Old July 5th 05, 10:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Mornington Crescent

In message , Soulbass
writes

"Ian F." wrote in message

"Soulbass" wrote in
message ...

Now, can anybody explain 'Nip'?

Are we allowing swiving?

Ian

Ian,

do you mean swiving under the Québécoise/French Canadian rules, Pre '74
Whiting-Bellamy accord rules or open-play swiving?

I understood that swiving was only allowed in a game that started from Blake
Hall, but as that station has been closed for some time and you are still
managing to swiv, think you may find that you are the greatest exponent of
this lost (and by me) much missed art.

(I can dip in and out of this game all day!! I work from home. What's your
excuse?)

Giles

What about Sir Henry Cruns exceptions - if someone can explain it
properly to a newbie like me!

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England

Old July 5th 05, 11:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Soulbass" wrote in message

do you mean swiving under the Québécoise/French Canadian rules, Pre '74
Whiting-Bellamy accord rules or open-play swiving?

Open-play. I'm not sure the others still apply following the publication of
Stovold's Rules and Origins.

I understood that swiving was only allowed in a game that started from
Blake Hall, but as that station has been closed for some time and you are
still managing to swiv, think you may find that you are the greatest
exponent of this lost (and by me) much missed art.

I do my best. ;-)

(I can dip in and out of this game all day!! I work from home. What's your
excuse?)

I work from home! But I'm off out soon, so maybe we should call it quits
now.

Mornington Crescent!

Ian

Old July 5th 05, 11:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

tim (moved to sweden) wrote:
"Ian F." wrote in message

"Nick Leverton" wrote in message

Waterloo (sunset)!

That has a ring of 'Gruntfuttock's Posture' about it.

Euston Square.

I challenge anyone to prove that you're not making this up as you go along

:-(

tim

Is that a new station on the Docklands Railway?
Old July 5th 05, 01:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian F. wrote:

Mornington Crescent!

Damn.
--
Michael Hoffman
Old July 5th 05, 01:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Michael Hoffman wrote:

Ian F. wrote:

Mornington Crescent!

Damn.

That was a good little match, chaps. Funnily enough, the opening was
rather reminiscent of Brooke-Taylor's devastating attack in his match
against IBM's Deep Tube computer back in '99.

tom

--
This isn't right. This isn't even wrong.

Old July 5th 05, 02:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , David
Boothroyd writes
Of course we have all heard of the impossibly trendy Farquharson
amendment which treats closed stations as wild.

Therefore I move to:

Holborn Viaduct.

South Kentish Town (Courtesy of the Betjeman variation, obviously).

--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old July 5th 05, 02:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Soulbass
writes
Pre1974 (and as all experienced players will know) the Whiting-Bellamy
accord was the loophole to get from Euston Square to Southwark in a
Bakerloo line or non-Bakerloo line starting game.

No, that amendment was actually introduced in 1965, to coincide with the
creation of the Greater London Council. It was not widely adopted by
non London players until 1973, when local government reform reached the
rest of England and Wales, finally reaching Scotland with their reforms
in 1974.

Old July 5th 05, 02:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Tom
Anderson writes
That was a good little match, chaps. Funnily enough, the opening was
rather reminiscent of Brooke-Taylor's devastating attack in his match
against IBM's Deep Tube computer back in '99.

Tea all over monitor.......

Old July 5th 05, 05:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
In message , Soulbass
writes
Pre1974 (and as all experienced players will know) the Whiting-Bellamy
accord was the loophole to get from Euston Square to Southwark in a
Bakerloo line or non-Bakerloo line starting game.

No, that amendment was actually introduced in 1965, to coincide with the
creation of the Greater London Council. It was not widely adopted by non
London players until 1973, when local government reform reached the rest
of England and Wales, finally reaching Scotland with their reforms in
1974.

--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

How could I have made such a schoolboy error and committed it to print?!! It
always catches me out that Pre'74 is in fact Post'65 within the old GLC
boundary. Sorry for any confusion caused.

Giles