Old August 1st 05, 11:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Don't worry, it's not a bomb!

In message , Paul Corfield
writes
I can think of only two occasions when I have left something unattended
- and they were both while on holiday in other countries. I really,
really struggle to understand how people can leave stuff unattended or
behind in normal circumstances never mind those we are in now. Anyone
got a clue as to how people do it?

No.

As I think I've written here before, I once had a client leave behind an
artificial foot on a coach after a tour.

The LT Lost Property Office is a pretty amazing place. (I suspect Paul
may have visited it?!) items "lost" over the years have included a bag
of human bones, a stuffed gorilla and - apparently - the front end of a
Ford Escort (although I have only anecdotal evidence for the latter).

--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Old August 1st 05, 11:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 06:25:33 -0500, wrote:

Get to Chalk Farm NB last night.

Departing passenger knocks on cab door "There's an unattended
rucksack on this car".

[snip]
I am told by a detrained passenger that the rucksack was left
unattended at Mornington Crescent (2 stations away). Presumably if
the first passenger hadn't told me, nobody else would have
bothered and the train would have still carried on without any
body caring.

If this is the mentality of people who are travelling in the
current situation, then there is no hope for anybody!

The number of incidents caused by unattended luggage is truly
staggering. Well over 2/3s of the daily report for LU is security
related at present and most are unattended items.

I can think of only two occasions when I have left something
unattended - and they were both while on holiday in other
countries. I really, really struggle to understand how people can
leave stuff unattended or behind in normal circumstances never mind
those we are in now. Anyone got a clue as to how people do it?

Well, let's start with you (purely in the interests of research, you
understand). How did you come to leave something unattended? Was the
fact that you were on holiday in another country relevant? There must
be many tube passengers in London in precisely those circumstances.

I suspect that it often happens when (a) you are carrying something that
you don't normally carry, and (b) you have something important on your
mind that distracts you from other matters.

I would have thought that LU might have done some research on the
subject. For what proportion of unattended items are their owners
subsequently identified, and are the owners quizzed about why/how they
managed to leave the items?
--
Richard J.

Old August 2nd 05, 08:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On the rare occasions when I can face travelling on the tube I always
keep my bag tightly clutched too me. I'm too worried about some tea
leaf making off with it.

Neill

Old August 3rd 05, 10:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Tim Tim is offline

In this sort of situation, would the correct thing to to be to pull the
lever to talk to the driver?

Old August 3rd 05, 01:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Tim writes

In this sort of situation, would the correct thing to to be to pull the
lever to talk to the driver?

It would on my train.