Old December 30th 05, 09:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Doors Open

With temperatures at zero and below in London during the last few days, why do
passengers on Underground trains stopping at surface stations having to endure
an icy blast with doors unnecessarily opening?

David Bradley

Old December 30th 05, 11:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Bradley wrote:
With temperatures at zero and below in London during the last few days, why do
passengers on Underground trains stopping at surface stations having to endure
an icy blast with doors unnecessarily opening?

Do Tube trains even have door opening buttons anymore? I know the newer
District line stock doesn't, including the refurbished D (?) stock.
Although.. I remember they *used* to leave the doors shut during winter,
so presumably the system still works for those trains with buttons.

--
Alex Watson s/deadspam/froup/ to reply
http://www.zen24203.zen.co.uk/
Old December 30th 05, 11:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Alex Watson wrote:
Do Tube trains even have door opening buttons anymore? I know the newer
District line stock doesn't, including the refurbished D (?) stock.
Although.. I remember they *used* to leave the doors shut during winter,
so presumably the system still works for those trains with buttons.

You certainly don't need to press the button anymore on any LUL trains
in my experience. I'm sure you used to press the open button on the
Central Line trains, but can't remember when I last did it. Can you
still close them, or is control completely removed for the passenger?

Old December 31st 05, 07:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Jonathan Morris wrote:
Alex Watson wrote:
Do Tube trains even have door opening buttons anymore? I know the newer
District line stock doesn't, including the refurbished D (?) stock.
Although.. I remember they *used* to leave the doors shut during winter,
so presumably the system still works for those trains with buttons.

You certainly don't need to press the button anymore on any LUL trains
in my experience. I'm sure you used to press the open button on the
Central Line trains, but can't remember when I last did it. Can you
still close them, or is control completely removed for the passenger?

I don't think there have ever been any close door buttons on the
Underground. The first time since the 1930s or 1940s that buttons were
introduced was on the D stock on the District, and pretty soon they got
into a pattern of just opening all the doors in summer, but leaving the
passengers to open them (not close them) in the winter. They also had
a system where, when standing at the terminus, one door per carriage
would be open.

I can't remember having to use the door open buttons anywhere on the
Underground since the Jubilee Line Extension opened. Presumably this
was something to do with the doors being linked to the platform edge
doors on that line. Why they then stopped being used on other lines I
don't know.

On the DLR passengers always have to open the doors, but can't close
them.

Old December 31st 05, 08:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

I don't think there have ever been any close door buttons on the
Underground.

Doesn't the Central line have them?

Old December 31st 05, 10:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

TKD wrote:
I don't think there have ever been any close door buttons on the
Underground.

Doesn't the Central line have them?

I didn't think so, but I spose I'll have to check now.

Old December 31st 05, 10:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Alex Watson" wrote in message

Do Tube trains even have door opening buttons anymore? I know the newer
District line stock doesn't, including the refurbished D (?) stock.
Although.. I remember they *used* to leave the doors shut during winter,
so presumably the system still works for those trains with buttons.

--
Alex Watson s/deadspam/froup/ to reply

Drivers operate the doors to avoid delays.

Old December 31st 05, 11:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"TKD" wrote in message
I don't think there have ever been any close door buttons on the
Underground.

Doesn't the Central line have them?

The Central Line does have door open buttons, actually located on the door
itself.
However, I've never had to use them.