Old June 16th 05, 12:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Default London to Brighton bike ride next week (blatant plug for me!)

The Caretaker wrote:

JohnB wrote:

One had the front quick release done up finger tight - it was clear no
spanner had been used.

Why would a spanner be used on a quick release?

Of course you are right.

slaps head with wet fish

The quick release mechanism should be tightened by means of the QR lever.
Some people turn the lever like using a spanner to hold the wheel in place.
Of course the leverage is far less than using a spanner on ordinary
wheel nuts.

I suspect they think of the QR lever in the same way as they do a spanner.

Thanks to the US litigation culture many bikes have those 'lawyers'
lips' on teh fork ends which help prevent a wheel falling out should the
QR not be tight enough, but then they negate much of the purpose of the
QR in the first place.

John B

Old June 16th 05, 01:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

How old is she?

Nearly 8

Be aware that anything with any suspension for that price is a mechanical
disaster area. You'll either spend large amounts of time trying to keep it
working and swearing at the crap materials they've used (bolts made of
cheese etc), or it'll just stop working.

Why? - never had suspension problems with powered 2 wheelers

Old June 16th 05, 01:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, Martin wrote:

Be aware that anything with any suspension for that price is a
mechanical disaster area. You'll either spend large amounts of time
trying to keep it working and swearing at the crap materials they've
used (bolts made of cheese etc), or it'll just stop working.

Why? - never had suspension problems with powered 2 wheelers

You've probably never bought suspension that cheap for a powered
two-wheeler. Seriously, if you're getting a complete bike with boingy
forks for under a ton, the forks themselves are probably 10 or 20 quid,
which is basically buying you two bits of gaspipe with a sockful of old
rubbers inside, held together with gaffer tape and wishful thinking.
You're far, far better off sticking with rigid forks, which will give you
just as a good a ride, soak up less power, give you more control and take
less looking after. Suspension forks don't get good until you're in the
several tens of pounds range at the very least.

That's just my 2p, anyway. Someone'll doubtless jump in and tell you that
shocks costing less than 250 UKP aren't worth bothering with ...

tom

--
Punk's not sexual, it's just aggression.
Old June 16th 05, 02:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

In message , JohnB writes
I am sure some stores have competent mechanics, but whenever I hear of
someone with a bike from Halfords my heart sinks. I'd advise you go to
your local real bike shop first, where you should receive better advice
on what would be best, together with back up service.

I bought a bike from Halfords for my grandson but couldn't have it for
two hours as it had to be assembled by properly trained mechanics. I
got the bike three and a half hours later. On getting home I found
that the front wheel was not properly attached to the forks, and spent
the next couple of days taking it apart and reassembling it without the
instructions as Halfords had kindly removed these for safety purposes.
--
Clive
Old June 16th 05, 04:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
h.li...

That's just my 2p, anyway. Someone'll doubtless jump in and tell you that
shocks costing less than 250 UKP aren't worth bothering with ...

I paid £120 for my bike and it's got lovely shocks.

But that's EBay for you ;-) 4 year old Scott midrange hybrid. Needed a new
chain and a bit of tweaking... for the amount I ride it it's perfect. And
about £300 less than a new one would have been!

But then my latest car was a £250 EBay bargain too - I fancied taking a
chance for a change...

Old June 17th 05, 10:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

I bought a bike from Halfords for my grandson but couldn't have it for
two hours as it had to be assembled by properly trained mechanics. I
got the bike three and a half hours later. On getting home I found
that the front wheel was not properly attached to the forks, and spent
the next couple of days taking it apart and reassembling it without the

instructions as Halfords had kindly removed these for safety purposes.

I'd insist on the instructions!

I'd also very carefully check a bike first

Old June 17th 05, 07:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 244.170...
chris harrison ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

I've never spent five grand on a car.
I've only once spent more than HALF that on a car.

You are not average in this regard amongst car drivers ....

And five grand is an average bicycle?

Also not average, but not unimaginable.

So where did "average" come into it? Although I'd suspect that it's *FAR*
more common to buy inexpensive cars than expensive bikes...

It goes a lot further than that same 5 grand spent on a car

How? Seriously - genuine question. I'm *baffled* about what a £5k bike
will
do that a £500 one won't.

It will use more expensive rarer metals and carbon fibres etc., burning much
more resources to build. It will still have the same wheezy **** powering it
though.

Old June 18th 05, 09:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Adrian wrote:

JohnB ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

Are you going to withdraw that allegation?

No, I don't think I will, thanks.

A man who throws around unfounded remarks is a man with no honour :-(
Respect level: Zilch.

John B
Old June 18th 05, 12:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

JohnB ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

Are you going to withdraw that allegation?

No, I don't think I will, thanks.

A man who throws around unfounded remarks is a man with no honour :-(
Respect level: Zilch.

Tell you what, John - you explain the calculations that I apparently
misunderstood, and I'll consider withdrawing the comment. How's that?

Until you can or will do that...