Old August 1st 05, 11:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Don't worry, it's not a bomb!

Get to Chalk Farm NB last night.

Departing passenger knocks on cab door "There's an unattended rucksack on
this car".

Go check and find that there is indeed an unattended rucksack in the car,
complete with about 20 passengers.

Detrain, telling everybody to leave the station and close the doors on the
car. Another passenger says to me - "the person who had the rucksack got
off at Mornington Crescent - he was drunk".

So, the scenario is:

3 weeks ago - three bombs explode on trains and one on a bus, many people
killed.
1½ weeks ago - at least 4(?) devices are detonated, but fail to explode
On both days, the bombs were in rucksacks.

Passenger gets off at Mornington Crescent. Rucksack is left unattended in
full view of everybody. At least two passengers notice it. Nobody bothers
about it.
Train continues to next station, Camden Town - still nobody bothered about
the rucksack

I am told about the rucksack by passenger at Chalk Farm, who is getting of
the train there anyway.

I am told by a detrained passenger that the rucksack was left unattended
at Mornington Crescent (2 stations away). Presumably if the first
passenger hadn't told me, nobody else would have bothered and the train
would have still carried on without any body caring.

If this is the mentality of people who are travelling in the current
situation, then there is no hope for anybody!

The station is closed, then Supervisor turns up, goes in the car and
rummages through rucksack before removing it. Apparently that's the
procedure. Fine by me! - I'll leave it to the station staff to sort out
and reappear when given the all clear. :-)

Roger

Old August 1st 05, 12:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
Get to Chalk Farm NB last night.

Departing passenger knocks on cab door "There's an unattended rucksack on
this car".

I would love it if all luggage left unattended was destroyed. Have you ever
seen Monsters Inc, the film? A child's sock gets through into Monster World;
special troops cover the sock with a metal dome, screw the dome to the floor
and set of an explosion, annihilating the sock. Every station should have
one!

Old August 1st 05, 06:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 06:25:33 -0500, wrote:

Get to Chalk Farm NB last night.

Departing passenger knocks on cab door "There's an unattended rucksack on
this car".

[snip]
I am told by a detrained passenger that the rucksack was left unattended
at Mornington Crescent (2 stations away). Presumably if the first
passenger hadn't told me, nobody else would have bothered and the train
would have still carried on without any body caring.

If this is the mentality of people who are travelling in the current
situation, then there is no hope for anybody!

The number of incidents caused by unattended luggage is truly
staggering. Well over 2/3s of the daily report for LU is security
related at present and most are unattended items.

I can think of only two occasions when I have left something unattended
- and they were both while on holiday in other countries. I really,
really struggle to understand how people can leave stuff unattended or
behind in normal circumstances never mind those we are in now. Anyone
got a clue as to how people do it?

A woman left her handbag unattended at my local bus stop the morning
after the 7 July bombings. It was only when I asked if the bag belonged
to anyone that the penny suddenly dropped and she sheepishly retrieved
it.
--
Paul C

Old August 1st 05, 06:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

The number of incidents caused by unattended luggage is truly
staggering. Well over 2/3s of the daily report for LU is security
related at present and most are unattended items.

I can think of only two occasions when I have left something unattended
- and they were both while on holiday in other countries. I really,
really struggle to understand how people can leave stuff unattended or
behind in normal circumstances never mind those we are in now. Anyone
got a clue as to how people do it?

It is important to remember that just as not everyone has the same
physical prowess, so not everyone has the same mental prowess.

In some cases it is merely a predisposition towards forgetfulness, but
in others it can be the early stages of dementia, a condition which
affects a very large number of people in this country. Sadly, I have
seen loved ones regressing from forgetting bags and keys to forgetting
where they live, and eventually forgetting to whom they are married and
who are their children.

--
Paul Terry
Old August 1st 05, 06:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
[...]

And then there are the clowns who insist on reading the Quran outloud in a
carriage........
I've had 3 reports incurring a delay of males of Asian appearance carying
rucksacks doing just that.
Wonder why?

Mal

Old August 1st 05, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 19:50:21 +0100, Paul Terry
wrote:
[unattended luggage]

It is important to remember that just as not everyone has the same
physical prowess, so not everyone has the same mental prowess.

In some cases it is merely a predisposition towards forgetfulness, but
in others it can be the early stages of dementia, a condition which
affects a very large number of people in this country. Sadly, I have
seen loved ones regressing from forgetting bags and keys to forgetting
where they live, and eventually forgetting to whom they are married and
who are their children.

Fair comment - I hadn't thought of those sorts of issues.
--
Paul C

Old August 1st 05, 10:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
Get to Chalk Farm NB last night.

If this is the mentality of people who are travelling in the current
situation, then there is no hope for anybody!

Yep this is the mentality of people travelling.

I have seen two unattended bags in the last fortnight
and was off to find somebody to tell when the owner
came back, everybody else just ignored them.

tim