Old June 16th 05, 06:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Default London to Brighton bike ride next week (blatant plug for me!)

"Chris" wrote in message
Huge wrote:

Well, it would be, cyclists not being acustomed to actually paying for
anything, given that they use the roads and the trains for nothing.

I'm a 40% tax payer, a paid-up motorist, and a cyclist. I pay for the
roads just as much anyone.

You really are as thick as **** aren't you?

******.

Should there not be a " -- " just before your sig?

--
IanH

Old June 16th 05, 08:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Adrian wrote:
chris harrison ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

Can you get a new bike for 100 quid, "worth having"?

I would never recommend anyone spend "just" 100 quid on a new bike.

aren't you agreeing with what my position has been all along?

There's your answer to your question, then... g

But I'll bet a much higher percentage of new bikes are the £100-250 end of
the market than £5k cars are of new cars.

Maybe, but that just underlines the bike as an economical convenient
means of transport!

You're still talking a fraction of the similar amounts for cars

Oh, absolutely. That's undeniable. But... five grand... on a bike...?!?

Hold on (again) - we've been here before :-D
Old June 16th 05, 09:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Adrian wrote:

JohnB ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

Are you going to withdraw that allegation?

No, I don't think I will, thanks.

Clearly a man with no honour.

You really shouldn't make things up.
One day you'll end up flat on your back.

John B
Old June 16th 05, 09:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Adrian wrote:

But you're failing to explain to me what spending all that cash on a
bike *does* other than make you feel warm and fluffy and all Lance
Armstrong.

Comfort and handling mainly. The expensive bike is loads more
comfortable at certain critical moments, and is easier to keep
upright.

So it's perfectly acceptible to ride to the limits of handling on public
roads? OK...

He didn't say that at all.

I suspect you don't ride a bike very much - if at all.

John B
Old June 16th 05, 09:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

I would never recommend anyone spend "just" 100 quid on a new bike.

Double that to get acceptable. Double *that* to get tolerable. Double
*that* to get reasonable.

The Halfords jobs look OK and are under £100 - been looking for my daughter

Old June 16th 05, 09:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

If I mention that the last bike I bought cost 450 quid in tax on frame and
fork alone (ok, front hub too), will you go all astounded at that? But I

bet
you wouldn't find an equivalent cheaper.

My first motorbike was £450 brand new and that was worth having!

GP100 sport

Old June 16th 05, 11:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

"Martin" wrote in message
I would never recommend anyone spend "just" 100 quid on a new bike.

Double that to get acceptable. Double *that* to get tolerable. Double
*that* to get reasonable.

The Halfords jobs look OK and are under £100 - been looking for my
daughter

How old is she?

Be aware that anything with any suspension for that price is a mechanical
disaster area. You'll either spend large amounts of time trying to keep it
working and swearing at the crap materials they've used (bolts made of
cheese etc), or it'll just stop working.

They may 'look OK', but are you looking with an experienced eye?

cheers,
clive

Old June 16th 05, 11:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Martin wrote:

I would never recommend anyone spend "just" 100 quid on a new bike.

Double that to get acceptable. Double *that* to get tolerable. Double
*that* to get reasonable.

The Halfords jobs look OK and are under £100 - been looking for my daughter

Is this for a young child?
Their play bikes may be OK but the rest, at that price, are just not
worth it.

They are very likely to be made of poor materials and aimed at being
sold to the inexperienced.
yes, the bikes will 'look' OK, but the aim is to sell on features and
image, not quality.
For example, children will cry out "it must have suspension" because
suspension looks 'cool', yet at that price it will be more truoble than
its worth.
After a couple of months, perhaps less, you will probably be rueing the
day you bought the bike and it will be left unused at teh back of teh shed.

Last Sunday I had two children for cycle-training who had recently been
bought new bikes from Halfords.
One had the front quick release done up finger tight - it was clear no
spanner had been used.
It could have dropped out if a bump or pot-hole had been hit
The other had handlebars that were so loose as to be lethal.

Both bikes were also completely the wrong size.

These are not isolated incidents.

I am sure some stores have competent mechanics, but whenever I hear of
someone with a bike from Halfords my heart sinks. I'd advise you go to
your local real bike shop first, where you should receive better advice
on what would be best, together with back up service.

That said you may be lucky.

John B
Old June 16th 05, 12:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

JohnB wrote:

One had the front quick release done up finger tight - it was clear no
spanner had been used.

Why would a spanner be used on a quick release?

--
The Caretaker .........
Old June 16th 05, 12:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

The Caretaker wrote:

JohnB wrote:

One had the front quick release done up finger tight - it was clear no
spanner had been used.

Why would a spanner be used on a quick release?

Of course you are right.

the quick release should be tightened by means of the lever.
Some people turn the lever like using a spanner to hold the wheel in place.
Of course the leverage is far less than using a spnner on ordinary wheel nuts.

i suspect they think of the QR lever in teh same way as they do a spanner.