Old July 4th 05, 10:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Mornington Crescent

Ian F. wrote:
"Michael Hoffman" wrote in message

You can't? I've always gone from Euston Square to Southwark on a
Bakerloo-Line-starting game. What rule are you talking about?

That'll be according to the Whiting-Bellamy confederation.

Well under the Whiting-Bellamy Confederation (capital C, please), you
can't go to Earl's Court after 9:30 a.m. on a working day, which means
your earlier maneuver would be illegal.
--
Michael Hoffman

Old July 4th 05, 11:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Michael Hoffman wrote:
Ian F. wrote:
"Michael Hoffman" wrote in message

You can't? I've always gone from Euston Square to Southwark on a
Bakerloo-Line-starting game. What rule are you talking about?

That'll be according to the Whiting-Bellamy confederation.

Well under the Whiting-Bellamy Confederation (capital C, please), you
can't go to Earl's Court after 9:30 a.m. on a working day, which means
your earlier maneuver would be illegal.

This being a thoroughly English game/pastime/whathaveyou may we limit
ourselves to English language usage please? It rather spoils the fun for the
onlookers d'you see?

"maneuver" indeed, pah!!

Old July 5th 05, 12:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Kat wrote:
Ian F. wrote:
"Jonathan Davies" wrote in message

Barking.

Oh-oh! I feel a Heathrow Terminal 4 manoeuvre coming on...

I don't think you can use stations that are closed...

Well, that's an impossibly general statement for a refined game such
as Mornington Crescent. It's true that most gameplay in England up
to about 1967 barred moves to closed stations, save in cases which
were clearly Mixed Reverse Translocation, but since then the popularity
of Hawkins' variant has made it much more likely that a move to a
*temporarily* closed station would be permitted as an expression of
the prior recessional move. And most Canadian games of Mornington
Crescent have always permitted closed stations in play.

Of course we have all heard of the impossibly trendy Farquharson
amendment which treats closed stations as wild.

Therefore I move to:

Holborn Viaduct.

--
http://www.election.demon.co.uk
"We can also agree that Saddam Hussein most certainly has chemical and biolog-
Old July 5th 05, 06:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Michael Hoffman" wrote in message

Well under the Whiting-Bellamy Confederation (capital C, please),

I'm using the south London configuration of 'confederation'.

you can't go to Earl's Court after 9:30 a.m. on a working day,

Smithsonian Wednesday rules allow it in certain circumstances, but I'm not
sure, to be honest, if this is one of them. Could someone please advise?

Ian

Old July 5th 05, 07:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 23:12:11 +0100, Kat
wrote:

I don't think you can use stations that are closed...

Mornington Crescent was closed for quite some time - the game was not
banned in that period!

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain

Old July 5th 05, 08:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ian F." wrote in message
"Michael Hoffman" wrote in message

You can't? I've always gone from Euston Square to Southwark on a
Bakerloo-Line-starting game. What rule are you talking about?

That'll be according to the Whiting-Bellamy confederation.

Ian

Pre1974 (and as all experienced players will know) the Whiting-Bellamy
accord was the loophole to get from Euston Square to Southwark in a Bakerloo
line or non-Bakerloo line starting game. As the London convention rule
amendment conference declared in December 1973 "As a majority of rule
adjudicators have declared the official recognition of 'nip' as a bona fide
amendment to the rule and spirit of the game the Whiting-Bellamy accord
shall henceforth be changed to the Whiting-Bellamy confederation (with a
small c). Any move 'over the river' can only be made if a player is in 'nip'
as determined by this rule change.

I hope that clears that one up!

Giles

Old July 5th 05, 08:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Soulbass" wrote in message

I hope that clears that one up!

I understand now, Giles. Many thanks.

Ian

Old July 5th 05, 08:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I understand now, Giles. Many thanks.

Ian

Glad to have been of some service to you.

Now, can anybody explain 'Nip'?

Giles

Old July 5th 05, 09:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Soulbass" wrote in message

Now, can anybody explain 'Nip'?

Are we allowing swiving?

Ian

Old July 5th 05, 09:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ian F." wrote in message

"Soulbass" wrote in
message ...

Now, can anybody explain 'Nip'?

Are we allowing swiving?

Ian

Ian,

do you mean swiving under the Québécoise/French Canadian rules, Pre '74
Whiting-Bellamy accord rules or open-play swiving?

I understood that swiving was only allowed in a game that started from Blake
Hall, but as that station has been closed for some time and you are still
managing to swiv, think you may find that you are the greatest exponent of
this lost (and by me) much missed art.

(I can dip in and out of this game all day!! I work from home. What's your
excuse?)

Giles