Old July 25th 05, 03:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default "The Tube" TV Show

"Stimpy" wrote in message
On 24/7/05 23:40, "steve" wrote:

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 10:54:19 -0700, bowroaduk wrote:

More exhibitionists and wannabe Big Brother house inmates having their
15
minutes of fame.

No, used to be a non-pop music show focusing on bands that could play
live

Oddly enough, that's how I remember it but, based on old VHS's and the new
'best of DVD', there was a lot of miming and contemporary pop on there as
well.

Having said that, in it's day it definitely had the 'weekend starts here'
feel about it.

I think bowroaduk was thinking of 'The Word' rather than 'The Tube'

The Tube used to be produced at Tyne-Tees' City Road Studios when my wife
worked there back in 1982. The first series was almost entirely live, either
from Studio 5, which had been purpose-built for it, or from the 'Egypt
Cottage' pub, which was between the main building and Studio 5 (the owner
refused to sell, but let TTTV use the place for acts like Tom Waits) Later
series used a lot of pre-recorded video, as well as stuff fed in from
outside- made for a surreal experience when this happened if you were on the
studio floor, as there wasn't always a monitor to watch. Quite a lot of
bands had their first live TV airing there, such as Frankie Goes To
Hollywood and U2. Quite bizzare sometimes to go and pick herself up at work
and find piles of autograph seekers outside...
One of the early presenters, Gary Mewis, was a 'real' Tube driver, who used
to belt up to Newcastle after work on Fridays- I bumped into him some years
after, when he was training crew at Eurotunnel.
Quite a few people who cut their teeth on the Tube went on to work on other
TV music programmes- Chris Cowie on TOTP for one, Geof Wonfer for another.
Brian

Old July 25th 05, 03:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 01:49:27 +0100, Charles Ellson
wrote:

I can't find Deptford on my map of Newcastle. Is it somewhere toward
the south ?

Try Sunderland, on the south bank of the Wear. Round about the glass
factories.
--
Terry Harper
Website Coordinator, The Omnibus Society
Old July 25th 05, 06:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:

I can't find Deptford on my map of Newcastle. Is it somewhere toward
the south ?

Try Sunderland, on the south bank of the Wear. Round about the glass
factories.

Unless someone's been fibbing about where Jules was born ITYF the
Ravensbourne is a bit nearer the mark.
Old July 25th 05, 08:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Joe wrote:
If you acquire a digibox, you can see it on Sky Travel.

I know, but they are episodes from the old (series 1&2) and I am
interested in when the new series starts on ITV, because I know they
did some filming earlier in the year.

Ps: I havent seen it on sky Travel for a good few weeks now

It was being shown by 'Reality TV' fairly recently

Old July 29th 05, 10:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

I was referring to the present ITV series "The Tube" which features the
exhibitionists etc mentioned earlier. I also fondly remember "The Tube"
from the 1980s, but doubt The Jam will be appearing on the current
version or Jools or Paula.

See below for the present series:

The Tube - Series Two

Programme 1 - Underground Crime

This episode follows the British Transport Police's anti-graffiti unit
as they go on the trail of TOX, the Tube's most elusive graffiti
vandal. After causing thousands of pounds worth of damage to London's
tube system, will he get his just desserts? We also follow the ticket
inspectors on the trains and at Camden Town as they crack down on
fare-dodgers.

Programme 2 - Mind the Gap

Programme 2 follows mother-of-six Jackie Blanchard as she transforms
herself from St Albans housewife into a Station Assistant at one of the
Undergrounds most notorious stations - Kings Cross St Pancras. As
part of her training she has to face her worst fear and walk across 630
volts of live track. We are also with the engineers as they are called
out to work on the track in a live Central line tunnel with a trainload
of frustrated passengers stuck behind them.

Programme 3 - Under Pressure

In this programme we see the effect a suicide attempt at Victoria has
on a Circle Line driver - will he ever be able to drive again? We're
also with the British Transport Police as they try to keep bitter rival
football fans apart on a Victoria line platform, and we're back at
Kings Cross St Pancras to find out how mother-of-six Jackie Blanchard
is coping with a traumatic first week of delays and abusive customers.

Programme 4 - The Ups and Downs

In this show we visit one of the Underground's 43 abandoned tube
stations, and follow the painful process of getting a broken escalator
moving while coping with life at Brixton Station. At the Tube's
flagship station, Canary Wharf, the pressure is mounting to get the
unused East End of the station open for passenger use. With the Mayor,
Ken Livingstone, coming to open it in a matter of days and work still
unfinished, will they make it in time?

Programme 5 - Open All Hours

This evening, we see what it takes to replace 4000 tonnes of ballast,
1600 sleepers, and over 1300 metres of new Piccadilly line track in
just six days. And just two weeks after the Madrid terrorist bombings,
an unattended bag on a Piccadilly Line train causes frayed nerves and a
station evacuation.

Programme 6 - All Change Please

In this episode we join trainee driver Terence as he gets to grips with
a 160-ton Northern Line train for the first time, and 60-year-old Keith
Tibbles retires from the world of train driving after 44 years on the
job. Train Manager Andy Hogg is out with his speed gun to check his
Circle Line drivers are doing things by the book.

Old July 30th 05, 08:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

'Down in the Tube Station at Midnight' might be quite apposite.......
Brian

Old July 30th 05, 10:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"BH Williams" wrote in message

'Down in the Tube Station at Midnight' might be quite apposite.......

Sadly 'A Bomb In Wardour Street' seems more appropriate lately!

Old July 30th 05, 10:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Town Called Malice", "It's Too Bad" followed by "Scrape
Away"....police are looking for "The Man In The Corner Shop"?
(That's enough bad taste - ED)