Old September 21st 06, 12:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Told you so (was: Route 13 Routemasters)

Mark Brader wrote:

This summer I spent some time in Chicago. I never rode a bus while
I was there, but several times I was walking along the street when
one stopped near me. And *guess what*...!

While an automated voice would be unhelpful, there would be a use in
buses having a speaker on the outside and a microphone with the driver,
to say things like "Service 9 is the second bus waiting at the stop"
and other helpful bits.

Neil

Old September 21st 06, 07:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Neil Williams ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

This summer I spent some time in Chicago. I never rode a bus while
I was there, but several times I was walking along the street when
one stopped near me. And *guess what*...!

While an automated voice would be unhelpful, there would be a use in
buses having a speaker on the outside and a microphone with the driver,
to say things like "Service 9 is the second bus waiting at the stop"
and other helpful bits.

"Farkin' get on wiv it - We 'avven gorrall day, y'know"
Old September 22nd 06, 09:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 13:02:39 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Mark Brader wrote:
In the Referenced article, last October, someone wrote:

And what about discriminating against those that cannot read at all?
Surely the only legal alternative is to have a sound system
installed near the front doors of all buses, blaring out the
number, destination and via points for the benefit of the
partially-sighted, blind and illiterate.

And I pleaded:
Please don't give them ideas!

Too late.

This summer I spent some time in Chicago. I never rode a bus while
I was there, but several times I was walking along the street when
one stopped near me. And *guess what*...!

When they do that in London, they'll do it in 15 languages.

Not including English.

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com