, Ian SMith

Old May 25th 05, 02:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

David Nutter wrote:

when the wax melts, smells and runs.

There's a book on punctuation waiting to get out of that phrase ;-)

Old May 25th 05, 05:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Tony Raven wrote:

David Nutter wrote:

when the wax melts, smells and runs.

There's a book on punctuation waiting to get out of that phrase ;-)

LOL

Old May 25th 05, 11:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

On Tue, 24 May 2005, Tom Anderson wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:

Can you take a unicycle on the London Underground?

I know, i'll email TfL.

TfL said:

"You will be able to transport a uni-cycle as long as it is less than 2
meters in length and if you can handle it easily in he event of an
emergency."

So now you know.

tom

--
The revolution will not be televised. The revolution will be live.
Old May 26th 05, 05:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

On Thu, 26 May 2005 00:38:02 +0100 someone who may be Tom Anderson
wrote this:-

TfL said:

"You will be able to transport a uni-cycle as long as it is less than 2
meters in length and if you can handle it easily in he event of an
emergency."

So now you know.

Basic knowledge for all readers now.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
Old May 26th 05, 07:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Tom Anderson wrote:

TfL said:

"You will be able to transport a uni-cycle as long as it is less than 2
meters in length and if you can handle it easily in he event of an
emergency."

So now you know.

tom

SFX